• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

shooting sticks for rifles.

Hoffer

So, I am hunting with my daughter from a ground blind this year. i wanted to make sure she has some kind of stand so she can rest her rifle on it to shoot. Normally i am in a tree stand and rest my gun against the tree or a side of the stand etc...

So, I was looking at shooting sticks and the only decent ones i could find that telescope to any kind of decent length were the single poles or the double poles. I couldnt find a decent "tripod". I actually settled on a single leg stick. I saw some bipod ones as well. But for the price - this single one seemed pretty good. So, my question is...has anyone had experience with the single stick?? Will it still balance decently? or would you really, really recommend a bi or tri? I have not taken it out of the package yet and am going to wait until i hear from some of you guys.

Thanks!!

Hoffer

I'd vote for the collapsable shooting sticks, bipod or two stick style. I have the single or monopod one you are talking about and never use it anymore, unless standing up is required. The shooting sticks work awesome. You can adjust the height when sitting by moving one or both sticks closer together or further apart, they "dig" into the ground to become very solid and the "third" leg of them (aka tripod)is the shooter.

My twelve yr old son practiced with them a bit and gets anchored pretty solid and figured out quickly how to use them. I once used a tripod set and found the third leg wasn't useful and too difficult to use unless the animal was standing still for a long period of time which never seems to happen.

I have used 2 styles of shooting sticks. The bipod style collapsable that resemble tent poles and a single monopod style stick. the bipod style lasted a season and a half then the bungy in one of the sticks broke. I replaced it with a monopod pole. I hunt from the ground, no blind and have found the monopod to be more versatile and more sturdy. having used both, i will not go back to the bipod style.

I us a walking stick, its helps me get around and makes a great shooting stick. The single stick can be made to any height out of 1 1/2 inch hardwood dowel. You can make a good two stick shooting stick set-up from two 5/8 inch dowels and 6 heavy rubber bands. Made a few and they work nice, as before you make it to the height you want. I make a short one for sitting and tall one for standing

I us a walking stick, its helps me get around and makes a great shooting stick. The single stick can be made to any height out of 1 1/2 inch hardwood dowel or in my case a old stick I found on a beaver dam. You can make a good two stick shooting stick set-up from two 5/8 inch dowels and 6 heavy rubber bands. Made a few and they work nice, as before you make it to the height you want. I make a short one for sitting and tall one for standing when walking.

I bought a Primos Trigger Stick last year and LOVE it. It's just a single stick, but that's all you really need. Plus, the trigger allows for quick and quiet adjustment if needed.

Now for your daughter, depending on what she can handle, a bi-pod or tri-pod may be the way to go, simply because they're more stable than a single stick.