• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

most basic carp question

How to catch them?

I often go out with my 4 year old son. I was out on Lake Josephine this Monday and the Carp were spawning. Really cool looking, I had never seen such a thing. It was so calm I would stand up in the canoe and watch 8-12 giant carp swim around in the weedy flats. It would make for a hellofa story if my son could catch one. What tips/tricks/strategies should we employ? Is it even worth it? I am assuming they should all be released, right?

Thanks for any thoughts.

well, your best bet is to wait until after they are spawning. they're not really thinking too much about food when they're rolling around spawning

keep it simple - a few corn kernels on a small or medium sized hook ought to do the trick, once you've located a spot where carp frequent

I am a fan of sweet whole kernel corn from a can as previously mentioned. I like small hooks, even as small as #10 eagle claw bait holders, but anything smaller than a #6 is good in my book.

Nightcrawlers also seem to work just as well for me.

It's as simple as finding where the carp frequent, hook/line/split shot/bait, cast out and wait. You're literally fishing the bottom, as they root around with their mouths looking for food.

As for if "they should all be released".. They are invasive, numerous, and fast growing. Few Minnesotans would make you out to be a bad guy for keeping one, but you might get a few funny looks from anyone but someone from the Hmong population here if you said you wanted to keep it for dinner.

As far as invasives go, common carp are surprisingly benign on most waters, and I let all mine go.

I'm thinking about getting into this as well since I'd like to learn an easy way to put my daughter on fish (once old enough, only 1 1/2 right now) right at Lake Nokomis a block away from my house.

Is it ever wise to put corn on a hook (say #6 or #8) and have it hanging under a bobber suspended, or does it always need to be on the bottom typically? I'm very clueless as to how carp react typically, but I do know they're great fighters from the few I've caught doing other types of fishing.

I'm thinking about getting into this as well since I'd like to learn an easy way to put my daughter on fish (once old enough, only 1 1/2 right now) right at Lake Nokomis a block away from my house.

Is it ever wise to put corn on a hook (say #6 or #8) and have it hanging under a bobber suspended, or does it always need to be on the bottom typically? I'm very clueless as to how carp react typically, but I do know they're great fighters from the few I've caught doing other types of fishing.

some of those carp might be bigger than your 18 month old.

I'm sending you PM about carpin' wink

If there is very little wind, they may take it from a bobber. The one time I tried bobber fishing for carp, the carp seemed to spook away, but I've read of others' success.

I would still place the bait in the lower 1/4 of the water column.

You can use floats, and I've had some success with them, but bottom rigging has been far better in my experience. Go as light as you can get away with. A slow sink rate can help a lot, especially if you're sight fishing. Corn, like everyone else is saying, is the bait of choice.

I was at Nokomis yesterday. The carp were everywhere. Finding them shouldn't be a problem. They were suspending, so using a float might not be a bad idea. I'd go with something subtle, so the splash of the bobber doesn't spook them away.

As for releasing them: If you're not going to use the carp, let it go. Nothing quite like a stinking rotting carp and a bunch of buzzing flies upwind of your favorite fishing spot, simply because some guy thought that killing a carp or two was going to make a difference.

One other thing about fishing for carp, never leave your rod unattended unless it's in a good solid rod holder. I have seen more than a few rods disappear into the lake/river. Carp like to collect them.

That's one to grow on. I've seen it happen, and I've come pretty close a few times myself, even when the rod was in a good rod holder.

There are consumption guidelines for all fish in each water body posted on the MN DNR HSOforum. Carp are quite tasty if prepared correctly. I prefer the firmer flesh of carp taken from cold water over warm water fish.

how do you guys keep the bait stealers that are so prevalent in the metro lakes off your corn and crawlers. Ive attempted sight fishing for some Carp the last couple of outings just to have the sunnys and perch come in before the carp even get a chance to take the bait. Is it just one of those things or is their a technique you guys use.

Thanks for the good advice. I would be really bummed if one took off with my rod.

As far as eating them, my understanding is since they are a bottom feeder, they are not recommended for consumption.

I love me some smoked carp...tastes like turkey 2c

if you're using corn, throw a few handfulls out where you're going to cast as soon as you get to your spot- really gets 'em going

I've heard some anglers think the no-salt corn is better than the regular canned corn, but I always do well with the regular salted

I know a lot of guys like using the smaller hooks but I've had great luck with big ol' 1/0 baitholder hooks- you can really put a bunch of corn on 'em- they rarely swallow them too

to land a big carp successfully you have to have lots of patience and let them make a bunch of runs with the drag on- that's the fun part anyway!

don't horse them in especially when you bring them to shore 'cause that is when they're most likely to thrash and break your line or hook

make sure you have a good set of needlenose pliers around to get the hook out

I always let 'em go so I can catch them again (which I have!)

they are great smoked if you know someone with a smoker

As far as eating them, my understanding is since they are a bottom feeder, they are not recommended for consumption.

Most fish are bottom feeders. Where are most walleyes caught? It is about age and sizes of fish more so. I have had carp up to about 5 pounds smoked. Had none left at the parties I have served it. Although they never know what it is till later.

My son and I tried unsuccessfully to catch some big carp this weekend. They were swimming in groups, in 3-4 FOW, close to the surface. We were using corn as bait, and they showed no interest whatsoever.

I tossed a few handfuls of corn out, and they didn't have interest in that either.

I'm fairly certain the carp at the Coon Rapids Dam are spawning, so they could be spawning all over or very close to it. In that case they don't feed.

If you're able to see 'em and can't catch 'em, try the same spot in a week or two. Finding them (in lakes, particularly, is the hard part for me.

I spent several hours at the Cannon Falls dam a few weeks ago watching monster carp ignore my bait one after another. Must have been the spawn too...

And yet a week later I was catching them in the mighty Miss just fine.