• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Is Anchor Winch A Necessity?

amateurfishing

Been researching anchor winches for my 16 ft boat with side console steering. Not planning on river fishing, mostly back yard lakes with some mille lacs & other larger ones mixed in sparatically. Is an anchor/anchor winch necessary for rarely being on larger lakes? and if so would manual or electric be better? I would assume electric would be more beneficial but the thought of trying to hook up the power scares me. Or am i better off constantly putzzing/moving with trolling motor? I dont have state of the art fish finder or gps or anything like that so finding or staying on that honey hold aint a big deal YET.

I put a couple manual winches in my 14' Lund a few years ago. I love them because it sure cleans up the boat without all the achor rope on the floor, but if I had to do it again I would spend the extra cash and go with the electric. After reeling in 50' of anchore rope several times a day you will know why.

I have gone to just using my arms to get the anchor in and out. The anchors I use are so big and heavy that they wont work in a winch well. I had a minkota winch and it was ok but I didnt like how slow it was both up and down.

I'd spend the money for an Ipilot before an electric anchor winch.

I used to have a mechanical crank style on my 16' boat, but it just wasn't my cup o tea.

For the anchor rope mess in the boat, these things go for about $2. I put a clip on the rope so i can quick attach and detach to the anchor for easy storage of both rope and anchor.

full-26433-8056-anchor.jpg

I use 10# and 30# anchors. A richtor anchor is much lighter but i tend to lose anchors in the river bottom so i'm not spending the $$ on a richtor. That may be a good option for you.

But to the origional question, is it necessary: how's your back? How often do you anchor?

I don't use a winch, I just use my hands and arms. I will definately agree with TruthWalleys about that $2.00 rope carrier. I have 2 of them and it's the best $4.00 I've spent. You can find them in the electrical section of any Fleet Farm, Menards, etc.

I fish the same kind of lakes as you, I used the old "armstrong" anchor method for years. When I got my new to me boat it already had an electric winch on it. Now I am so spoiled I would never want to go without one. Much easier day of fishing,,every time I hit the button to bring it up I smile thinking of how I used to have to do it smile As stated already a lot nicer without all the rope and anchor laying on the floor getting in the way and I found I will move around from spot to spot more as it isn't such a hassle, especially if you are alone. When I'm not alone its my boys favorite feature on the boat wink

k, well im still undecided but if i go the "manual" route, is there a better rope to use that is easier to grip than others. last boat just had a small mushroom anchor with nylon rope & when wet from being in the water it was slick and tough to hold onto for bringing anchor up.

never used an anchor wench in my life and I've anchored hundreds of times. one thing I don't like about a winch is it is stuck where ever you put it. sometimes I like to anchor out of the bow, sometimes the stern and sometimes the side of the boat. different spots and situations call for the anchor to be out of different parts of the boat. sometimes where I put the anchor in the boat depends if I am alone or have someone else in the boat with me.

I have a real bad neck and back and a day of yanking up an anchor would, has ruin me. I need it and love it. button down, button up, no pile of rope on the floor getting snagged by trebles. I try to think smarter, not work harder.