• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trailer Tire Recommendations

Scott M

I've got a set of trailer tires (Goodyear Decathlon) that are around 10 years old. They are showing some bad wear on the inside, which is concerning. I don't think I have a bent axle or an overloaded boat and trailer package, but I'll have to have the service shop examine both as possibilities.

Anyone have good tire suggestions? It's a pretty light boat, an Alumacraft 16.5' classic deluxe.

Goodyear Marathons always get high praise. I've also heard Maxxis makes a good trailer tire. I've had Marathons on my last three rigs, as well as my current rig, and I've never had a problem.

I just put on some Commanders on my 3000 pound trailer. Tire shop (small shop in Pequot Lakes) says they are a very good brand, comparable to Towmax which I guess are a good brand, and has not had problems or complaints about them, and they put a lot on boat trailers and campers. Replaced some Carlaisle's that I had to get in an emergency... Shop said they would not even put Carlaisles on the wheels for people wink and I agree.

oh, yea those imfamouse carlile tires. those where the ones that were on my trailer when i bought my whole rig brand new. both tires blew out the first year. to put this garbage on a 24 thousand dollar rig was amazing. that was 2002.

i put on Denman Express S/T and had them on ever since plus a brand new spare of the same brand. not one problem and the tread is good as new. dont know a thing about tires, but i do know one thing, carlile tires will never be purchased by this guy. good luck.

Are Carlisles "THAT" bad?

My new rig came shod with them (14" Radial Trails) and an extra for a spare. If all they're good for is dock bumpers, do you think I'll even make it through the rest of the season with these tires? eek

I've got a few longer trips set for this fall. I'd rather not cancel a trip just to buy tires... again.

YES

Unless they have changed since I had them on my trailer. I had just the standard tires and not the radials which MAY be better. The worst part was I was dumb enough to buy a second set from FF. On my trailer they always seemed to lose the tread layer and then it would be running on the belts when I would catch it.

Carlisles are flat out JUNK! I will never own another Carlisle tire again! I got some new Radial Akuret St's because thats what Duluth Tire had in stock and they said they were good. Duluth Tire has never gave me bad advice so I got them. 2 nd summer and they are looking like new. Best thing is they were like $80 or $90 installed if I remember correctly.

My new rig came shod with them (14" Radial Trails) and an extra for a spare. If all they're good for is dock bumpers, do you think I'll even make it through the rest of the season with these tires? eek

I've got a few longer trips set for this fall. I'd rather not cancel a trip just to buy tires... again.

You will probably get a few seasons and thats it. I think the most I got out of a set before they started doing goofy tread things is 3 seasons. Now I run my boat/trailer more than most but I think they are junk. I got my second set free or I wouldnt have even had a 2nd set of them.

Make sure you have 2 good spares on long trips into Canada or places you cant get tires as easily/ quickly.

hopefully they have changed. i would not buy one for my wheel barrel. to loose two in one season, and to both explode on me on the road is enough for me. i had the proper air and did not drive faster than the speed limit. good luck.

I don't know if Carlisle tires are the worst thing out there but I have them on my boat trailer now and they have been fine so far. I bring my boat up to the cabin (600 mile round trip) at least 4 times a year plus all the in town, around town, and shorter trips I take it on. I have a 16' aluminum boat with a 60hp console steer motor.

Based on a few testimonials previously though, may not work well on heavier boats. I don't know... mine are still doing fine on my rig after a couple years.

After too many blowouts (two for sures, and the last tire a week or so ago that was definitely about 15-20 miles from going) with one blowout causing a need for a new fender, I should have learned earlier, haha! But I ain't too smart, that's fer sure wink I had to get them last time at FF in emergency (Sunday morning and needed to get home).

But if you got 'em, use em, but I would get new tires FOR SURE after about the 4th or 5th year for sure, even if they look good. I let these last set on too long, and while we don't trailer too far, we trailer often, and tons of tread left, they are just bad tires, cheap tires. Good luck to all. I don't think you need to make any drastic changes, but don't leave them on too long, time wise.

yea, as one of the previous poster said they may be fine for lighter boats, but who knows. i forgot to add that one of my blow-outs damaged my fender on my brand new eagle trailer at the time. that bent fender is still there to remind me to never buy those tires again. good luck.

I have them (Carlisle) on my trailer. 2nd year. 17 foot Lund Sport/Adventure with a 90 hp plus many other extras.

When I was in the process of getting them, the person making the sale went over variable things and the one that stands out the most in my mind was weight. I was right at the minimum weight for boat, motor and trailer for a class C tire which was recommended.

We added in 20 gallons of fuel, 2 batteries, trolling motor, rods, reels, tackle boxes, etc, etc. After some discussion and knowing that on some of my trips I have had multiple sets of golf clubs, cases of beer, water, provisions, etc, etc I opted for the next size/weight rating. The next size rating cost me $25.00 dollars more, total.

So far so good...

Scott

I only had two years on my original new trailer tires. Only a couple trips out of town otherwise just 40-50 mile round trips to where I fish by my house all the time. Anyway , two years and they were toast right down to the belts. They wore like I have a U shaped axle or something! Cupping bad (like you took a hole saw too them), poor pattern wear on the outside, etc. I had taken them off and balanced them, switched sides on the trailer, you name it with no luck. They were junk 'all stars' I think from the factory, the Carlisle ones I had prior to that (and have now for a spare) are junk too and I don't even like using one for a spare actually. Just picked up a pair of Goodyear trailer tires yesterday for $114 a pc and that was included with mounting/balancing which wasn't too bad. The thought of changing a trailer tire at 2am on the way home is NOT appealing to me at all. The price is cheap for peace or mind and safety in my opinion. I don't intend to be someone's road-kill.

I started a thread early this spring about tire wear. Mine are right at the two year mark and the outsides were almost worn smooth. I do trailer a Navigator 165 up to Vermilion about ten times per year. The dealer said that the trailers are pre-loaded with the expectation that you'll put a bunch of gear in the boat, pushing the tires out and flattening the camber. I don't buy that but anyway, I took my wheels to the gas station down the street and had them flip the tires on the rims so that the new-looking insides could wear on the outside. If you do that, you'll get a little more life prior to needing replacements.