• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Coping with new gun

I've been hunting with a Remington 870 express for my whole life. I've got a good 20 years with that model (15 years with my curent 870), but it's time for a change.

I've never been "ecstatic" about how this gun feels or shots, it was just something my old man could afford to buy me when I was younger. Many great, great hunts with this bullet proof gun (Only one jam during 15 yrs), but I want a new gun.

My problem: I'm soooo used to how this gun works. I could literaly lose my eye sight and lose all feeling in my fingers and no exactly how to use this gun. Never would I hesitate to find the safety during a startling kick up of a pheasant or grouse and that seems to be my biggest worry. I'm sort of done with Remington until the improve their quality assurance. Just seems like they have been lacking with poor quality workmanship lately.

The two guns I'm leaning towards Ithaca M37 waterfowl which has the safety in the exact same spot or the Benelli which is close but in front of the trigger gaurd. Ithaca is just ouside the purchase point, only holds 3", but seems "top notch." Benelli has just about everyhting I'm looking for in a gun...except safety location.

Is that something you guys get used to? My worry is jumping between the two styles of remington and benelli (still use 870 for some applications) and struggling to find the safety.

I don't want to get into a debate on which gun is best, I just want to know how one copes with shooting different styles of guns, i.e saftey location.

Thanks

I am left handed. I have had to use guns with safeties made for righties all of my life. I never have a problem operating safeties that are in different positions. I shoot a left hand 11/87 for trap, right handed Benelli m2 20ga for upland and a Mossberg 935 for geese. I do practice with each gun. When I hunt I don't ever think about the safety. If pumps are your passion try a Browning BPS or Mossberg.

Mwal

I have been shooting 870's for nearly 25 years. I purchased a Winchester 1300 (safety on front of trigger guard) stricly for pheasants about 7 years ago. I really liked how the gun shot but always had to ride my hand up on the stock to reach the safety then slide it back for the shot. Many times I was startled by the flush and many times I couldn't get the safety off. I wouldn't recommend it if your hand/finger can't be in the shooting position and not be able to take the saftey off. I ended up selling the gun last year for this reason.

just a personal preference, I really like the Ithaca, classic lines, looks, and a high level of fit and finish. They just don't come into the shop for repair unless it was a case of misuse or abuse, and usually thats a problem caused by storing it wet. You can shoot any waterfowl that comes by with a 3" shell and be just fine if you take time to practice and pattern your gun, then it will be old habit like your 870.

I have a couple different models where the safety is in the front of the guard and in the back and have no trouble pushing it off. If your familiar with shooting (which sounds like you are) it should not be hard to develop that muscle memory to quick flick the safety.

I also have an 870 express and 3 wingmasters but quite a few years ago I wanted an atou for waterfowl and I love remington so the search was on for a 11-87 sythn-black and you would a thunk it would of been an easy find.. well it wasnt at the time it was August and I finnaly stop GM in Maple Grove.

I asked the guy if he had one and he said I think so but its in back and I noticed a black one on the rack and asked isnt that a 11=87 he said no its a browning gold.

i asked to look at it while he went to look for the 11-87 and when he got back he said he found one I said put it back this is the gun is the gun I want. The Browning fit me so perfect it was like it was made for me.

Now I bought this gun strickly for waterfowling and Love it

I also own a stoger 2000 as well and its great too.

Find a gun that fits You. Shoulder a lot before buying .

My Dad always told me when you find one that fits you buy it because a different gun same model could be a whole differnt feel as well.

I also have an 870 express and 3 wingmasters but quite a few years ago I wanted an atou for waterfowl and I love remington so the search was on for a 11-87 sythn-black and you would a thunk it would of been an easy find.. well it wasnt at the time it was August and I finnaly stop GM in Maple Grove.

I asked the guy if he had one and he said I think so but its in back and I noticed a black one on the rack and asked isnt that a 11=87 he said no its a browning gold.

i asked to look at it while he went to look for the 11-87 and when he got back he said he found one I said put it back this is the gun is the gun I want. The Browning fit me so perfect it was like it was made for me.

Now I bought this gun strickly for waterfowling and Love it

I also own a stoger 2000 as well and its great too.

Find a gun that fits You. Shoulder a lot before buying .

My Dad always told me when you find one that fits you buy it because a different gun same model could be a whole differnt feel as well.

Great advice Elwood. Love the feel of both the Ithaca and Nova (Hate the Nova plus-fat trigger gaurd).

I must have drawn that gun (Nova) about 50 in the store going over the safety and it doesn't seem like a problem but I have a learned trait as to were I think the safety is from my 870. Think I'll save the money from the Ithaca (I know its a great gun) but the Nova is $300 less, feels good, comes in 3.5", and I'll just have to beware what gun I'm holding at the time and maybe I can just wean myself off the 870 over time.

Pulleye16, have you considered getting a new stock set for your current 870? A few years ago, I bought a boyds thumbhole shotgun stock for my 870 and it made a world of difference in how it fit me. cost way less than a new shotgun as well. After I bought an AR15, I found that I loved the idea of a stock with a handle.....my 870 stock is heavy, which is great when shooting slugs, not so good when walking fields which is why I retired it from upland hunting.

Good luck in whatever you decide, make sure you post a few pictures of your new shotgun

pulleye,

I shot a 870 for years, when I got the lust for an automatic, I went to a 11-87 - I love it, its a killing machine, and I really like the safty in the same spot, no problem going back and forth between the 870 and the 11-87.