• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Speaking of itchy...

Scoot

...does anyone have any suggestions for what clothing works best when walking through burning weed? I've dealt with this stuff my whole life- the Red Lake River, near Fisher, MN is absolutely lined with it. It's almost everywhere and doesn't get beaten down until a good frost. Since it was taller than I was, I've been walking through the stuff. Now I hunt in it a lot near Ada, MN along the Wild Rice River. I've tried a number of different options, but I have yet to find a perfect combo of "nice and cool" and "burning weed proof".

I wonder if I need to wear a pair of pants from a rain suit over my hunting pants on the way to and from the stand, but take the rain gear off when I get to the stand? Hmmm... Other suggestions appreciated...

I guess I've never really had to deal with burning weed. Is it like a thistle? I imagine it must be pretty gnarly stuff if you're looking for clothes tough enough to fend it off.

Maybe you're going at the problem from the wrong angle. You know, thinking a bit too defensively. Time to get aggressive. Bring a brush hog or weed whacker and take care of business. Show that burning weed who's boss! grin

I'm assuming you're talking about nettles. I don't have much trouble with them if I wear jeans, but you're right they're hot.

Kind of hard for him to mow an entire river bottom, especially since there's a good chance he doesn't own it all if any of it.

Kind of hard for him to mow an entire river bottom, especially since there's a good chance he doesn't own it all if any of it.

Sarcasm is a tough thing to pick up on these boards, but I assure you that I was wink

...I was being a little sarcastic too. Which for me in general means less than normal...

LOL.

Nettle- never heard it called that. Everyone around where I grew up just commonly knew it as burning weed. I looked up nettle online and that looked very close- sounds like there are a lot of different varieties of it, so I imagine that's it.

When I was a kid I just scratched my legs a bit and moved on with life. Now that I'm old and persnickity, it bugs the heck outta me. I'll itch for a couple days if I get in the stuff ...and setting foot int he woods means I'll be in it. There are very few places in my mo-in-laws woods that aren't loaded with it. She doesn't have a ton of woods, but it's all full of it.

I guess the only thing that has worked for me is long pants long sleeved shirt and gloves. If I forget the gloves I hold my hands up (I am kind of short) But along the MN river they grow to head height some years. Doesn't it suck when one brushes your forehead...dang I hate that!

Maybe I'm a weenie, but for me a regular pair of jeans doesn't cut it. That stuff mows right through my jeans and irritates my legs like crazy.

I've seen it up to my head, but never up to my head- yuck!!!

If it eats through your pants you could try the rain gear thing, maybe two layers may be the ticket, but the two fabrics may be to soft to stop the burning weed from getting through. Another option to try would be to try a thick/heavy denim set of bibs/pants and a coat that are uninsulated over your hunting clothing? That way you could shed them once you were to your stand and would be tough enough to stand up to snags, weeds, and other stuff.

I took a quick look at Carharrtt and found a uninsulated set of bibs at http://www.carhartt.com/webapp/wcs/store...ategoryId=10909

Just an option. I found that a heavy set of denim bibs or pants helped when I had to deal with thistles on the farm.

Just my two cents and good luck.

I was also thinking the upland chaps. You can take them off fairly easily when you get to your stand.

I've always known it as stinging nettle. It drives me nuts too and I get bothered by it through nylon pants and some jeans too. Its tough to deal with if you hunt in river bottoms or other lowland areas.

I guess the only thing that has worked for me is long pants long sleeved shirt and gloves. If I forget the gloves I hold my hands up (I am kind of short)

I can back that up.....he is short!!! LOL whistle