• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boat Storage

ib_jigged

Ok, last winter I stored my old boat indoors at a co-workers farm, he stores lots of campers, boats, and such. This was the first time that I had my boat in storage since I bought it 6 years ago. I normally had it sit in the back yard with the cover over it and had no problems, just swept the snow off after every snowfall. This last winter when in storage and brought home, I removed the cover to find that it was infested with mice and all their goodies and waste. Had to throw away 3 life jackets and numerous other things. Also trapped 8 mice after I got it home.

I have since sold the boat and have a brand new 2010 Lund with the pro track cover. What does everyone else do to keep the critters out of their boat when in storage? I would prefer not to leave the new boat outside all winter.

Thanks,

I know dryer sheets do not work. I have tried them in our travel trailer and the mice have made nests out of them.

We have tried bounce, snuggle, and all brands, same thing.

I have thought about the shrink wrap, but was hoping for something else.

moth balls, your boat may stink in spring but worth it. i buy 1 or 2 fresh boxes, open them & distribute in old butter, cool whip, or other plastic containers that i have poked holes in with nails. its a great tool to keep pests out and by using the plastic containers with holes punched in them (and lids) you dont have to touch the moth balls and can put in different areas of boat, also makes for cinch clean up in spring. this is a very good trick couple of neighbors told be about.

i do the very same thing in house and garage in winter also where there are little cracks to keep em out of house also.

He has tried cats, but his german short hairs seem to take care of them!

Sounds like he needs to teach the short hairs to point mice then!

I've heard of using some cotton balls soaked in pepermint oil, dryer sheets, etc. Bottom line.. Moth Balls are pretty much guaranteed to work imho.

marine_man

Sorry, but I always get a chuckle out of the dryer sheet suggestion ---- they work great, until the mice decide to use them for nests. Then they don't work at all. I have heard WAY WAY WAY too many stories about mice problems in boats and campers and fish houses with dryer sheets to ever rely on them.

I use mothballs - I put a few mothballs in several old socks, and stash the socks in stragic places around the boat. In the spring I pull the old socks out and the mothball smell goes away in 1-2 days. I think it's as close to a guaranteed sure no-mice deal as you can get.

I bought some stuff called Fresh Cab(rodent repellent) at a FF.

Comes in pouches that do have an odor, but not as bad as mothballs. I only used them once last winter w/ perfect results. Come spring I bagged and sealed up all the pouches and I'm sure they'll be fine again this winter. I can actually smell them thru the ziplock bag.

I had a hobby farm with pole sheds for over 20 years and stored many boats & campers. I've seen people use dryer sheets, peppermint oil & moth balls. They all work if there is nothing resembling food in the boat. Put your boat away clean and you greatly reduce the odds of mice!

Make sure there are no empty food wrappers or containers in the boat, worm bedding is also food, dog food in the glove box was always sure to attract the little buggers. Gulp alive or any other supper baits are also food to mice. NO D-CON or other poisons IN the boat, they are also baits and attract mice.

Once had a guy stop by in the middle of January to throw some dryer sheets in his boat, another person was there mounting a new depth finder. The guy working on his boat told the dryer sheet person that he had a fool proof method of keeping mice out of his boat. He'd just throw an open jar of peanut butter in the boat next to his and never had any mice in his boat. The look on the guys face for the couple seconds it took him to realize it was a joke was priceless!

I stored my boat outside for 20 years before I built a garage big enough to store it inside. I never had any problems with mice or negative mechanical problems as a result. I think the problem with the mice is that there are several different colonies in that barn. Mice will leave there nests for food and water and return to their own area. That is why they run around under the snow all winter. I think I would resume the outside storage.

On a side note, it's fun watching my dog seek out and then dig the mice out of the snow. Anybody else have a mice hunting snow dog?