• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Starting up question

Ryan_V

I think I would like to get into bowfishing.What do I need to start?. I have an old bow. What do need to set it up to shoot some carp? I hope this can be somewhat cheap, not much of a bugjet!

The bow is not that important just as long as it shoots, I use to do a lot of bowfishing, I first started out with the spool that screws into the stabilizer threads, with this I had minimal accuracy after 20 feet the spool would loop and produce large loops in the line that was flying with the arrow. I then switched over to the bottle real, accuracy greatly improved, really like the fact that I could reel up the line fast. In regards to arrows, get the ones that have slides built into them so when you pull back the bow with the arrow on the line slides to the front of the arrow, then when you shoot, the line slides back to the nock area, it improves accuracy but I think is a safety feature, Get the roll rest ( I used drop away but they are expensive) Any more questions PM me

Kettle

check an archery shop near you to see if they have any old bows for bow fishing. thats how i got mine paid 30 bucks for it. watch garage sales too. I like the AMS reel their tough to beat, and the plain white fiberglass arrows are pretty inexpensive.

This brings up a great question. So where do you dispose of fish when done? I am wanting to get back into this again (did it as a kid) and I don't have access to any property where I can dispose of them. Anyone have any places they would care to share? Thanks in advance for any insight on this!

I have woods I have access to and either throw them there, or I have a renter that keeps horses at my place, he has pigs at his home place, and apparently they also make good pig food, so before I go, I text him too see when he's coming next. Otherwise check with a couple farmers in your area, they usually have a pile you could use, or let you dump them in a field. DO NOT LEAVE THEM!