• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Purchashing a New Boat

So this fall I will be in the market for a new(used) boat. I'm upgrading from an old 14.5' Starcraft with a 40 on it.

I'm not exactly sure what to look for but I do know I want a deep v that can handle bigger water as well as some smaller lakes. Can anyone point me in the right direction on what to be searching for? I'll have up to $8k to spend on boat/motor/trailer.

I really like the style of the Lund Pro V series setup, I know 8k isn't going to get me near one of those but is there anything comparable style wise?

There are so many brands out there I have no idea where to start looking.

I've got a full sized truck so hauling isn't an issue.

Thanks in advance.

try to find a glass boat if you are looking to fish big water

it will be tuff with 8k but you might be albe to find a warrior

being as they are belly up i guess

or a 17 ft skeeter or yar craft storm which might be your best bet but hard to find

This spring I sold a Crestliner 1750 fish hawk with a 90 hp 2 stroke Johnson that handled big water fine. Sold it for the amount you are looking to spend. I would try to get one with a four stroke if you can find one.

Gregg has a good point with warriors if you are looking for a glass boat.

I bought a pro v and 8K you are looking for mid 90s models. Found my boat and a lot of others to drool over. Have fun boat shopping.

I have a Crestliner 1750 Fish hawk with a 90 also and have fished plenty of big water, Mille lacs, Leech, LOTW and Tobin in Canada. May not be the driest in 5'-6' waves, but it does handle it nicely.

sat i saw to tin boats heading back to the gap on winnie to get into the cutfoot

bot were wheel boats both were standing up driving so the could see over the bow..it was rolling pretty good

i spose that was as fast as they dare go

i was siting down as i passed them they all had rain suits on

i had a t shirt on and was dry

sure you can fish in 18 ft tin boats and fish the big water no problem

i was on winnie in a pro v a few yrs back and it was ruff

i think i made my freind mad he had just been on the water 3 times with his boat which i didnt relize

but i said if i had to ride in this time after time i wouldnt fish unless it was close to glass flat

spend 20-30k and enjoy it

or beat the pi$$ out of yourself

$12K will get you a nice used glasn boat, a couple come to mind in that range I have seen recently.... One that comes to mind is a sweet 97 Skeeter 17' deep v with 125 merc and 9.9 kicker from Minot ND... I run that same hull and it's a nice ride.

sat i saw to tin boats heading back to the gap on winnie to get into the cutfoot

bot were wheel boats both were standing up driving so the could see over the bow..it was rolling pretty good

i spose that was as fast as they dare go

i was siting down as i passed them they all had rain suits on

i had a t shirt on and was dry

sure you can fish in 18 ft tin boats and fish the big water no problem

i was on winnie in a pro v a few yrs back and it was ruff

i think i made my freind mad he had just been on the water 3 times with his boat which i didnt relize

but i said if i had to ride in this time after time i wouldnt fish unless it was close to glass flat

spend 20-30k and enjoy it

or beat the pi$$ out of yourself

Everybody doesn't have that kind of money to spend. He said he has 8 grand...

Look into an early 2000's model lund, alumacraft, or crestliner. Obviously glass is going to be a better and drier ride, but that's probably not enough money unless the boat was a mid 90's model.

I have a 17' Lund Explorer SS and it handles big water (Mille Lacs) just fine. I wouldn't consider it a deep V but it's deep enough, very wide and is stable enough to stand up in the back corner with no problem. The Crestliner Fish Hawk is a solid boat too. Either would be a good choice if you don't have your heart set on a glass boat.

With only $8000 to spend your better off getting a Tin boat. Not many glass boats out there that I would waste $8000 on. Anything glass selling at $8000 will likely have a old motor and more than likely a 2 stroke. Save up for a year or 2 and get a nice used boat in the $12-15 grand range if possible.

With only $8000 to spend your better off getting a Tin boat. Not many glass boats out there that I would waste $8000 on. Anything glass selling at $8000 will likely have a old motor and more than likely a 2 stroke. Save up for a year or 2 and get a nice used boat in the $12-15 grand range if possible.

I pretty much agree with this. At the price range you're in, or even if you can get up to $12-$15, you will probably get a better tin rig than glass rig. Lund, Crestliner and Alumacraft are the 'big 3' and should have a choice of models to fit your needs. Other brands are likely to be priced lower so you might get more for your money from a different manufacturer. The best advice is to take your time, do a lot of shopping, and wait until you find the right boat / motor for you.

Went through similar experience about 5 years ago. At that time, I found that quality used glass rigs started at about $12K. But they were few and very far between. As I watch used market now, I'm thinking $14-15K is the low end. And again, there will be very few quality rigs at that price. On the plus side - I echo what others have said about tin boats: There will be a few bargains at $8K; if you can swing $12K, you should have no problem finding some great deals. (I also strongly recommend looking hard at end of summer/fall. I found mine then and told the seller I could not afford it at that time, but would like to check with him in early spring; he agreed and we made the deal the next March.) Best of luck. It's always fun shopping for boats!

I have a 2005 Alumacraft Lunker with a 2007 Yamaha 50 HP, little over 70 hours, that is in MN right now with a friend . . . I'm taking it back up to Namakan for about the 8th time in 3 years. Very good condition with quite a few extras that included . . . New Standard Horizon VHF Radio and antenna ( not yet installed ) Hummingbird 587ci with 2010 Navionics chip (Wired but not yet installed ) charger and eagle finder are in the boat. You're in the ball park with what you might have to pay for something like I have.

It's a little older but I'm very happy with it and stayed well under budget. This also opens my options up to any big lake I want in MN, I did not have that ability before with the little 14'.

Figuring the next boat I purchase is going to be brand new I didn't want to spend 12k and get something that is not my "dream" boat. So when THAT time comes, I'll bump this thread up again. I appreciate all of the replies.

The guy took extremely good care of this boat, salmon fished Michigan with it so it'll handle some bigger waters. I had a local marine shop take a look over it and said I pretty much stole it.

1990 Yarcraft 17' 90hp

IZ6WY.jpgqUeRG.jpgNfPyO.jpg