• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Good for a laugh!

JigginGopher

My brother shot a nice 8 pointer over the weekend. Nothing huge but respectable. While walking back to his truck after registering it, some guy was looking at his deer. As my brother approaches the guys say, "i just passed on one the exact same size this morning." Then he comes out with the kicker, "For me, no point in shooting anything under 160 or it just ends up in my rack basket with all the fork horns anyway." HAHAHAHA. Gotta love some guys. Especially the ones who pass on anything under 160 yet somehow has a rack basket with fork horns!

Nice... if you don't have anything nice to say, don't open your mouth. There was a point where I didn't "get it" too, but I'd like to think that was long ago. I'm an advocate of QDM and I pass on many smaller bucks. That being said, a trophy is only a trophy to the guy who shot it. If you don't think a deer is a trophy, don't shoot it. If someone else shot a deer you wouldn't have shot, be a decent human being and congratulate them on getting the deer and go about the rest of your life.

yep that man has 8-point envy. We used to hunt with a group of guys and we had a few of them in the group. I remember one year one of the younger guys that was like that I was trying to push a small chunk of woods towards a few guys it just so happened that the deeer turned and ran back toward me so I shot what turned out to be a small 8. when it died it fell down hill into some pretty thick nasty stuff to thick and steep to get the wheeler into so as a group we went to drag it up and out of h-e-l-l were it had came to rest. we all took turns exept the one young hunter.I thought to myself what a baby but paybacks are always good. two days later he shoots a litle buck off of a snowmobile trail at dark I rode past him on the wheeler slowed down and asked how it was going panting he says not bad now that your here oh why is that he says you drag it out with your wheeler. I said yes I could but I wont I didnt shoot it and drove away. Got back to the truck loaded up the wheeler and sat on my tailgate enjoying a soda with my own son eventaully the rest of our party showed up at that spot to shoot the breeze when the kids dad asked(by kid he was about 25) any one know where he is I said yep he dragging out his deer. Me being the only one with a wheeler he says why dont you help him out. To witch Ireplied the same thing I was told a few days sooner why I didnt shoot it. looked his dad in the eye and told him sometimes lifes lessons have to come hard.

Yep. Been bowhunting 7 years now and got into it myself by myself other than the help from the guys at the pro shop who have been invaluable. I've made a lot of mistakes and I've taken a lot of small deer at first in an attempt to become more proficient. The kicker was my second year when I brought in my yearling doe to the registration station and a "seasoned" hunter ribbed me pretty hard about it. This was opening morning of gun season. I just smiled at him and his "veteran" cohorts and said, "so what did you guys shoot? I took this doe from 5 yards on the ground with my bow. What you shoot with your guns from your treestands?" They acted like I was the jack-donkey, though I was being slightly defensive.

I do have a good time with my father-in-law who doesn't hunt but often hauls my deer for me in his truck. One time he joked around with our relatives (over a couple of brews) that once a year I call him to haul some little thing up to the processor. So when I scored on a fairly nice full-bodied buck, my first, 3 years ago, I called him up and started off the call with "hey smart-donkey, I need your help." Lol. This past winter I took what had to be my largest bodied deer yet, a very mature hoss of a doe on Dec. 15 on her way to eat supper. The neighbor and I could hardly lift her onto the truck and he said he never realized deer were so heavy, to which my father in law replied with a wicked grin, "not all of them are." Lol

Nice... if you don't have anything nice to say, don't open your mouth. There was a point where I didn't "get it" too, but I'd like to think that was long ago. I'm an advocate of QDM and I pass on many smaller bucks. That being said, a trophy is only a trophy to the guy who shot it. If you don't think a deer is a trophy, don't shoot it. If someone else shot a deer you wouldn't have shot, be a decent human being and congratulate them on getting the deer and go about the rest of your life.

+1

I am happy to whatever a person decides to harvest, I passed up on a nice 8 pointer on Saturday at 6 yards. I have set a goal this year of nothing less than outside the ears. He was close, not saying I wouldn't have proud, because I sure would have been! Personal goals are just that, would I critize someone for less? ABSOLUTELY NOT! If he walks by later in the year, I may change my mind. wink

a trophy is definatly in the eyes of the beholder. Whether it be a world class buck or that springs fawn. If you played you cards right, put in your time, and got a shot on that critter, its a trophy. About every other year I shoot a lone fawn, thinking its a doe. So what not a big deal, as long as the kill was clean, I got no reason at all to be disapointed with myself, or anyone for that matter.

The only reason I won't shoot a small doe or spike buck is that I only get one deer in my permit area. So my "trophy" changes throughout the season. On opener, it's nice buck. Mid-season, it's a mature deer. Come December, I'm game for some venison. smile

BTW, most people who arent't bowhunters, and especially those who don't hunt at all, have always been amazed we can shoot a deer, any deer at all with a bow. It takes a lot of practice, skill, determination and patience to do, even on an uneducated fawn. You still have to make the shot, even if they stand there for you and you must have scouted and found just the right spot to have that opportunity in the first place. It's an accomplishment, period. Sometimes I think a lot of us, including myself, take that for granted. Oh, I just got a doe or a little one. Or we apologize for the size of the deer given all the rack envy. There's no need to apologize! Either way, big buck or little doe, you've got a great memory. I put the stalk on a yearling doe from a couple of hundred feet and closed the deal and its still probably my most memorable hunt to date. Man, I'd love to go out west and stalk a deer, any deer, again. That's intense but my hunting conditions don't usually lend themself to it.

Agree with everything you stated in your post deerminator.

I've hunted white tails for 3 years now with a rifle and 2 of those years I hunted hard. Days and days of vacation taken to be out there during the week and extend my weekends, thousands of miles driven to scout, prepare and hunt in various locations I had access to, mostly public. With all that my harvest total is still 0 and yet this year I took the leap and bought a bow so I could hunt even that much more to increase my chances... still have a harvest count of 0. But I can tell you, small doe, big doe, spike or massive buck I'll be proud of any of them as it will be my first. I've seen deer past and even this season but have not had an opportunity at a clean shot so I've not taken it.... here is hoping soon, be nice to get that first one off my back. I don't have rack envy.... I have DEER ENVY, lol, so congrats on the 8 pointer and here I thought just getting an 8 was good, didn't even know had to be a certain size 8 wink