• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Run Gas Out Every Time?

UMC

I also believe that brp or any other manufacture cannot force you to use brand specific products. It'd my understanding that they can suggest "product A or equivalent"
This is correct, however, I suspect that there is no equivalent. It may be a proprietary formula. Also, that law applies to parts for sure. Almost any part can reverse engineered. I am not sure about chemical formulations.

What's that law that if they specify a particular product to keep your warranty they have to supply it? The Magnuson-Moss act or something?

Found it

"© Prohibition on conditions for written or implied warranty; waiver by Commission.

No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumer's using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name; except that the prohibition of this subsection may be waived by the Commission if -

(1) the warrantor satisfies the Commission that the warranted product will function properly only if the article or service so identified is used in connection with the warranted product, and

(2) the Commission finds that such a waiver is in the public interest. The Commission shall identify in the Federal Register, and permit public comment on, all applications for waiver of the prohibition of this subsection, and shall publish in the Federal Register its disposition of any such application, including the reasons therefor. "

Isopropanal is the main ingredient in things like HEET that we have used for years in our older cars to fight moisture in the gas and thaw out gas lines... Everclear would work in a pinch....

Actually the most commonly used form of HEET is the yellow bottle and this one contains methanol. But you are correct that you can get it in a red bottle, which contains isopropanol.

How in the heck is the dealer going to prove what is in the gas or oil other than sending off a sample for chemical analysis. I really doubt that neither the dealer or the manufacture is going go through that instead of repairing a warranted motor.

35 years ago when I first started boating and running outboards some old sage on the ramp told be to run the fuel out which I did for 10 or 15 years. Then a dealer mechanic told me not to so I quit. You know what happened.........Nothing, either way; the motors always started and ran fine.

Every year I get toward the end of the season I run the fuel out as much as possible and try to get some fresh gas in the tank. I figure better to store October gas for three months rather than gas purchased in August. I used to treat the gas with Stabil, but now I use AMSOIL gas treatment on the recommendation of a trusted motorhead.

I

didnt read every post in this thread

but from what i did read

now remember i'm old!!!!

i have never really believed much in all these additives

in the fall i use to drain and repleace old lower unit grease

pull the plugs shoot alittle oil in the cylinders turn it over a few times...gas usally below half would fill it up with premium in the spring and my last motor lasted 18yrs (evinrude)

just my opinion..i'm not the brightest star in the sky...lol

Have have 82 merc 50, and 97 merc 150efi (and a 96 rude 20hp). Both get used at least 3 days per week from April/May until ice up, if not more (2 of us use them). Basically, we just run non-oxy with a bit o' Seafoam now and then all summer, make sure to add some while using in November leading up to end of open water. We never run them out of gas, and just change the loer unit lube after that, and we are done, with whatever amount of gas is in the tank. with my 6 gallon cans for the small motors I will empty those (go into truck) and use new gas in spring. Essentially the 50 is 30 years old, and still runs like a champ, every weekend gets lots of hours. My two cents, but we don't even fog.

Its sounds like you are running a smaller outboard and storing it long term after using it in the fall. In that case, I would run it empty and fog the engine to stall it as others have suggested. On a larger motor I usually store it about 1/2 to 3/4 full with stabilizer and Yamaha brand "Ring Free" (I think I have that name right). Just like stabilizer, you need to make sure that the additive makes it thru the entire system before shutting the motor down for storage. I then fill it before starting it up for the first time in the spring. The ring free additive is expensive but it provides the corrosion protection and freedom from sticking that could happen in storage - highly recommended.