• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

All Day or Two Half Days?

deerminator

I think I asked this last year but can’t find the post and am looking for your current perspective. If you could take a day off next week, would you take a full day to sit all day or two half days and why? I’m thinking about taking off Friday, getting in real early and leaving when shooting light ends in one of my best spots.

Well I'm actually taking two days, but if I had one to play with I'd just rather have the whole day off work. I still most likely won't sit all day either day, but it depends on the conditions & what I'm seeing. Seems to me like deer are moving better in the mornings than the evenings right now.

I would do 2 halves. I work at 430pm so I wouldnt have to go in till 10 and wouild have 2 whole days to hunt. I wouldnt get much sleep but who needs that! Guess it depends on your schedual. 8-5 I would do 2 halves. one mornign one evening, I get too antsy sitting all day.

I am taking the whole week off next week as I always do just for the rut and all the fun out there this time of year. Now if it were me I would take two half days off for the reason of the weather. The day you choose may not be ideal so that gives you another chance at the right weather. Lay a pee line down on the first half day and if you see nothing that scent may still keep a buck in the area until you get out on the next half day. You don't mention if you would take morning or evening off. Me... I like the evening were I am at but mornings can be good also. What ever you choose good luck and you are for sure picking a good week to take the time off. Sounds like it is heating up in them there woods. I know I had some dandy's on my trail cam last week and they were out in the day light. One non typical and a large 8 point is what I can't seem to get out of my head. Lol

Thanks guys. That's what I'm thinking - two afternoons. To get to the cover, my only option is to walk a good distance across various ag fields where the deer might still be feeding. So my thought is, less chance of spooking them out for the rest of the morning if I don't head out until about lunchtime. I can also take my time and enter a little more quietly in the light than I could stumbling through the cut corn in the dark. When I leave as shooting light ends, I just go heads down and move out as quick as I can trying to walk through low spots and dips in the terrain I've mapped out beforehand. Crunch, crunch, crunch!

Right now, I've decided to stay at a four way stop, where two cut cornfields, a finger of woods with a creek, and a grassland/bedding area all collide. A number of paths meet about 20 yards from my blind which has been up for 3 weeks now. I've thought about moving deeper into the cover but like my ability to enter and exit fairly stealthily from this spot.

Nice suggestion on the pee rag. I've started doing the rag dragging behind my boots with estrus scent now. Last year, I had a buck follow the trail in, which is the first time ever. I was amazed, like that works?! Finally.

In a perfect world, I'd take the half days and hunt both morning and night but that takes some pretty good job flexibility. With what you've said about your location I'd agree with your afternoon idea. The only thing that would change my mind on that would be if you could see a storm or front forecast to hit during the afternoon, then I'd likely hunt mornings. I've seen some very good actions on calm morning before high winds pick up in the afternoon.

I've only had one buck ever follow my drag rag but I keep on using it just in case. I need all the help I can get

In a perfect world, I'd take the half days and hunt both morning and night but that takes some pretty good job flexibility.

Wow why haven't I thought of this before!!! My vacation is already booked with a few half days sprinkled in there but this might have to happen next year. I could work 10-2 and hunt morning and night.