• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Transporting Canoe

I use the foam blocks to keep the canoe from scratching the top of the vehicle, and also so there is some spring tension once i tighten the canoe down. I run a flat strap as shown in the picture above over the canoe and through the vehicle. I also run a ratchet strap on the back of the canoe to the hitch, and i run two ratchet straps in the front of the canoe to each front corner fo the vehicle.

Anytime before i drive away, i grab the canoe from all directions and give it a pull making sure there is minimal movement.

If it's not tied down tight and you have a stiff side wind you can have problems. Enjoy!

Ratchet Straps... also go to any store and buy yourself a pair of those "pool noodles" you know the foam noodles kids play with in the pool.. them in half and cut a slit down one side to be able to wrap around the lip of the canoe for padding so not to scratch your rack/roof

I use ratchet straps, too. I have an aftermarket ladder rack on my truck and use foam blocks on my car. I would prefer a rack of some sort for my car but I'm just too cheap to shell out the dough for a rack that's going on a 2000 saturn. Be careful to not overtighten the straps. Easy to put too much pressure on the ends of a canoe without realizing it.

I use ratchet straps, too. Be careful to not overtighten the straps. Easy to put too much pressure on the ends of a canoe without realizing it.

Do you put the straps on the end of the boat?

I use the foam blocks so I have something to cinch against. You can use pool noodles or pipe insulation or whatever you can find. I use two straps over the top of the boat. I still use ropes on the two ends but I don't tighten them super tight. They are just there to prevent the boat from coming off to the front or rear. The straps do the heavy holding. I do this on my cars or when on my trailer that I built for hauling canoes.

I run two ratchet straps over the top, they're tight, but not deform the canoe tight. And I just run a safety rope up front.

Depending on the aerodynamics of the vehicle, webbing and straps can HUUMMMMMMMMMMM like crazy. Either twist the straps a couple of times or wrap some cord around them once it's strapped down.

I do use ratchet straps on the ends. For long trips, I have six of them things holding down my canoe. Overkill, absolutely, but I sure don't want to worry about my canoe coming off and hitting the guy behind me. I find that using two ropes or ratchet straps on the bow and stern really keeps the canoe from rocking around in high winds. I prefer the ratchets simply because they seem to more snug than rope. Might be my knots but it seems the rope stretches after a while.

Thanks guys! Well i guess it is off the fleet farm. Think i will go for the overkill, as i suck at tying knots. If anyone wants to be a sherpa your more than welcome, can hook you up with crappies this weekend and trout on the opener. Did a trial run at taking it on and off alone, and certainly need to work out a better method.

that's not me in that video.. and i own a neon.. but it does work.. really there is no more of an efficient non-damaging way of doing it yourself.. but then again.. i personally do not own a canoe and have only had to load this way a handful of times when borrowing a canoe from a friend... breaking down and deflating my toon will be 100x easier than that lol