• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wyoming pronghorn antelope re-cap.

bmc

Well, I'm back from the land where the deer and the antelope play.......Wyoming.......and the best out of state hunt I've had so far!

4 of us left Deer River, MN on Sept. 17 and rolled into camp north of Douglas, WY on the early afternoon of Sept. 18.

dsc02334r.jpg

We met w/ our guide/rancher Lee Moore, who is the 5th generation of his family on the ranch.

After we got settled, he showed us around the ranch and the numerous antelope that were running around. We returned to camp, had a good supper, and enjoyed watching the antelope do their thing 200 yds from the picnic table where we ate.

dsc02388fa.jpg

dsc02356ex.jpg

Sept. 20 Day 1

The alarm went off at 5am and we were up and ready to roll when Lee showed up at a quarter to 6. My dad, Gary, and I got into the truck and were off to our blinds that were set near waterholes. He then picked up Danny and Mike and got them to their blinds.

As the sun rose to the east, I saw I was on top of a a butte that was 200-30 yds long east to west and about 150 yds wide north to south. The water tank and solar well were to my left at 25 yds and the excess water flooded the ground in front of me at 20 yds.

dsc02338gy.jpg

After getting settled in, the first customers of the morning showed up nd watered at the water tank. I was expecting antelope but didn't mind watching this mule deer doe and fawn for a few minutes.

dsc02335py.jpg

After they left, it wasn't long before I saw a pronghorn buck come up over the rise in front of me and walk a B line right to the waterhole in front of me. After some inspection, I decidded to pass on this buck and shot him with my camera instead.

dsc02336y.jpg

After he fed off and made few scrapes on the ground, it got to be around 9 am and my guts started churning. What to do....what to do?

I scanned the area and didn't see any critters, so I grabbed my TP and headed over to the cattle guard around the solar panel water pump. So there I was, doing what had to be done and I catch movement to my left. Luckily it was only a mule deer doe, that was followed by a spike buck and a forkhorn buck. They got to about 20 yds and gave me a look like, "What the heck are you doing?" LOL I finished my business and headed back to the blind and the deer just hung around feeding and wondering what they had just witnessed.

I no sooner got settled back in the blind and heard an pronghorn buck call to my right....."tooooo, tuc, tuc, tuc, tuc". I looked to the right and saw a small buck about 100 yds away. He called a few times and seemed to be looking past the waterhole to the east. I looked to the east and saw a definite Pope and Young class prognhorn buck, standing on the horizon.

He circled behind my blind and ended up laying out in front of me at 80 yds for 15 minutes. He had that heart shaped look to his horns. I tried to will him into the waterhole, but no such luck. He headed to the east and out of my life.

dsc02337nt.jpg

From 10 to 5 I saw absolutely nothing, other than a few black birds.

Lee came to pick me up and Danny was sitting in the truck with a big grin on his face and rightfully so. He saw 30 antelope today, missed a buck, and shot a mid 70" Pope and Young buck. Mike was feeling low as he had gut shot a nice buck and had spent most of the day with Lee trying to get another arrow it in.

We drove to where the buck had been laying and he was still there, with the arrow still sticking in him. We devised a plan and Mike and I took off to finish what Mike had started. We made a 200 yard stalk and got above the buck, which was lying on a slope. Mike drew his bow, walked to the edge, and the buck took off. We followed it for another mile or so before it layed down. We decided to leave it for the night and they ended up finding the buck expired in it's bend the next morning.

My dad had passed on 6 different bucks today and saw a bunch of other antlelope.

We looked forward to what Day 2 would bring.

Brian

Day 2

The alarm sounded again at 5 am and we were thankful there was still a roof attached to the cabin. The wind was howling during the night, a steady 30 mph with higher gusts.

Lee showed up at quarter to 6 and my dad and I loaded our gear into the truck and we were off to a double set on a waterhole where Lee had saw 3 shooter bucks chasing a lone done a couple of days ago. He said it would be a tough morning because of the wind, but to sit till noon and then decide to stay or head back to the cabin.

We arrived at the waterhole and settled in. I was in a blind on the east side of the waterhole and my dad was 65 yards across from me, on the west side.

dsc02340gk.jpg

dsc02341ky.jpg

Shortly after the 1st pic, a medium buck came out of nowhere over the earthen berm. He looked around, didn't see anything he liked, and moved on.

The wind continued to blow, which makes hunting tough, per Lee. While I did see antelope off in the distance, nothing else came to the waterhole, other than a ton of meadowlarks.

dsc02343gg.jpg

Around 10 am, there were 5 different bucks off in the distance chasing a lone doe. She must have picked up a couple of more suitors, since Lee had seen her last. That poor doe couldn't hide, she was getting chased everywhere, except to the waterhole.

Eventually one of the bucks had enough of the chase and started working his way toward my dad's blind. I got my camera ready and was waiting to video my dad shooting this buck, which we both later agreed on, was a shooter. Unfortunately, the buck got to about 60 yards and that was it. He decided the doe was worth his effort and headed off in her direction.

dsc02344sk.jpg

We sat till about noon and then decided to head in for the day. Lee came and picked us up and we headed back to the cabin for a little R and R.

I started to get a little discouraged as I only had 1 buck with in bow range so far. I started thinking that I broke that unwritten rule that goes soemthing like this, "Don't pass up an animal on the first day that you would shoot on the last day."

Luckily for my dad and I, Day 3 would be a total 180 from what Day 2 had been.

Brian

Day 3.....

We woke up to cool, crisp air, with temps around 40 and NO wind!!! Our expectations were high and my dad and I were anxious to get to our blinds.

Lee dropped me off at a blind that was in an area that looked like it was more suited for mule deer than antelope. He told me to sit till noon and if it wasn't going good, to put my orange flag out and he would pick me up and move me to a different blind.

wyoming2011047.jpg

wyoming2011033.jpg

I wasn't sure what to think, but when the sun started coming up, I immediately saw a herd of antelope up the hill and to my left at 200-300 yds. There was a dandy buck with a herd of 11 does and fawns.

wyoming2011035.jpg

It didn't take long to realize this was the dominate buck in the area. He ran himself ragged chasing any bucks that got within 600 yards of his does. He must have went back and forth in front of me at least 6 times, chasing away other bucks. It was so cool to watch him defend his herd and turf. One time he even came back with a doe and fawn and added them to his herd for a total of 13 does and fawns in his herd. I hoped that I would get a chance at him.

Around 11 am he chased another buck by me at 30 yards, but all I could do was watch as they were running flat out to my left and behind my blind.

Around 1130 am, the herd started feeding down towards the bottom of the hill and in my direction. Pretty soon a lone doe came into the water hole and stood 15 yards away facing my blind. And guess who was not too far behind her! Yep, it was the herd buck. He went to the water tank and stood quartering away at 18 yards. There was only one problem.......the screen was up on that side of the blind, preventing me from taking a shot. Next thing I knew, there was another buck behind me making the "tooo, tuc, tuc, tuc" call and the herd buck tore off after him. My heart was beating up into my throat and a few minutes later he walked by, to my left at 7 yards, and into the water hole. He was facing straight away and there was not chance for a shot. The doe was on the other side of him.

After she watered, she turned and started walking away to my left. He quickly watered and began to follow her. The direction they were going wasn't going to offer me a shot because of the angle..........so I rolled the dice. I came to full draw and I whistled at him and he didn't pay any attention. When he got to about 30 yards I yelled "hey you" and he stopped and turned quartering away to my left.

I put my pin behind his front shoulder and squeezed the trigger on my release. The shot felt good, but to my horror, he turned to his right, and the arrow hit him square in the back left ham. I was sick and disgusted with the shot placement. He ran about 30 yards and I could tell his back left leg was broke. He stopped and layed down. I felt a little better because he laid down so quick, but not much.

While he layed there with his head up, the 5 other bucks he'd been chasing off all morning swooped in on his herd and fought for the title of herd buck. I saw scent marking, scraping, mating, and fighting all within 200 yards of my blind. I also kept an eye on the buck I had hit.

wyoming2011041.jpg

Around 3 pm he got up and walked another 20 yards and then layed under a cedar tree.

wyoming2011038.jpg

Around 345 pm he got up out of his bed and walked to behind the cedar tree. I ranged him at 100 yards and the cedar tree at 70 yards. I knew Lee would be driving down to my blind around 5 pm, so I decided to try and make a stalk on the buck and get another arrow into him.

I snuck out of the blind and when he wasn't looking, side stepped to the left of the blind and put the cedar tree between him and me. I then knocked an arrow and got on a cow path and carefully made my way to the cedar tree. When I got to where I wanted to be, about 30 yards, I came to full draw and took a couple of steps to my right. I put the pin behind the buck's front shoulder as he was standing broadside and I proceeded to shoot right over his back. He hobbled off into some gullies and trees and I felt like I had just been punched in the groin. I was so disgusted with myself.

I decided that the buck was hurt pretty good to have bedded down 2 times like he did, but was concerned because there was only 2 fist size spots of blood where he had bedded. I didn't want to push him anymore than I had, so I backed out and waited for Lee to pick me up.

He showed up around 5 pm with my dad and I told them what had happened. We then glassed the area where the buck had run after I missed and there he was. The 1st arrow was still in him and he was a hundred yards or so up the hill from where I had missed him. We watched him till it got close to dark and he didn't move at all, he just stood in one little area. We decided to come back in the morning and get him.

I was literally sick to my stomach to begin with and that feeling got worse when Lee told me that my buck was a big one and definitely would make Pope and Young. I was feeling about as low as a person in my situation could and then I noticed blood on Lee's hands.

I asked my dad if he got one and he got a big grin on his face! Lee had put him in the same blind that Danny sat the first day and my dad made a great shot on this very unique, wide horned pronghorn buck.

dadsbuck.jpg

I was very happy for my dad and gave him a hug and congratulated him. We headed back to camp and to let Mike and Danny know what had taken place today.

I was really down in the dumps and hardly slept that night.......hoping and praying that we would find my buck in the morning.

Day 4

Lee showed up around 6 am and we had a big breakfast thanks to Mike, who is a great camp cook by the way.

Around 7 am, Lee, my dad, and I headed to my blind to see if we could locate my buck. We parked on the hill above my blind and started glassing. I immediately spotted my buck standing in the same area we had left him the night before and the arrow was still in him. Lee and I devised a plan and left my dad at the truck to keep an eye on the buck, should he move before we got to his location.

Lee and I headed to the right of my blind and up the gully towards the buck. We peered over the rise and saw him about 100 yards away from us. He was facing away from us, so we got on our hands and knees and started crawling through the sage and prickly pear cactus that was all over the place. Note to self........Next time bring some knee pads and leather gloves.

We closed the distance to 40 yards and the buck continued to face away from us. I came to full draw and Lee lip squeaked, trying to get the buck to turn for a quartering away or broadside shot. It didn't happen, so I let down and we crawled to our right a few yards. A shot opportunity presented itself with the buck quartering to his right and I took the shot. The arrow creased his right shoulder and he hobbled into the pines and cedars.

Lee and I ran up to the edge of the tree line and looked around trying to find the buck. We walked into the tree line a few steps and Lee saw him laying on his side to our left at 30 yards. I knocked another arrow and shot the buck right behind the front shoulder. Finally, this buck was mine. I thanked Lee and gave him a big hug and he patted me on the back. I don't know who was more excited, him or me.

We let the buck expire while we walked back to the truck and to let my dad know what had happened. He had seen the whole thing up until the buck ran into the trees.

We gathered a few items and headed back up to the buck. When we reached the buck, Lee immediately told us this was by far the biggest buck that had been taken off of his ranch this year.

wyoming2011110.jpg

After a lengthy photo session, Lee gutted my buck and my dad and I carried him back to the truck. My buck was green scored at 74 4/8", with 67" being the Pope and Young Club minimum.

When we butchered my buck, we saw what damage my arrow had done. I was shooting a Hoyt Carbon Matrix set at 60 lbs with 31" Easton ACC's 340 series with 100 grain Slick Trick 4 blade broadhead. My 1st arrow cut the femur in half and the broadhead lodged just under the hide on the outside edge of the opposite tenderloin. It looked like a rifle had hit that bone. It was unbelievable what damage that little broadhead caused!

Here are pics of Danny's low 70" Pope and Young pronghorn and Mike's nice pronghorn.

dannybuck.jpg

mikebuck.jpg

We couldn't have asked for a better finish to a great hunt in beatiful Wyoming.

Thanks for reading along!!!

Brian

Congrats on a fine hunt and a really fun sounding trip! Thanks very much for taking the time to share it with us. It takes a lot of time and effort to put together write ups like yours and your efforts are definitely appreciated!

Great work!!!

BTW, regarding your first shot on the buck-- there's not a critter in North America that's as quick and jumpy as the antelope, IMO. It's unbelievable how wired and twitchy those things are! I know a guy who shot a nice buck at 25 yards- the buck was broadside and unaware he was there. He made a perfect looking shot- at least the arrow hit right where the buck's heart was when he released the arrow. The buck ran 50 yards and dropped. Imagine his surprise when he got up to the buck and discovered the arrow had entered his nostril and gone down his throat! The buck had turned 90 degrees and moved his head considerably in the split second it took for his arrow to get there. Unbelievable!

Not sure what the details of your hit in the back ham were, but I do know that those animals can make a good looking shot turn out pretty bad in a hurry.

Good job Brian. Congrats to you guys on getting your goats. Antelope hunting is one of the most fun things I've ever done, can't wait to get out there and do it again. The prairie is one of the most beautifull and game filled habitats anywhere. A special place for sure.

We all know that if you hunt with a bow long enough that a poor hit like you experienced is going to happen. It's what we do after that shot that seperates the sportsmen from the rest of the "outdoor" crowd. Really happy to see you stepped up and did what needed to be done to anchor that animal. Hats off to you! A beautiful P&Y trophy is your reward, nice job!

Thanks for sharing.