• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Light Biting Fish...Think Small and Slow...

Matt Johnson

When the fish are biting light and reacting negatively to you conventional methods, then its time to change up the pace. Going smaller and fishing slower is key right now. Fish are feeding on small microscopic organisms and they are becoming more and more less willing to chase a bait. For negative fish I down scale and fish slow.

Here's what I have rigged on my rods right now:

• Rod 1: Size 10 red glow Fatboy (will switch back and forth with a size 12 too)
  • Rod 2: Size 10 Ratso- Pink head and white body
  • Rod 3: Size 10 Ratso- All black
  • Rod 4: 1/64 oz Hi-glow flame Safe Jig
  • Rod 5: 1/200 oz Talon Tear

I also bring euro larvae, tiny minnows, and Bio Bait Ice Bits. Often times only tipped the jig with a single larva or Ice Bit is the way to go. I'm also using flourocarbon Vanish line in 2 pound test. P-Line is good too. Spring bobbers are nice, as are the small Ice Buster Bobbers cut down to size so that the bobber barely stays a float, the slightest pull gust of air should cause it to sink.

Also remember to slow down your jigging speed and try to keep it to a wiggle or twitch, instead of a bounce or jump. Often times the larva, minnow, or jig will produce enough movement when a fish closes in to trigger a strike without you applying any movements.

Pay attention to really light biters, and anything out of the ordinary can mean a fish has inhaled the bait.

Don't hesitate to try a plain hook too. That will work sometimes as well.

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
First Choice Guide Service

[email protected]
Iceleaders
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy

Matt as i look at the way you got your rods rig my are 90% the same. i have a hard time with the fatboy as i watch the fish hit it they take the head so i get tured off quick by that and switch to a foreg fry. Fishing this year has been hard but have had one of my best years. One thing i have tried this year is the colored split shoots you got to love them i will start paniting my own now.

------------------
EL CRAPPIE SLAYER

St.Paul. How did you do yesterday. I tried to mail you but it would not go through. Maybe it is me. Going out tonight? Nice break in the weather and time to burn up a few SMALL crappie minnows. I am with you both. Small and slow is the ticket now.

Ice jigs are good for open water as well. I'll often times tip an ice jig with maggots or a minnow below a bobber for spring time crappies and gills. Ratso's will work, and you won't need bait on them either during open water.

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
First Choice Guide Service

[email protected]
Iceleaders
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy

Hey Matt or Rennenberg,
I have always wanted to try this but never have, Do you think using some small flys, like a San Diego Worm,or someting smaller, would get some fish biting?
Hmmm..., Tonight I am going to go home and figure out a way to make this work, and give it a try Wednesday night.

Dan...There is just such a thread that got some activity on it a day or so ago....maribou thru ice. Ask the author for an email regarding what he found to work. I don't think he wants to spread this much, but the unit he is referring to should be hot everywhere for pannies and craps.

------------------
Plastics...making better fishermen without bait! Good Fishing Guys! CrappieTom
[email protected]

since i think i kinda got the idea of using flies under the ice started here so i will throw my 2 cents in . the floating types of flies havent worked for me . this dont mean they wont in a different setting than i tried them . ones i have been useing are small weighted ones .i have no idea of the names of them .

I tried a couple of the smallest fly's I have last night, had a lot of lookers but couldn't coax a fish to take a bite. I will experiment some more this coming weekend and let you know. I just wish I could remember the names of those flys. On Sat I am going to try the San Diego Worm that always catches trout for me when I fish the Bighorn River in Montana. I am going to try the same set-up I use there.
Will post results on Monday.

Sorry I forgot to take my flys with me this weekend, so I didn't have a chance to try anything new. But the way the sunnies were biting on Sat afternoon I might have got one to take a fly. there is always next weekend...

i'm a young gun, but i'll put in my money's worth. we've been hitting the crappies pretty hard onlake sallie by Detroit Lakes. I' have outfished the people i've been fishing with the last three or four times by going with the smallest minnows i can find. they have stuck with fat heads and have had many fish show up on a vex. but not eat. another little trick i've been using is to cut the tail off of the minnows, about halway between the tail and the dorsal fin. and then slide the hook up through the flesh and out the top of the minnow. i think this makes them much easier to present for the fishermen because the minnows respond exactly to what your jigging presentation is, and also much easier for a fish to eat.those fat heads can go nuts when the fish roll around and i think that passive fish will ignore them. most the time jig color hasn't made much of a difference although a white fat boy is doing pretty good.
good luck. i'm going to start paying attention to this forum now that march is rolling around.
gophish.

Actually I've been using the Shrimpo and Ratso jigs all season and have done quite well. Last night I wasn't doing so hot and switched to large glow demons and fatheads before I started catching slabs (my typical late season presentation). Even managed about 75 bull sunfish by adding waxies to those same demons. Some of those gills were pushing 1#+, which is weird for Tonka.

From here on out I'll only go LARGE. Now is the time when they will take a bigger presentation over a smaller one...not always, but more often in my opinion. Give it a shot...you may be happy with your results.

------------------
Tonka Boy

Tonka Boy,
You should try the 1/16 oz Glow Devils. Gold/red for bull gills and crappies during the day (minnow head is my favorite) and glow white/pink for nice slabs w/ minnow head in low light conditions. It's a killer presentation for me in all lakes.

Big glo Demons and fatheads for crops...interesting! I've never tried that. I have done pretty good with small Fuzegrubs and fatheads in the spring after ice out but not on the ice. I will try it, though not with the fuzegrubs. Thanks for the tip!

------------------
(aftacrops nolonga)