• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bait or lure of choice for opener

Do this, it works.

Sit along break or hump on opener. Bring a good pound of dynamite and light a stick, send er down and wait for the results. Sure you get a few rough fish and bullheads, but at least you don't have to worry about the shy biters.

Seriously though, I would have to say my bread and butter combo is a Northland glow fireball jighead tipped with a jumbo leech. If they are light biters I add a small stinger. Slowly bobbing it along the bottom in one foot variables but constantly making contact with the bottom. Most strikes hit on the way down.

I would check the water temp first and then decide. If its a real early spring and water temps are up then cranks would be my choice. If its late and the water is still a little cool then jigs would be my preference, folowed by a lindy rig set up with a small shiner.

Up here in the far North country Kabetogama, we have cooler water a slot limit and usually opener meets up with post spawn eyes.
For this lake nothing beats a jig and minnow. The smallest jig possible that can reach the bottom double hook the minnow and backtroll very slowly. Option number 2, use a slip bobber near the spawning beds or shallow gravel areas. Option 3, cast shoelines with raps but beware of pike, they take alot of tackle. guts <}}}}><

Jumboliah leeches. Only the biggest and the best. Worked last year for a particularly cold opener and first couple weeks.

Get the good ones that stretch out to about 8-10"!!!

I think that my favorite thing to use would have to be a lindy rig with a shinner or a leech. My second choice is the good old rapala and the third choice is a jig with powerbait. ><>
deadeye

I've never been sorry that I packed along a couple dozen Crawlers grin.gif

I start with a Shiner/Lindy or Fireball/Shiner, then move to Lindy/Leech--if those don't keep producing then I go with the Crawler/Lindy and I always put some air in my Crawlers...

------------------
Chells

Do any of you people replace your hooks with red colored hooks? A lot of ads say they trigger more strikes is this true or is it talk?

I think that my favorite jigs are the fireball jigs for livebait and the regular ones for using powerbait. I like bright colors, usually green, red, and blue are in my tackle box. As for the red hook thing, I have seen them outproduce normal ones so they are always in my box too. I hope this helps you and have a good opener!!! smile.gif
deadeye

Deadeye

Do you think the type of jig makes a big difference or not? I went out for my annual "I am only going to spend $40, but end up spending $100 fishing opener shopping spree" and I bought a couple of different varieties of jigs. Does the position of the eye make any difference in the performance or what do the different types of jigs do in contrast to each other.

Thanks in advance for any help in this subject.

I'm gonna go with a jig / live bait (minnow, shiner, worms) for the most part, but I'll probably also throw some grubs and swimbaits and try a few cranks if I get antsy. As far as jigs go, I also like the fireball ones for livebait because of the larger gap. And I think color plays a huge roll, last weekend, I was doing some crappie fishing, and wasn't landing anything until I switched to a pink jig, then I couldn't keep a minnow on. I caught lots of crappies and walleye. Good luck to all this weekend!

Jim - you're posting so fast the "Post" counter won't even keep up :-) A little excited for the opener?! Me too.
To answer your questions, red hooks have a time & place, not all factory hooks should be changed for red ones. Red hooks are good in some situations and on some lakes(for me - daytime trolling, semi-stained water), but the moral of the story is- try it in different scenarios and keep track of when it works for YOU. Regarding hook position on a jig, making that decision comes before color and size on the priority scale. A round jig with the eye 90 degrees to the hook shank will tend to present a bait horizontally, and eye on top = vertical presentation of your bait (Not your line mind you). A flat head jig with the eye 90 degrees to the shank will usually tend to "Stand up" and present your bait off the bottom and be a good jig for sand or semi soft bottom jigging. Otherwise, ask your bait shop, hopefully they'll help you with your choices and clarify how to use the products they may be selling. Mike

Tackleman

Yeah you could say I am a little excited for opener at least I was until I saw the weather forcasts for this weekend. Hopefully the weatherman is full of dump again and it will be a nice weekend. Thanks for all the help. That being said what kinds of crankbaits do you recomend for the "eyes" I have been looking at and buying shiner and perch colors.

I will be more than likely starting out with an short-gap jig from scenic tackle with a shiner, and or a leech. Next would be a lindy rig with a shiner or leech. Maybe being pulled behind a foam walker? Who knows, I know I cant wait to get out though. Good luck to everyone.

There is a huge difference in the type and brand of jigs. I have found that Scenic Tackle makes the best. VMC hooks,better paint and better patterns.

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
651-271-5459
www.millelacsguideservice.com

[This message has been edited by Derek Johnston (edited 05-07-2003).]