• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Goodbye Molly

jwmiller33

I hate to have to post another one of these threads, but today, my family and I had to put down our beloved golden retreiver Molly. Here I sit, 24 years old and Molly was to turn 14 this winter, it feels like she has been a part of my life forever. She was a great dog who had a smile on her face 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The great thing about dogs is their unrestricted love for everyone, and Molly was no different. She played a key role in not only my life, but the lives of my brother and two sisters, my mom, several other family members and countless friends.

Molly had lived a great and long life. In her latter years, us kids would always toss her table scraps to my mom's dismay (I mean how can you say no to the puppy eyed, grey face look she gives you). A couple years down the road and my mom fell victim to those puppy dog eyes and she too would give Molly a small part of each meal we cooked, even if it was just a small piece of brocoli or something, Molly would goble it up like it is filet mignon (it was the thought that counts). In the past year, I would always save the last few bites of whatever I was eating to toss to Molly. The way we saw it, she lived a great and long first decade and we decided we were going to spoil her with whatever time we had left.

Molly lived at my moms house in the Twin Cities. I got a new job shortly after graduating college and moved back up to Duluth, which made it hard to move away from Molly "for good". This past weekend, I was in the cities and spent the majority of the time with Molly. I took her for a ride around town and to Chipotle and let her finish off the last 1/4 of my burrito (in one quick gulp). Then, we went to the lake and drove around in the boat for a while (while I ran the gas out of the motor before winterizing). Here she is enjoying her last boat ride:

full-27725-13474-imag0300.jpg

It is extremely hard to lose anyone in your life. When it is someone who loves you unconditionally, it is even harder. For those of you with a dog at home, take an extra ten minutes tonight and toss that tennis ball a few more times and give a good belly scratch before you go to bed. Your time you have with your canine friend is numbered and please give your best effort to cherish the time you have left.

RIP Molly

cant help it but your story about Molly brings a few tears just like the others who have lost their loved family members. i was reading your story and my lab pup rang the bell at the back door by the deck. so i let her out and she took off in the back yard and for the first time chased down a squirel. put a smile on my face after reading your story.

you bet i'll be rubbing her belly and give her all the love i can for years to come. i've been down that road before. it's very hard. real hard. love that picture of Molly in the boat. i'm sure you will treasure it always. take care, Reinhard.

Sorry for your loss, sounds like Molly had a life that alot of dogs would love to have, I know we would like the good ones to live forever, but 14 years is a pretty good run, and the best part is you got to spend some quality time with her at the end. Iv'e got one that is 11 and I know it's not going to last forever, not looking forward to that day at all...

Rest well Molly.

Having just been through this myself, I'm finding it tough to write any type of response that makes sense. Must be all the dust in the garage tonight making it tough to see the keyboard. Thoughts and prayers out to you Jake, and the whole family as well.