• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pike Pic

Kettle

There was an episode of.. Monster Fish? River Monsters? I forget which of those shows in particular, but a show of that type.

In an episode featuring the Payara (aka vampire fish of the Amazon), the host spotted a floating Payara. Turns out it had tried to swallow a fish that was too bit, and it was stuck in its throat. I seem to recall that they removed the partially-digested fish and the Payara (which was still alive) swam weakly off.

I'm pretty sure this is real. The strange bend in the Pike's body is due to rigor mortis. I've had pike in my live well go belly-up and look just like this once they stiffen up. Both pike and muskie do not discriminate on size or species of their prey. The Outdoor News had an article on natural muskie mortality where the author was pictured holding up two equal-sized muskies, both dead, one stuck in the gullet of the other. Esox aren't particularly smart fish, but what they lack in smarts, they make up for in aggressiveness. I've seen hammerhandle-sized pike caught on muskie lures that were bigger then themselves. I think this fish committed to its prey and once it was bit it was locked in.

See the pike in my avatar picture? That was caught on a 3 pound bass! I was ice fishing on Indian lake after school and just set 2 tip ups with small shiners on them (leftovers from walleye fishing). I sat in my truck reading, 15mins later I see a flag up. I calm myself and walk over. A quick hook set and slowly lift up, and luckily this was the hole with the gaff because when I see the bass, I couldn't believe what was connected to it, the avatar pike which was 36" and weighed 8 pounds. When it hit air it let go of the bass and flopped, going back down the hole. It was by far the biggest pike of my life (2nd is tied with a few 5-6 pounders) I grabbed that gaff so fast, I just swung and caught it in the side. Needless to say I kept it and it tasted good. Long story short, the pike ate the bass, and not the bait; It does happen, it is real.

That pike is pretty skinny, it just grabbed the next fish it thought it could swallow, I get that way when I'm hungry too.

Yes I saw that pic and it was a great artical too.

I saw a photo of a duck thast came out of a pikes belly it was at a bait store in Deer River it didnt look like a hoax either.

If you would/could witness what I have seen in the spear shack you would have no doubts at all what a small pike will try and eat.

I have seen pike smaller than my 12inch decoy come in and try and eat it.

Small pike have to survive and its usually by eating what ever they can in order to survive