• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

5 month lab hunting this weekend?

sakazulu

Considering bringing my 5 month choc lab pup, Ted, up for opener to get the whole experience. I'm thinking I need to bring all the tools including the crate and hunting away from the group but I just can't imagine a better training experience for such a young guy as we click pretty good. I expect disaster but would put some age under his belt

What stage of training is he at and how good is he at it? Has he been introduced to guns and birds? There are a lot of things that could go wrong that will take more time to correct than training correctly the first time. If you have any doubts don't rush it. Give us some info on where the dog is at in its training.

I brought my lab hunting with me at a little younger age than yours and the problem we had was her winning and being on the leash and jumping out of the boat. The second trip I brought two other guys and a steller dog for mine to learn with. We shot 7 ducks that day and I would hold on to her for all the shooting then give the command and both dogs would break. The pup hat no clue the first 3 times then the race was on to the birds but Killer, the other dog, was faster and smarter. By the end we let the pup get her first bird it took some rocks and comeon buddies but she got it in about 5 min. Then for the rest of the time we leashed her up and when we would shoot would give a whining something fierce. She ended the year with 20 retrives and an easy tripple in the river. It was a lot of work but when she went to training that winter she was ahead of the curve and came back stellar. Some of my best hunting was done that first two years with her. The stories and memories were great for me. I wish the best of luck for you, but it is like bringing a kid. Be patient.

How well can you control your dog? Has the dog been introduced to guns and shooting? How much time has the dog spent around other dogs. Does it reliably mark and find dummies/bumpers?

I've taken lots of 5 mos old Labs to hunt in early fall but they have already had days and days and weeks and weeks of kindergarten classes. Current dog retrieved first big rooster at FOUR months but she was under no pressure, huntin with just me and a preserve owner/trainer and we expected very little of her. She came through with flying colors: pushing bird up,going straight to down bird and then leaping back through the tall dead grass, ears flapping and head high with that big colorful bird solidly clamped in her mouth. I think both of us got a little misty eyed watching her.

Now.....it's all ho-hum for her!! But she's already coming around bugging me and looking at the falling leaves.

Have fun but be cautious.

The training was going well and we hit some sort of roadblock that I think may be his age and it may be time for a visit to the real world. Patience will be the word of the day and we'll be in a separate blind away from the "Iron Curtain" so we'll go from there. Thinking along both lines and appreciate your comments! He should be good with the shooting. Heck, even if I don't get a shot off, still seems like a great time with the pup I'm gonna have until I'm 65 and I'm sure he'll get it! Thanks guys!

I'm totally for bringing pups hunting! Make sure the pooch is not gunshy, however, as you can cause some serious setbacks. Otherwise, just go out there with a positive attitude and try to make things FUN for the dog. Keep your expectations LOW, and don't harp on your dog. When it does something right, praise it to no end. You're trying to build desire at this stage. Get it excited about the process, and your training next summer will be much better received.

I did the exact same thing with my GWP. Had him out hunting at 4 months old and hunted him for the entire season. Fast forward to this fall and he's a rockstar. I firmly believe it was that early introduction to hunting that helped him to this point (well, the 4-5 days of training this summer probably didn't hurt, either wink )

Not a fan of using hunting as a training experience. Too many things can go south and you end up on here asking how to correct a problem. Why risk potential disaster when you have a decade of hunting ahead of you...

Training is just that... training. Hunting is just that... hunting. You should not be 'hunting' until the dog is trained for that particular task... You don't take a kid out hunting and have him handle a gun prior to taking gun safety. Take each step in the proper order. Intro to birds and guns, intro to boats and decoys and personally I prefer teaching steady and quiet skills also, all prior to the first big day in the blind. Then you can work on hunting and find things that need re-inforcement and further work...

To each there own though... guys still to this day bring their dog to the trap range for gun intro and get away with it. One of the WORST ways of gun intro... Taking a dog on a hunting trip may be as equally bad a way for gun intro and possibly just as bad for bird intro. Again some will forge ahead and get away with it, but just as many will create new problems to work through and a few will create problems you cannot work through... at least not without extensive pro help.

Good Luck!

Ken

One nagging little thing here sticks with me: "he should be okay with shooting." Words in your post.

What does that mean? Has he been introduced to gun? Been shot over? Totally laid back about it?

This is NO time to find out whether he is "okay with shooting."

As stated earlier I HAVE hunted (gently) with young dogs but they have been VERY much ready for it.

Pay close attention to what your friends here are saying to you.

I'm totally for bringing pups hunting! Make sure the pooch is not gunshy, however, as you can cause some serious setbacks. Otherwise, just go out there with a positive attitude and try to make things FUN for the dog. Keep your expectations LOW, and don't harp on your dog. When it does something right, praise it to no end. You're trying to build desire at this stage. Get it excited about the process, and your training next summer will be much better received.

I did the exact same thing with my GWP. Had him out hunting at 4 months old and hunted him for the entire season. Fast forward to this fall and he's a rockstar. I firmly believe it was that early introduction to hunting that helped him to this point (well, the 4-5 days of training this summer probably didn't hurt, either wink )

This is really one of those situations where you really don't know what your talking about untill you have no idea how to fix a problem that you know YOU created all on your own.

The definition of "Rockstar" has many different variations..

This is really one of those situations where you really don't know what your talking about untill you have no idea how to fix a problem that you know YOU created all on your own.

The definition of "Rockstar" has many different variations..

He's steady to flush (still working on shot and fall). Retrieves birds to hand. Ranges well in open cover, and stays close in the thick stuff. I have him trained to hand signals, and he's great on blind retrieves. Plus he can sit quietly for hours on end. I duno, maybe that isn't rockstar material, but I'm definitely more than satisfied...

Thanks again guys for your opinions! I brought him up last weekend with a more "dog friendly" bud of mine and saw my pup retrieve his first duck, a green wing teal and drop it in my hand! We gotta along way to go but just seeing him being so birdy, so young and so well behaved just blew me away! It's quite a rewarding experience, aw heck, it was one of the happiest moments in my life! Now I get it!

Just an opinion, but training pups with live birds in the field is vastly different than having a pup pent up in a boat or a blind and then shooting around it for the first time.

In the field the dog is focused on the bird it is pointing or flushing and the shooting may have no effect due to the focus. In the boat the dog is going to be nervous and just sitting there anxious not knowing what to do. Then the gun goes off and you run the risk of scaring the dog because it doesn't associate it with a bird or having fun.

If you are going to do this, work with the .22 and retrieving a dummy/bird over a pond so the dog can associate the shot with a bird going down if you are going to use primarily for duck hunting. It should be introduced as a fun activity so he/she wants to be around it first.

i dont recomend any real world hunting situations to any pup till at least 1-1 1/2 yrs. old. i wouldnt do any gun training till at least 1 yr old! and dont start with a shotgun!! capguns or .22's are generally used. you need to focus on retreiving skills and leaning certain tones/whistles that you will use in training/hunting. i wouldnt even start a training collar as of yet. 5 mo. is just to juvinille to really go beyond basics no matter how smart or the bloodline. a buddy tains and breeds labs, and this is the routine he usues and has used with my two chocolates.... hasnt failed me yet! once a dog gets gun shy, good luck getting him/her out hunting!

The boat we will wait on and I totally understand what you are saying! Thanks MuleShack!

Just an opinion, but training pups with live birds in the field is vastly different than having a pup pent up in a boat or a blind and then shooting around it for the first time.

In the field the dog is focused on the bird it is pointing or flushing and the shooting may have no effect due to the focus. In the boat the dog is going to be nervous and just sitting there anxious not knowing what to do. Then the gun goes off and you run the risk of scaring the dog because it doesn't associate it with a bird or having fun.

If you are going to do this, work with the .22 and retrieving a dummy/bird over a pond so the dog can associate the shot with a bird going down if you are going to use primarily for duck hunting. It should be introduced as a fun activity so he/she wants to be around it first.

Thanks Panfish for you advice and kind comment! Your advice has been repeated by many men I know with experience w/labs. The "hardcore" duck hunting out of boat will not happen until next year when he and I are more polished and he will be 1 1/2 years old by then.