• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Heads up to hunters

Trapper J

Trapping season is just around the corner.If anyone comes across a furbearer in a trap,please leave it alone.Blowing holes in an animal with a shotgun or high power rifle doesnt increase the fur value.It is also illegal.Trying to put a few x-tra bucks in your pocket from trapping is tough enough without that kind of B.S.going on.I guess real hunters or sportsman dont need this reminder.This is for the not so proud morons that are on the loose!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I'm a moron on the loose, and some kind of imitation hunter or sportsman. If I had come upon a trap with an obviously suffering animal in it, my first thought would be to dispatch it in as humane a way as I could.

Is there some other (better) way to do this?

Also it should be noted that the animals will not be "suffer" most are sleeping, and or calm laying down while waiting for the trapper to return, its when they see a person they start to jump around.

Like he said, if its not your stuff leave it alone or if it bothers you that much and are worried you can call the game warden he will tell you the same thing unless the trap hasn't been checked within the legal time limits

I dont have a problem with that but its still illegal.I have done this for other trappers and vice-versa but we had mutual consent before hand. MY point is there are morons out there that go out of their way to totally destoy a trapped furbearer .Its wrong,a waste and no reason for it.

Find the closest log and give it a Wap! This leaves the fur usable.

TruthWalleyes, I was thinking something like this. I've never actually asked any of my cousins about this kind of thing, so I figured I'd ask before doing it. Plus, they mostly just trap beaver and use drown-sets. No clubbing necessary. And thanks for the suggestion.

HunterLee, how do you know trapped animals are calm or sleeping? I'm not being snarky, I genuinely curious. It kind of makes sense, critters are incredibly practical. But I also think about things like the chewed-off foot scenario. Or is that mostly a myth? Say, something else came along and scavenged what was in the trap and the assumption is made that the trapped animal did the chewing and got away.

And that's why I asked, to avoid the pointless waste. My first instinct would've been to shoot it, but that's obviously not a good one. I had no idea if clubbing it or bleeding it would be equally bad or what. And now, I'm guessing bleeding it would be bad as well. Questions are a good thing.

Thanks for the help.

I am not a trapper, and don't know much about these traps,,, but I do have a question. Are these traps clearly marked? The reason for my asking is because I want to know if any hunters have walked into these traps by accident. That would not be a fun thing to undo.

Thanks.

If you see an animal in a trap leave it be. If your I.D. isn't attached to the trap it is illegal for you to tamper with it. Some peoples opinions on the ethics of trapping are all different and I value your opinions about it but as a trapper I ticks me off to come up to my sets to find the trap tampered with or stolen and it happens more than people think fellow trappers can relate. A good thump to the head is all it takes to put it down if you feel the need but filling it with lead or steel ruins others hard work.

I don't think anyone is advocating filling anything with anything, tampering with or stealing traps.

I, for one, wanted to know the best way (from a trapper's standpoint) to do something that I think most people would agree is ethical--dispatch a mortally wounded animal.

This is just my thought. First, most animals that are trapped are not mortally wounded. They are being held in a foot hold trap.

Second, if it is a non target catch or a small raccoon ect. some people release these animals unharmed. If someone comes along and it is not their trap, they want to kill the catch, now it cannot be released. I say if you tamper with it, you are breaking the law. Just my .02

Wow what a nice way to kick off your thread. Calling people you're trying to persuade and educate "morons on the loose" and later telling people to get a clue and go play with dolls rather than go hunting. That'll get people to follow your advice.

What part of 'it is illegal' do some of you not get? There are plenty of folks here who are law abiding hunters and fisherfolk who would call TIP at the drop of a hat when seeing a violation, and that is good as far as I'm concerned. But in this thread there are some advocating breaking the law is okay regarding dispatching an animal in a trap that is not yours. Maybe someone should call the TIP line, or the local CO when you are seen screwing around with someone's traps. Illegal is illegal, right? Either your law abiding all the way around, or your a hypocrite. Think about it. Leave the traps alone. And no, I do not trap.

Why not ask that from the beginning?The answer is if its not your trap or your trapping partners trap than you can not tamper with it or an animal in the trap.If you do have permission from the trapper to dispatch animals,reset traps,etc.etc.than you need a trapping license to do so.To dispatch an animal one can give a quick,swift blow to the skull or a .22 short in the ear hole or centered between the eyes and ears.A .22 short does minimal damage and is effective.1 small bullet hole in head does not effect the value.Obviously a person would not dispatch smaller critters such as mink and muskrat with a bullet.Kind of getting sidetracked here.My point is if its not yours leave it alone.Its the law.You can learn more on a trapping forum,thankyou