• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spear shack Mods

Gordie

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have a 4x8 house that was built perhaps a bit to stout...treated lumber underneath and 2x2 studs 16" on center. i also have some used steel siding on the outside. i usually take it off/on by myself but she's a pig to get tipped up to get a trailer underneath.

who would advise me to take off the steel and put luan on the outside instead? cause that's what i'm a thinking of doing. it's right on the cusp of being too heavy so my thought was to shed a bit of weight...and no, i cannot remember how heavy that steel was in comparison...just looking for a bit of insight. thx.

I just did the oppisite of what your talking about Drakerebel

The luan plywood that I put on lasted three years and I used a really good paint and I used about three coats to paint it it just didnt hold up so I had some steel sideing that I put on and I dont think the weight is any different mine is a 4x6 it the pics at the front of this post.

I will be building several more shacks in the months to follow but I think I will go with aluminum coil. as I have built one like this already.

I think most of the weight is is in the floor thats why I use 5/8 plywood for the floor and ceader 1x2's and 2x2's for the frame work bit more expensive but the weight difference is worth it and cearder doest rot nearly as fast or as bad

I will try and get a few pics of it today

behindthehead they make 2x2 , 2x3 and 2x4 along with bigger sizes of very light gage steel studs to resemble lumber dimentions for residential and mostly commercail building

They are very light wieght and strudy if you fasten them correctly

I am thinking of building a house. I was thinking of using 2x2 steel studs and pole barn steel. I would think that it should be fairly light. any opinions?

I just scored enough 2x4 steel studs to make a coupl house going to start working on one this week. As far as weight you can pick up a stack of 10 2x4 by 8 foot long and not even strain your self the weight will be in the sheeting you use.

behindthehead they make 2x2 , 2x3 and 2x4 along with bigger sizes of very light gage steel studs to resemble lumber dimentions for residential and mostly commercail building

They are very light wieght and strudy if you fasten them correctly

ha i didnt even think of steel studs. go ahead dumba##.

nice renovation Elwood,

i think where i may've gone wrong is all the treated lumber that i made my floor with starting with the 2x10 treated runners. she sits pretty high off the ice but i'm leary of having the entire bottom freeze to the ice. i blocked it up in the past only to have the skids still freeze down...chisling the runners out takes a tole. i'd like to put plastic on the bottom of the runners but i'm also leery on accidentally hitting the chisel to them and "snap".

I got the wheel house out this morning. Works good. I just put cardboard over the windows for now, and screwed a 2x2 to the ceiling over the hole to hang my decoy reels from. It is plenty dark in there even with the white ceiling. Now I just need the fish to cooperate.full-5451-15089-1218011459.jpg

I had to modify my house this year due to the lack of snow. Normally I would lean a few narrow boards around the base of my house and pack snow around them to keep the light out cause my house sits up a few inches off the ice. I decided to run some canvas around the base and use snaps to keep the canvas up off the ice while I'm not spearing, and yes it's an old sleeper off a kenworth and it works slick. It stays nice and warm and with the addition of the canvas skirt now it stays very dark. I always had problems keeping light out of the hole with just boards and snow.

c9c23a54.jpg

f0b9380d.jpg

d827f21e.jpg

Bearbait I have been looking for one of those sleepers for quite a efew years now and everytime I seem to come across one I'm a day late or a dollar short,

That is a sweet looking shack great Idea on the skirts I have done simalr but used rubber roofing the last time I made skirts didnt seem to stick to the ice like canvas wink

I got that house for a steal on a-sales-site. $300 and he already had the 55" x 24" hole cut and had it up on skis. I had posted a pic of the inside but I'm assuming since there was an adult beverage in the picture it got removed so this weekend I'll have to take some more.

I used to work at a company in elrosa that made grain trucks and would do day cab conversions etc.. I'm sure he has a few sleepers in the bone yard he would sell.

nice sleeper bearbait! Can you stand up in it? Also, how heavy is it? I am looking to do the same and would haul it around on a snowmobile trailer. Wondering how hard it would be to get on and off the trailer. My 5 year old boy likes to come with now and I think this would be more comfy than my flip over since there would be a floor and a little more room. I would probably use some 4x4's for runners on mine. Should pull well behind an atv as long as there wasn't too much snow.

I don't have an exact weight but me and a buddy pulled it out on glare ice. I can move it about a foot at a time by myself on snow like when I'm cutting the hole etc... I move mine around on a tilt snowmobile trailer and use a come-a-long to hoist it up on the trailer. It's got aluminum skis lined with plastic to help it slide better but it isn't the lightest house around. I'm 6'4" and when I stand up I have to duck my head