• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Iron Silk?

AaronM

Its that time of year again and Im looking to respool my rod. Could anyone tell me if Iron Silk would work well trolling for walleye? Also would it matter what color to get for a murky lake? Im looking at 8lbs test and I have one more question, is this a high stretch line, or is it a lower stretch? Much thanks to any who reply. Happy fishing!

------------------
"Leave nothing to fate"

If you're trolling and want a great line with small diameter, spool up with some Berkeley Fireline. The only thing I don't use this stuff for anymore is finessing walleyes and slip-bobber rigs, it works great for everything else, zero stretch, great strength, fairly decent abrasion resistance.
Selmer

ive used alot of these types of lines and the best one ive found is power pro its a little more money but its worth it the 8 pound test has a 1 pound diameter.and is second to none when it comes to strength and hook sets.

my line of choice is stren......i don't use superlines becase when you get snagged you have to cut and re-tie too often....i won't use any berkley line because it kinks....breaks and frazzles.....lost one fish using berkley.....been using stren for 20+ years and never looked back smile.gif

Fishing Frenzy,The superlines including Iron Silk work great for trolling with artificial lures, but the characteristics or those lines don't lend themselves to sensitvity I like when fishing jig heads, lindy rigs, or crawler harnesses, I like Vanish, Stren and XT, my favorite super line has to be power pro, doesn't cut into guides, very sesitive and great knot performance. Iron silk is tough to tie.
Good luck, guts <{{{{><

I tried Iron Silk for the first time last week. I was impressed how well it held up on the rocks. On the other side, I wasn't impressed with how hard it was to tie nor was I impressed with the price. If I was going to spend $8 a spool on more line I would rather buy Berkely Vanish. Berkely XT is still my favorite though.

------------------
Tonka Boy

Ive always wondered about the theory of fish being able to feel you with the super-lines. To me it seems the mouth of the fish seems to be all cartilages which does not translate feeling. The only other way they could feel you is by resistance of the bait wanting to exist the mouth of the fish. By this time, the hook is usually buried. What I like most about the super-lines is I know 110% when a fish hits my bait. I would rather know that and miss a few than have to guess a bite with mono. I have been using super-lines for over 6 years now and I can say I haven't lost many fish from using super-lines. This has just been my experience.

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
651-271-5459
www.millelacsguideservice.com

Im with Derek on this one. Jigging is a whole different experience when you can tell rock from wood and fish from weeds. Its true. I feel a lot more and actually get way less snags because of it. When you do snag up dont use your rod to get it out. I use a leather glove. Another thing is if you usually use 6 pound test dont go with 6 pound diameter. Stick to the breaking strength. I.E. 1 pound diameter to 6 pound strength. Not 6 pound diameter and 20 pound strength.
I use fireline or power pro on all my rods except when slip bobbering. When live bait rigging I tie on a mono leader. Much better feel. Thats my 2 cents for what its worth.

Fish Fren... I fish the Mississippi River here in S.E. Mn. and use Iron Silk 8lb on all of my baitcasters, save for one which is spooled with power pro2/10. The iron works very well in the rocks and has a greater shred resistance than Vanish. It ties well when it is warm- above 35 degrees. Stretch is minimal and sensitivity is excellent. On a spinning rod I have a feeling that memory may be a problem with the iron silk, but try it and find out for yourself. As for color, I tend to go with the green in everything except the fluorocarbon. Good fishin guy..Crapster

------------------
Sure life happens- why wait

Tried my Iron Silk last weekend -

It was on the exact same rig that I had Power Pro on a month ago, and the sensitivity was night and day. If you're looking for the same sensitivity as braid, it's not in Iron Silk.

I like how it knotted - didn't burn easily like flouro. Limp and castable, didn't fly off a full spool. Great tensile strength. Had a snag (6 lb. line) and couldn't pull it free without using the pliers handles (thanx for the tip - Fishhead!). I would've sliced my fingers nicely. Lower stretch than typical mono for sure. Moss Green was dang near invisible in and above the Mississippi. Abrasion recovery was good, too.

I got a kitty on it, and I don't know if it was purely lack of swivel, or the line itself, but the cat's rolling during play twisted the snell off at the knot (didn't snap until after she was on the bank - phew!). However, that twist didn't manifest in the line and I was able to continue fishing. It sinks nicely, and resists wind better than braid of equal diameter.

That's all I know - hope it helps.

------------------
Aquaman
<')}}}}}><{
Peace and Fishes

[This message has been edited by Aquaman01 (edited 04-22-2003).]

I have 2 rigs with Iron Silk. I love this new line...I have used XT for years and have Either Power Pro or Tuff Plus on my Muskie rigs. Iron Silk for Bass and Pike fishing in the weeds convinced me this line is awesome! After battling a 17 Pike in the weeds and pads, I did not have a fray in the line whatsoever...Easy knot tying, great casting.....I have this line on a baitcasting (14lb) reel and a spinning reel (10lb).... Go for it...You will not regret it...

I've got a couple spools set up with 8 lb Iron-Silk and I also like it. It is extremely abrasion resistant. It would be fine for trolling. Keep in mind that it is actually a little bit thicker than most mono (8 lb is as thick as 10 lb), so your lures will not dive quite as deep, and they will not dive nearly as deep as they would on braided line. Seems to have pretty low memory, handles fine, stretches a little less. I think 8 lb iron silk is a great line for any application you might use 10 or 12 lb XT for. 8 lb is the only diameter I've tried so I'm not sure how it feels in smaller sizes.

I Love It! Last weekend on URL I caught and release a 40" Toothy Monster - I was using 4# Iron Silk - Moss Green it's the best. I also have my trout fishing pole spooled with 6# it is sure tough works great. I am very impressed with it and I have not noticed any problems with tying knots in it or them letting loose. Keep Smiling.

After further use, I'm going to change "stretches a little less" to "stretches a lot less." This is a very low-stretch, sensitive line. I set my iron-silk rig up with a lindy rig because of convenience/laziness and was very impressed with the sensitivity, even though it's on a low-end slow action rod. I have to say that it seems more sensitive than any mono I've ever used.