• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I need to vent

Well, a couple weeks ago I was walking through my local Runnings Store and saw they had the Big Game "Boss Lite" tree stands on sale ($39.99), which I thought was a heck of a deal. As soon as I got home I started putting it together, but was back in Runnings within an hour because some of the holes did not line up correctly. Runnings was very good and made an exchange (I originally bought the last one so I had to wait a week for a new shipment) for me. Now I just picked up my new replacement stand the other day and thought I'd put it together this afternoon...I was down to the last two nuts and bolts when I realized the two nuts were not threaded right! Looks like I'm off to Runnings AGAIN. I already called them and they said it's a joke and something needs to be done with the Big Game company. I just sent a nastygram to Big Game telling them about my discontent...

What would you guys do? Stick with the stand and just get new replacement parts? Say forget the Big Game company all together and get something else?

If you sent notice to Big Game with your contact info, I'll bet they get back to you and send you what you need. But in the mean time I would do the same as mentioned above.

You've done about all you can do in your situation. Make note of it and consider your hard won experience when purchasing your next stand. Good luck!

Ditto this last post and then you can change out the hardware as needed later. You should do that anyway every now and then to make your stands last a long time. You can't get anything perfect anymore unless you spend an arm and a leg. And even then, there's usually something wrong with it.

I agree with just picking up the right nuts &/or bolts at the hardware store. Make sure you buy nylock nuts (sp).

That said I'm a little surprised on the lack of quality. $39 is pretty cheap, but I've gotten a couple of those $30 Challenger stands from Menards the last couple of years & everything was perfect with those. They're kind of small, but I actually like them quite well. Shot my 11 pointer out of the first one in 2009. It lives in that tree now, as it's the spot on the spot, as far as a tree stand location goes.

I agree bigbucks, I would rather have more stands and locations than fewer even if the stands are cheaper and perhaps less comfortable. So long as they are safe. I do this with blinds too. I like some of the hub style I can get for $70-80. I can buy several and leave them up at several hot spots all season verus having to move one around. They become part of the landscape that way. I also built some natural ones with the kids this year so I can take them along for some "hunts," er, I mean snack eating sessions. They are 4 and 6.

You get what you pay for. I have lots of cheap stands so I can be more more mobile. I have had to make slight modifications to stands tha weren't cut quite right. I have never had a problem. With some stands I even throw away some of the cheap hardware they send with if I don't like it, or feel safe with it, and beef it up to my liking.