• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

monovision

bucketmouth64

I wear contacts and I've been given the option of having monovision or normal vision. With monovision I can read normal paperwork, but I sacrifice some distant vision. The other option is I have better distant vision, but sacrifice reading material in which I need to wear cheaters. Anyone like the monovision? I am trying them both, but not sure which to do. It's nice not to wear cheaters when reading, but there are times I can't see distant as well as I like. Sometimes the scroll news on espn is difficult to read with monovision. I've was told that many people in my age group get the lasik monovision. Don't want to spend that much.

I don't wear contacts but I have a thought. You don't like cheaters. When you are in need of distance vision are you outside? Do you wear sunglasses? Can you see the TV without glasses? During the day I seldom need to see far very clearly. I wear sunglasses whenever I'm outside during the day and so mono vision glasses work ok for that. If I was going to do it, and I'm not, I would opt for clear close.

I can see the tv ok with mono, but sometimes it's hard to see some of the smaller stuff. I guess my distant issue is more related to outdoors. Some street signs are bit fuzzy until I drive closer to them. I think my aim while hunting isn't as sharp, not that I'm a good shot. What I might do since I have the contact for distance is use that in situations like hunting, fishing, where I need more distant focus and stay with mono for everyday applications since I deal with close up stuff(reading) more often on a daily basis.

The only time I wear my contacts is when I am doing outdoor stuff. My vision is pretty decent without the contacts but with them on it improves to right around 20/15 but I lose my up close so bad that I need cheaters. For driving and what not I have two pair of glasses, regular and a pair of prescription sun glasses. This method has worked out pretty good for me so far, but it is really up to you and what you feel is the most important aspect of you vision.

If it was me, I might have both alternatives, that is probably 3 boxes of lenses, and they are like 6 dollars a lens or 35 per box. Then go uni if you are going to be outside all day, and mono if inside.

Or does switching back and forth bother you?

For years I messed around with all kinds of contacts and finally opted for one pair of bifocal glasses. I was never was satisfied with the clarity of mono vision. With the normal vision contacts I got tired of using cheaters, at least looking for them all the time. I even thought of having Lasiks, but would have sitll had to use cheaters. The only time I liked either type was when I was snowmobiling. Given the amount of time spent snowmobiling as compaired to everything else that was a minimal gain so I choose to go back to glasses.