• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boat Trailering Question

amateurfishing

I have an all roller shorelander trailer for my 16 ft crestliner boat. what is the proper depth of trailer to be in water when loading or unloading boat? previous owner said he never put trailer in deep enuff for wheel bearing to be under water (halfway up tires), I have no problem with that for unloading but makes loading more difficult. should rollers be just at water lever, if so front rollers, middle, or back? should i be able to just coast boat right on trailer with rollers simply as guides, if so, that means most of trailer is then undr water, just curious. reason i am asking is cause i am getting black marks on front of boat from rollers as i crank it up and boat did not have any previous marks on it.

The level or the water against the tires has nothing to do with the proper depth for loading/unloading. It's the level of water vs the rollers that matters. I've used roller trailers all my life and the one thing I've learned is that you want the rear rollers of your trailer just under or at the surface of the water. This may vary slightly from one roller type to another or if you powerload or winch on but is a good place to start.

What works on my Shorelander trailer is to back it in so that the front of my fender that is a step is just under water. That way I know that my rear rollers will be under water. Every trailer will be a little different but once you find the spot it will work every time. I would not worry about getting your hub wet as long as you check your bearings every spring and don't over fill your bearing buddy's so they blow out your seals.

previous owner said he never put trailer in deep enuff for wheel bearing to be under water (halfway up tires)

That sounds way too shallow to me. Every boat/trailer has it's own sweet spot, and that can even vary by ramp angle. You'll want to find where that is on yours and remember the spot so you can relay that to the truck driver. For my boat it was just so the wheels were covered.

It's kind of a balancing act, too shallow and you're cranking it up forever, too deep and the boat might not sit right. I like it deep enough that I don't have to crank more than a few turns or powerload (that can ruin the boat ramp), if the back of the boat is off to the left or right have the truck driver motion you to stand one way or the other to compensate, then drive out.

the rollers roll fine, it is usually to where the back rollers are just under water with water line bout 2/3 way up the tires, (just over hubcap), i only winch load meaning i have a rope tied to my bow and hand pull as fast & quick as i can till boat stops on rollers from gravity kicking in then let out the winch line, secure to boat and winch boat in rest of the way, which is usually last 1/3 of length of trailer. Do i need to dip my trailer a little deeper in the water? if thats the case my hitch would be right on shoreline mostly and I would usually be standing in water to unload & load. would that be normal? or are your feet usually on dry land when unloading/loading. thx for all the info.

i have also read in other posts regarding boat loading to find the "sweet spot", what exactly is this and what should i be looking for? is it so the boat will float on 90% of trailer on its own in the water with rollers just as guides? at what point when loading the boat should the weight be transfered from the water to the rollers? thanks again.

The height of your hitch will also make a difference on the angle that you trailer is at, and how well it loads. Too steep and you may need to put your trailer in deeper.

What do you have for a vehicle and do you use a straight hitch, or is there any rise or drop on your hitch?

Everyone else's opinion seems to be spot on, but i know hitch height is also going to make a difference in "perfect trailer loading depth".

Sounds like when hooked up to your trailer on level ground your trailer is either level or a very slight incline. I would take BobT's advice about getting the back rollers in the water. I'm guessing his advice is taylored to powerloading the boat. You will need to crank the boat up most of the way in that situation.

If you want to "hand pull" the boat all the way up the trailer, you will need to make the trailer much deeper, but the boat probably won't sit straight when you pull the boat out of the water.

My advice, Try BobT's advice, and try that powerloading...Or just continue handcranking.

I've got a roller/bunk combo trailer. I also have side guards on my trailer. When unloading i simply back the trailer all the way in until the top of the side guards are at the water's surface (Approx 18" above the wheels). My boat is darn near completely floating.

When i step out of my vehicle, it is usualy into 6" of water or less - not a big deal if you plan ahead.

By boat comes off the trailer with no problems. Come loading time, i submerge the trailer just as if i was unloading, and glide the boat right up to the winch. Then pull out, and winch the last 6" when out of the water.

I would not have to back up so far into the water, but i have a 6" rise on my hitch, and i do this so my boat will drain when hooked up to the vehicle. This means to get the front of my trailer in the water, i've got to back in further becasue i've got my trailer at a slight incline.

Summer time i'm wearing shorts and sandels, so this is no big deal- getting the feet wet. Come fall, i bring my boots since that is requried when most docks come out anyway.

This may not be the easiest way to unoad/load my boat, but it has worked well for me. I do not have to take the time to winch the boat this way, and my boat does not powerload well at all, so this seems to be my best and quickest option to get in and out of the landing fast.

i have also read in other posts regarding boat loading to find the "sweet spot", what exactly is this and what should i be looking for? is it so the boat will float on 90% of trailer on its own in the water with rollers just as guides? at what point when loading the boat should the weight be transfered from the water to the rollers? thanks again.

A lot will depend on the trailer design and location of the rollers on the trailer. I sue an E-Z Loader and all I have to do is put the very back rollers just under the surface. If I put the bow of my boat between those rollers and connect the winch, it's load straight and easily every time. I don't care if I'm dealing with a 30mph side wind, it works always. Never failed me yet.

According to a guy at shorelander when I called with same question, the back rollers should just be touching the water. That way they guide the boat on the trailer.

When launching, it doesn't matter. the boat will roll off the trailer or float off just fine either way.

According to a guy at shorelander when I called with same question, the back rollers should just be touching the water. That way they guide the boat on the trailer.

When launching, it doesn't matter. the boat will roll off the trailer or float off just fine either way.

The problem I've seen guys have with Shorelander trailers is the keel roller on the very back. If you don't have it deep enough the keel contacts it too soon and then the other rollers aren't capable of guiding the boat on straight. Something to be aware of. I don't have that problem with EZ-Loaders that I've owned.

sweet spot- my definition would be the spot you want the water level to be at on your trailer. This is when you are backing the trailer in to load your boat. Its personal preference for everyone, but its the "spot" where your boat and winch will do most of the work when loading, you only have to crank it up the last 1/3 or so.

I have an old 16 ft lund with an equally old trailer. The trailer has 2 bunks, then 4 sets of rollers spaced up the middle. My "sweet spot" is the trailer backed into the water so the water level is just below the 3rd (or 2nd closest to the front of the trailer). When I hit this "spot" I can pull the boat right up and over that 3rd wheel easily, take out the winch strap and crank it up the last 4-5 feet easily, and onto the last roller/keel. This keeps the boat on center and pulling out easy. In to far, back of boat can swing off center, not enough and dry cranking that boat on with lots of effort. Sandals for warm water and rubber boots for cold water.

To me the sweet spot is different for each person and the each boat trailer combo will have a different one. Just play around with it each time you take the boat out.

I have a 14' aluminum boat with a bunk trailer. I typically get the boat floating when launching. The trailer is always in deeper when launching than loading. Yes I always get wet when launching and loading.

I had an OLD roller trailer for this boat that I replaced this year. I used to get that center rear roller just under the water so the keel would ride onto it and help guide the boat and keep it straight. I have a small light boat and I know yours is bigger and heavier though so you might want / need to back in a little deeper so you are not hand cranking forever.

Kyle