• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

waterdog setups

Was thinking about trying to fish for some monster walleyes with some kind of a waterdog setup. I have heard that they can produce some nice fish. Has anyone ever rigged them up and how would you hook those weird looking things. I know the Linder brothers have had excellent success with waterdogs.

I've used waterdogs and salamanders for eyes a few times.

I've run them on lindy rigs with a #2 hook and usually 1/2+ oz sinker.

Waterdogs you can leave down pretty much as long as you want(still have gills). But a salamander you'll need to bring up every 10 minutes or so for a gulp of air.

P.S.

I've found them to be much better bass bait than walleye bait although I've caught a few eyes on them(usually large).

Good Luck!

------------------
I bad day of fishing??? I honestly don't know what you're talking about!

[This message has been edited by Borch (edited 08-26-2003).]

OH! I know what you're talking about! I thought you were talking about some fake bait named Waterdog, not live bait! My bad!

People actually use those things for walleye fishing??? Unbelieveable! I've only seen waterdogs at one baitshop around here (a little farm place north of Worthington on Hwy 59), and I had NO IDEA what they were used for.

I've tried waterdogs a number of times with very limited sucess. Waterdogs, being the "baby" stage of salamanders are usually found in "fishless" waters because the adults know the little ones will end up being lunch for fish and wading birds. Hawg walleyes probably won't even know what it is. So all in all, I'd say spend your bait dollar on other flavors.

Besides, I can't stand using bait with "hands".... shocked.gif

M-H (aka: Dan)

Wher do you get your waterdogs? So far as Ive lived here in Mpls for the last 12 years Ive never seen them in any bait stores. but usualy at this time of year I catch what I think are big dogs right under the 46th st bridge on the mississippi at the ford plant. where there are a lot of 8 to 10 pound walleye that could eat them. back where Im originaly from in southern California waterdogs are one of your main baits at the bait store. mainly used for largemouth bass which can get up to 20 lbs. Florida strain. and somtimes a large cat. if you do any good with them post back. Good Luck

Sorry I didnt get back to you sooner but yes I di mean waterdogs. Ive always caught them right below the ford dam fishing for walleye. just use a fat head on or close to the bottom. ive only caught a few but it was normally just before dark. mind you I was never targeting them. on the mississippi. thats also where the big walleye would be caught but water is so low now I dont think there coming up to the dam like they normaly would. there doing some work on the dam so there keeping the water cut off a lot. might be good for dogs though.

I have used waterdogs mainly for catfish. But have caught eyes on them as well. Just hook them in their tail, right behind thier butt.....make sure you have enough wait on to keep them down. Otherwise they will swim to all different depths trying to free themselves.

they are more of a "trophy" bait, then your run of the mill bait. Sometimes that "odd" bait is what they want. And when everyone is using one thing and not having much luck is when I would try the waterdogs.

Cabelas had them once upon a time, and I would occasionally run into some minnow trappers who would save some for me. But I have never seen them at bait stores this time of year.

If you find some and want someone to join you in the "experiment", let me know. I always enjoy trying new ways through the ice.