• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ticks

machohorn

My lab picked up some ticks by Leech lake last weekend, I only found them after they attached ( frontline is going on tonight. Anyway the ticks after blowing up with blood were about 3/8 inch long and the head was about the size of a pin (smaller then a pin head) I think these are deer ticks, should I take him in now or wait and see if he develops anything? How long before he could develop something? and would the vet treat him for the bite on my say so or should have I kept one of those nasty buggers to show him? Thanks Rick

ya I disagree there sometimes I wish I could just find a vet that had a liscence on the door that said "I grew up on a farm with lots of animals"

there is lots of exp on this forum so I think he is fine to ask here.

I would wait to see what happens with the dog but be ready to get it in.

What would one look for if waiting to see if your dog could have Lyme? Just wondering as I have a new pup now and would like to know. Thanks for your time.

I found a tick on my cat last weekend that sounds just like the one described here. Pup has frontline but the cat is a house cat and probably got it from the pup.

Lyme Disease Symptoms: (I would include Lepto too on this)

In dogs, Lyme disease produces symptoms characterized by arthritis, though it can sometimes involve heart, nervous system and the kidneys. The arthritic joints may become swollen and hot, and there may be a fever (102 to 105 degrees) and poor appetite. Dogs may also become lame because of the disease. This painful lameness often appears suddenly and may shift from one leg to another. If untreated, it may eventually disappear, only to recur weeks or months later. The glands (lymph nodes) of the dog may also be swollen.

Many dogs suffering from Lyme Disease are taken to a veterinarian because they seem to be experiencing generalized pain and have stopped eating. Often these dogs have high fevers.

Some dogs are affected with the Lyme Disease organism for over a year before they finally show symptoms. By this time, the disease may be quite widespread in the dog's body.

I can't speak for dogs left untreated. My Dog developed lameness in his front leg. Got him to the vet, tested positve, 30 day prescription of doxycyline, symptoms went away in a day or two. He was cleared to hunt within a week. They have come long ways in the treatment of Lymes.

while lyme disease is no laughing matter, i did have to chuckle a little at the medicine they gave your dog. doxycycline is the same medication given to me yesterday as a precaution for lyme disease. he only gave me two pills. i found a deer tick already on me [very small]. only had it on that day so the doc dug the head out and away i went. humans and dogs getting the same meds is ok with me. i consider them part of the family. glad your dog is doing great. good luck.

doxycycline is the same medication given to me yesterday as a precaution for lyme disease. he only gave me two pills. doc dug the head out and away i went. humans and dogs getting the same meds is ok with me.

Did he also give you a shock collar and tell you to stop rolling around in dead fish??? grin

Deer ticks in MN carry all but Rocky mount. fever in this list !

Five Tick Diseases to Watch For:

Lyme Disease: Spread by the black-legged or deer tick, this disease is most common in the Northeast. Symptoms include a circular rash at the site of the tick bite, tiredness and neurological and facial muscular problems.

Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever: Common to the Southeast, symptoms of the disease include sudden onset of fever, headache and muscle pain, followed by development of rash. The disease can be difficult to diagnose in the early stages, and without prompt and appropriate treatment it can be fatal.

Ehrlichiosis: Common to the Southwest, this disease is spread by the lone star tick and is carried by dogs, cattle, sheep, goats, and horses. Symptoms include a fever and swollen lymph nodes.

Babesiosis: This disease is carried by deer ticks and is found most often in the Northeast and upper Midwest. Symptoms include a nonproductive cough, headache and increasing malaise.

Human Granulocytic Anaplasmosis: HGA is increasingly recognized as an important and frequent cause of fever after tick bite in the upper Midwest, New England, parts of the mid-Atlantic states and northern California, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Other symptoms include headache and malaise.

Took one of our dogs in today it had a fever and lade in corner with a little shake. Anaplasmosis it is the second time for this dog to catch that nasty disease. We use k9 advantix and spray them with Zonkit still got hosed by them darn ticks. Nick

Took mmy dog in yesterday for annual shots, and had the SNAP 4D test done. Tested postive again for Anaplasmosis. Dog showing zero symptoms. Vet decided not to treat right away, sending blood to lab for positive analysis. Vet thought the last time when the dog tested positve for both Anaplasmosis and Lymes that the reading for Ana was a false positive because of how low the reading was. Hopefully the blood work comes back negative. They will call me on Saturday.

I've been using Frontline religiously.

Frontline seems to work ok on keeping ticks away, but I am seeing alot better results with Defender. Our beagles hardly get any ticks with it. Night and day difference over the Frontline. Less than 1/2 now that we use Defender. We have to apply it once a month.