• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Goodbye Jim Thome and Jason Kubel

IamZombie

Just heard from Mark Rosen on KFAN, Twins put Thome and Kubel on waivers.

#Twins' Thome went on trade waivers today. #Phillies want him, but almost no chance he gets through to them. #MLB

— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal)

August 22, 2011

Grats on 600, now here's the door....

Put Bill Smith on waivers.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They put thome out there because they want him to go to a winning team and have a chance at a ring not surprised and hopefully he gets on one, the Kubel deal shows they are gonna throw some money at cuddy this off season

Just heard from Mark Rosen on KFAN, Twins put Thome and Kubel on waivers.

Grats on 600, now here's the door....

Put Bill Smith on waivers.

It was done out of respect for Thome, and I'm sure it was done with his approval. Obviously the Twins are dead in the water, so why not try to get Thome to a team where he has a chance to win a ring? This is one of the few good things Smith has done, even though it won't net the Twins much in return...it was just the right thing to do.

Just becaue they were put on waivers, doesn't mean they will be dealt. 80-90% of all MLB players are put on waivers. That said the Twins will surely listen to whatever team puts a claim in.

Guess I misunderstood what being put on waivers meant.

They'll get something decent for Kubel from a contender I'm sure. He's not a Beltran, but does provide someone with a hole in the OF a decent bat and about average defense.

I'd heard rumblings about this a few weeks ago that Philly would be interested in bringing Thome back in. Wouldn't cost them anything, he's great with the fans, and they have a legit chance to win this year.

All speculation at this point though.

can't imagine Thome going to an NL team where he would be limited to pinch-hitting duty, but who knows.

He can't really play every day anyways; even on days he starts for the Twins he often gets 3 ABs max since they pinch run for him.

As was said, just because you are on waivers doesn't mean you are gone. If a team claims them, they have 5 business days to make a deal or the Twins could just say no. That said, the Twins will almost certainly not re-sign either Thome or Kubel so they probably figure they might as well get a little something in return.

He did it with the LA dodgers for the playoff run. THis was brought up a few weeks ago. Philly will be a good fit for Thome also New york. There have been a lot of teams checking to see if the Twins would put Thome out there. It's a good move for Thome. AGain we will not get anything for either and lose both.

FWIW, both Thome and Kubel were placed on revokable waivers...

Quote:
•Teams have to pass players through revocable waivers to trade them after the July 31st deadline.

•Players acquired after August 31st can't play in the postseason.

Teams will often put most of their players on waivers to determine interest, since they don't have to give up every player who's claimed.

•Unclaimed players can be traded to any club in August (or even September).

•Teams don't have to trade players who are claimed

•If a team places a player on waivers after he is claimed, but not traded, the team loses the right to pull its player back. In other words, the waivers are revocable at first, but not revocable afterwards.

•Clubs have two days to deal claimed players, but they can only negotiate a trade with one team.

•If only one team claims a player, he can only be dealt to that team.

•If more than one team claims a player, he can only be traded to the team in his league with the worst record.

•If a player's only claimed by teams in the other league, he can only be dealt to the team with the worst record.

•Teams cannot pass players on the disabled list through waivers.

They aren't just "giving them away" as some people think. They are essentially getting a feel for what they could get for these guys if they indeed decide to trade them (since it is after the normal trade deadline). Both potential free agents [after 2011] will likely be claimed, where the Twins can then either a) work out a trade with the club who claimed them, or B) "pull them back" for the remainder of the season. If the Twins end up going with the latter, we will get nothing for these guys after they leave and dont resign with us next year [hypothetical of course] except for compensatory drafts picks depending on if Thome/Kubel are Type A or Type B free agents.

Personally, I would like to see Thome traded. Not becasue I don't like him or think he isn't a good fit for the Twins. More so because I want to see him have one last shot to get a world series ring, and Thome has came out and said he wants one more shot at a championship, and being that this is most likely his last season in the bigs, I think we owe it to him to give him that shot after everything he has done for us.

The fact that we are contemplating trading Kubel too tells me the Twins are going to make a serious run at trying to sign Cuddyer in this off season. If this is indeed the Twins plan [to make a serious offer at signing Cuddy], than I think this is the right decision [to try and get something for Kubel]. If we were to let Thome and Kubel walk after this season (both of their contracts are up after this season) then a bunch of people who be complaining about how we didn't "get anything for them". Essentially, the Twins are going to get bad mouthed either way they go about this situation. The twins would definitely have to give Kubel a pay increase for next year if we wanted to sign him, and he is making almost $6 million this year.

I'm not a pro ball player so I guess I don't understand it, but personally, I wouldn't switch teams 2/3 of the way through august so that I can ride another team's wave into the world series for a shot at a ring. Even if it is my "last chance".

Maybe, if after spending 21 years in the bigs, you want to win a championship so bad you don't care if it is for a different team. Word on the street is the White Sox and Indians both put in claims for Thome. It would make sense for both of them to put in claims, being that Travis Hafner (Indians DH) is on the DL for an unknown amout of time and Chicago's DH Adam Dunn is hitting a whopping .165 this year. Putting my hardcore Twins fan ego aside, I think it would be pretty cool if Thome won a ring with either of those squads.

they should trade thome. we used him for his 600th homer, that's over now and he won't be back next year, so get what you can for him and wish him the best at a ring.

if they trade kubel, they won't get proper value (you never do in waiver deals because you're only dealing with one team unless a player goes all the way through waivers and nobody claims him, then you can trade with anybody).

and bill smith will again prove why he is an [PoorWordUsage]. kubel had strong interest at the trade deadline and we would've gotten more for him then because more than one team would've had offers for him. but billy boy thought we we're still in it at 8 games back and fading fast so we sat idle now we're paying the price now by trading competent major league talent for minor league projects (not to be confused with prospects).

Placing Kubel on waivers might, in fact, be a negotiating strategy if we make him an offer in the postseason.

If no one shows interest in waivers, it's possible that could be a negotiating point in offering a less-than-stellar pay raise.

How do you know all this Amish?

Again I think you guys are way over valuing what a player is worth at the trading deadline, particulary free agents. Why in the world would any team give up something for Kubel, Young or cuddyer for a few months rental when that player is going to be a free agent.

Answer is, they aren't going to give anything up of value because it makes no sense to.

You guys make it seem like we could get a starting pitcher or quality relief man for these guys. It's just not how it works.

Maybe, if after spending 21 years in the bigs, you want to win a championship so bad you don't care if it is for a different team.

It's less about jumping ship on the twins and more about a free ticket to the big show without having put in any of the work to get there. kinda like taking a helicopter ride to just short of the top of Everest after 21 attempts to get there but not making it. It just wouldn't seem real to me and like a pity move for an old guy with no ring. But like I said that's just me. Always been a Thome fan and I hope he gets what he wants, whatever that may be.