• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Thin, patchy grass...

Scoot

I've got a pretty big yard- nearly an acre. The grass in the back 1/3 of my yard is nice and thick and looks really great. The grass in my front yard and near my house in back is thin and just not as full and lush as I'd like. I've plugged my yard and seeded afterwards five different times not and it's just not working. I've tried this in early June and I've tried it in Sep. The last time I did it I plugged it really good, seeded it with plenty of seed, and then went over it with a thatcher to try work in the seed that didn't get in the holes from the plugger. Nothing, nada, zip... no additional grass at all.

Over the past five years I've dumped about $500 in seed trying to fill in my grass and it's not working. I fertilize and water appropriately, but just can't get it to fill in.

My latest thought is to try get someone who has a drill seeder and have him overseed my lawn with a drill. Is this a good idea? If not, what's a better suggestion?

I'm pretty stumped on this one-- seed, water, fertilizer... it's not rocket science, why won't it grow? Suggestions please!

The soil has not been tested. However, it's in the Red River Valley and very fertile. Also, I can't imagine it's any different than the soil at the back of the yard where I have lots of grass.

I've bought good grass seed that is for sunny areas and it's going in an open area where there's lots of sun.

I don't know how old your house is, or if the yard has ALWAYS looked like that, but this is what is done a lot when a house is built. The black dirt(the GOOD STUFF) is stripped off the lot around the house, and may not have been spread back around it. You MAY only have subsoil(NOT THE GOOD STUFF) near the house. Best way to tell is dig a posthole down a couple feet in both spots. That will tell you a lot.

Yep, I dug a bunch of holes for putting in my deck- it's good Red River Valley silt for the top foot or more and right next to it I can't seem to grow any grass... I suck...

what kind of seed?

Sorry, can't remember.

Sticknstring, I've thought about it. However, I'm not ready to drop that much money. My yard is about an acre and I'd be looking at sodding almost half of that. Plus, it's not that the entire yard isn't servicable, but I'd just like it to be better...

Thanks for your suggestions and thoughts guys.

If you've seeded and spent as much as you said there has to be something with the soil unless you bought the wrong seed. Again - test the soil.

option 2 is to get some company out for a bid on doing something and learning from what they do/suggest.

I have the same problem as some areas just don't seem to grow....I am in a former farm field and have done the seeding many times even the seeding that is injected into the soil and nothing has worked so I gave up on trying anything this year........my thought is to get new dirt in the area and more seed

Why is more dirt going to solve the problem? What's wrong with the old dirt? Dirt's dirt, you need to find out what is wrong with the stuff you have. I bet it would be a lot less work to get a soil sample done and add what needs to be added than it will be to get trucks full of 'new' dirt and spend the energy and time to spread it around.

is there anything under the dirt? My back yard had no grass growing in it when it was bought. Did some landscaping and grading last weekend and took out 8 inches of dirt, class 5, rocks, cement, odds and ends from previous home owners. Even found an old sidewalk that use to be there. I was amazed at all the class 5 being only a half inch below the dirt. explains why nothing but weeds grew in certain areas. Now its all dirt and seed is planted. Its a waiting game now.