• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

steel shot thru a full choke

i have an older winchester that has a full choke thats not interchangeable and id like to use it duck hunting but ive heard from some friends its not good to shoot steel thru it is this a myth or is it true has anyone tried this any info would be very helpful thanks

IMO not a good idea. Steel has the potential of damaging your barrel if the choke is too tight for the load.

I've done it in the past without any noticeable damage but it was carelessness on my part for not pulling out the choke to see what I had in the gun.

I know you said it's not interchangeable on your old Winchester. Is another cheaper gun with interchangeable chokes out of the question?

Hey jaydog: If you like that old Winchester here's what to do: pry open your wallet and buy some NON TOX shotgun shells which will NOT harm your gun. They WILL cost more money, but ya know what?....you will be more careful each time you pull the trigger.

And you will also find the notox loads kill quicker and cleaner than the steel.....they are VERY much like lead.

Shoot your good old gun and shoot non tox shells. You'll be a happy man.

Hey jaydog: If you like that old Winchester here's what to do: pry open your wallet and buy some NON TOX shotgun shells which will NOT harm your gun. They WILL cost more money, but ya know what?....you will be more careful each time you pull the trigger.

And you will also find the notox loads kill quicker and cleaner than the steel.....they are VERY much like lead.

Shoot your good old gun and shoot non tox shells. You'll be a happy man.

I'm in the same boat. Old Winchester with a full choke and I want to take it pheasant hunting this weekend on some public land that requires steel (or non-toxic ammo). What non-tox ammo would you recomend?

Any one of the several now available will work fine. I would think twice about having my old shotgun tapped for screw in chokes though. There goes half the resale value of the gun when you do it and remember the steel is different. Don't misunderstand: I'm sure a competent gunsmith can DO it-but just consider carefully before you commit to it.

Shot non tox. Shoot with more care.....and trust me, when each shell is a buck fifty or more, you'll take care! Ha Ha Ha

Started shooting the Bismuth loads when they first came out in all my old Parkers etc. and spit in the face of the steel shot thugs.

Looks like a good weekend coming fellas, grab a couple boxes of non-tox and head out.

I am really sorry to hear that Nels. You might have to go to one of the big places to find some. I get it by the case at that place the two brothers founded back in the 60's.

What a shame it is not more readily available. Trust me....you do not HAVE to be forced into shooting steel.

BREAKING NEWS!!

Learned the "C" boys and others are not carrying much in the way of 2 3/4 non tox any longer so it may be harder to find than I thought. Have been hoarding my own Bismuth and Hevi-Shot in that length on 12 and 20 and was going to sell all of it until a couple days back-then decided to hang onto it.

You will STILL be able, I am sure, to find the ammo you need for your old Winchester but they are not going to make it easy. The fat cat CEO's want EVERYBODY to shoot cheap steel shells in plastic stocked black painted shotguns.

They'll have to pry my burlwood walnut stocked rust-blued hand rubbed Parkers,Brownings,Foxes,L.C.Smiths, Purdys and Holland%Hollands from my cold dead fingers!! Har dee Har!!!

I stopped at the 3 biggest retail stores in St. Cloud, that carry ammo, and none of them carry any non-toxic shot, other than steel, for a 12 ga, 2 3/4" gun. Everything was for 3" or 3 1/2". mad

Nels

Don't forget to check out the turkey hunting section in the stores,you might hit the jackpot I had to get some for turkey hunting the waterfowl areas in sconnie. Heavy shot with the flight control wad I do believe is what I got.