• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Going light

Rippinlip

I am looking at doing several public hunts this year and the question I have is.

What is a good choice of stand, climbing items that pack nice and don't weigh much? In fact I am looking more for convience here than comfort.

I have multiple stands/sticks and so on, but can't seem to hit it correctly when I start to put it all on my back.

What I do have that isn't going to change much is, my bow with the bow sling, backpack with attached quiver on the BP.

I somehow want to pack all this together and still be able to hike a ways and not be ready to pass out when I get to my destination.

Thanks

I use a Api grandslam bowhunter climber and attach my pack to it. It's heavy but I still can do it I just take my time getting in to the woods this is the combo I use when hunting sherburne refuge and normally go in a mile or two, it only really bothers me on the extremely hot day then I'm normally down to my boxers and rubber boots to keep from getting heat exhaustion.

I have found the Gorilla Scout Tree Stand and Lone Wolf Climbing Sticks are a great combo to have. Together they weigh around 18 lbs or so and very easy to set up. Each weights about 9 lbs or so. I use a ratchet strap to help keep my treestand secure when it is set up and it also serves as a way to tie the treestand and climbing sticks together. Also, another idea to help reduce weight is to use a fanny pack hunting style pack. Yes, it is a smaller pack but take only what you need and plan accordingly for that specific hunt.

I have in the past I would put the stand on my back with the sticks and then attach my backpack to the stand and go that way. It does get heavy with all that on my back and which leads me to start sweating profusely. This year I am going to try a waiststyle hunting pack and see if that helps. If I need to pack a stand in I am going to try and reduce gear as much as I can.

Very few things are more frustrating than getting to the site where you're going to set up on a mild day and your shirt is soaked sweat.

Just my two cents and good luck hunting this fall.

The only stand I would suggest is the Lone Wolf hand climber, very light weight (14.7lbs) and very small on your back compared to other stands. I think they even came out with an assult version that is even smaller. These stands fold flat and are a dream to carry around. It's not super comfortable but you could do 4-6 hours easy enough and all day if you had to.

assault.jpg

I use a Lone Wolf Alpha and the Summit bucksteps. This combo weighs ~20lbs. I also use a fanny pack and a bowsling rather than a daypack.

Something I did was purchase a Molle Pack set of backpack straps and the waist belt that helps to distribute the weight and make carrying it easier.

The pack I have does allow me to strap my bow to the pack, so depending on the hunt I will bring my daypack and carry my bow on there.

Another option is using a ground blind. My Double Bull with stool has its own bag with shoulder straps and my bow straps to it too. Add in the fanny pack and its a lot bigger, but you also get more comfort and concealment. The weight is slightly more, but not much.

Actually heat checker, I think your right... I dont pack in anywhere but I have a tree saddle too and you barely know youve got it on. That and you can safely take a nap when you get where your going if your planning on an all dayer! They are almost too comfortable!

If I had to go any distance, thats what I would take.

Thanks for all the options guys!

I am going to look at the hand climber that Bear pointed out, then come back home and look at trying to package what I have together and see about the combinations.

Maybe a modification to the fanny pack I put on the shelf 2 years ago and see what I can come up with.

I have always had a slight interest in the tree saddle, but never seen one in use and they look interesting to try to shoot out of.