• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Motor Options

bigstick56

Got a great deal on a new boat and we have th options of putting whatever motor we want on it. For topics sake the prices are all the same, which motor would you use. Here are my options: 115 Yamaha 4 stroke, 115 Optimax, or 115 E-tech. I will also add that the boat is a 175 Dominator Sport. Would love to hear your responses. Thanks.

Some more info would help. Do you troll a lot, are you looking for strong hole shot for pulling slalom skiiers, do you do your own maintenance, etc.

Personally I'd go for the 115 Yammy. But if I pulled slalom skiiers on occasion, then I might consider the 2S DI options. Pulling tubes or two plank skiiers will be no problem for any of the engines. All three are excellent engines, they just have different strengths.

Don't mean to be a smart azz, but if I had the "option of putting whatever motor" you wanted, I'd get a Suzuki DF115 (4 stroke). Might even save a couple bucks, and get a DF 140. Whisper quiet, solid motor, and great trolling motors.

Really depends on if you're 100% fishing (Suzuki), or also a watersporter (Opti, Etech). btw, I'm running a Yamaha. I like it, and it's been good to me, but I secretly miss my Suzuki. I run a 175 Tourney Pro, and wouldn't ever think about anything less than 140HP on that boat. That rig might do okay, but would do great with a 140 or maxed out at 150.

Good luck...

If you do the research on economy, I think you may find the difference between those motors neglible. The oil is expensive though... However, being it only a fishing boat, you may like the quietness of the 4 stroke better. Personally I would get the a DFI, but that's just me, I like the umph of 2 stroke wink The quiet factor would also be a key. No matter what anyone tells you, the etec is nowhere near as quiet as four stroke, and the optis ain't quiet wink and I am a black motor fan, ha!

This is a fishing boat...Not a waterports boat...that being said im leaning more towards the 4 stroke as I make some long runs when fishing big water, and in these day anyway to save on gas is good...

Then I'd definately lean towards one of the 4 strokes. I mistyped in original comment. I "USED" to run a Suzuki DF140 on a 175 Tourney Pro. That boat topped out in low-mid 40's, yet trolled down real nice. I used it more than my T8 for shallow water, night time trolling.

I've got a F150 Yamaha now. Highly touted, dependable motor, but it's got a distinct "growl" to it, compared to the Suzuki. No shallow nite time trolling with it.

I'd take the advice given on the Open Water Forum. At least go 140, or max it out. You will not be very happy, IMO, with any 115. Your pocketbook may up front, but it will cost big time if you want to upgrade later on. good luck....

I have pretty much the same hull (crestliner sportfish 1750) with the yamaha 115 and really like it. Very good gas mileage, very quiet, has ALWAYS started perfectly - even in 30 degree weather after sitting for a month or more.

I can't comment on the other motors you mentioned as I haven't owned one although my dad has a 225 etec and he spends a lot of money burning $40 per gallon oil - something to add to the equation since you were talking about gas money.

I will say there have been a few times where I wish I had a bigger motor. When i have 4-6 people and full gas tank, full livewells etc, it takes a while to get on plane.

you can have the best of these worlds above

with the E-Tec

power

fairly quite..as box said not as quite as the honda's and Suzuki

but more power and i would say at trolling speed it as quite as my t-8 is

also you should be able to troll with it

i have a 150 and trolls on flat water about 2.5..crank bait speed

if you are buying new..you'll be able to put it away with doing NOTHING

Oil is spendy but you don't go threw it very fast

Max out the HP! You will regret it later if you dont. They tried to sell me a 115 on a 17.5 ft boat also. No way. A couple buddies made the mistake of not maxin' out hp and wished they would have. Get a Suzuki!

you can have the best of these worlds above

with the E-Tec ...if you are buying new..you'll be able to put it away with doing NOTHING

I really don't want any engine that I don't have look at for 3 years. Nice salespitch, but kinda flies in the face of common sense...I'm sure they've got some special features and it's been thought out, but it's still pistons, gasoline and combustion.....esp. up here in MN where most of them site idle for months on end....I'm fine with doing something every now and then with my motor and knowing it's maintained. I would have a hard time buying an ETEC from someone that has done NOTHING to it for 2 1/2 years. Good motor, I'm sure, but not my style....

couldnt agree more goose

i guess i shoulda said you dont have to

but on the other hand you dont want to be overly aggressive on things

as it could void your warrenty

plus that ole saying if aint broke leave it alone

but i have faith in company engineers that also put planes in the air i think its a testament to their techonogly if they can tell you its maintenance free for 3 years

this will be my 4th yr i'm going to take it in just to have things checks out i still have 3 yrs warrnety to go

will be interesting to see what they do

its purrs when idleing so i'm thinkin not alot

i havnt started since last fall but i know i could go turn the key

and it would fire before i get the key turned all the way laugh

I think you have been given some great advice here already. With that being said I own a Navigator Sport 175 and run a 140 Suzuki on it. I also highly recommend maxing out the motor. I love my Suzuki, but I really don't think you can go wrong with any of the major brands out there. You will greatly appreciate the extra horsepower especially when the boat if full of gear and gas on a big fishing trip. MAX IT OUT!!!

I'm with Goose. I too owned a Suzuki and now own a Yammi 150. The Suzuki is undeniably quieter. I would own another Suzuki in a heartbeat; but it just so happens that my current boat came with the Yammi on it. Either way, my vote is for a 4 stroke. Good luck.

I own a 115 E-Tec and the thing is very quiet. At top speed very easy to carry on a conversation. I've owned it for 3 years now and would never get another brand. I have it on an 18ft smokercraft with a full windshield. I didn't have to get half way across the lake for it to plain out. You hit the throttle and away you go. The fuel economy is fantastic. I have had absolutely zero problems. I think you better Increase the size of the motor because a 115 of anything else doesn't compare to a 115 E-Tec.

of course I agree!!!!!lol

kinda no brainer to me

i think if some of these guys could get that 4 stroke stuff out of their head and try a e-tec they would be surprised

i said this before i think most of the trouble come's in that high horsepower stuff hence the manufactor support at tourmaments by all major brands I cant say i've heard alot complaints on motors under that 200hp now i know some ones going to chime in here and say

my friend..my uncle had a 90 or 115 lose a power head or something

and i'm sure it happens as does it with merc and the others

e-tec is rather new and very high tech so ya it's maybe going to have a problem or 2 but i think as far as i know they stand behind them fairly well..i have personally have a 6yr warrenty i'll take the chance to have kinda the best of 2 worlds power and real noisy (not as quite as some of the 4 strokes for sure) but like he said in a wheel you can carry on a conversation running across the lake...and dont forget the low maintence...they have to be doing something right when they can tell you to leave it alone for 3 yrs

I agree Greg. My guys I fish with have on their boats Merc 60 4stroke, Mariner 115, Yamaha 90. They have not had any real problems with their motors over the years either. But each of them will tell you the next motor they are getting (if and when they upgrade) is an E-Tec and they all like the current motors they have.

I have an 02 1850 Sportfish with the 115 Yammie 4 stroke. I know a lot of people will say it is underpowered, but it does what I need. with 2 people, and full fuel (40 gals.)and calm conditions, I can get 34-38 mph. When the kids were younger, we pulled tubes etc. Now that they are older, we don't see them as much at the cabin, and don't need to pull tubes etc. anymore. We have pulled skiiers, and you will know that they are back there. The Yammie is great. In almost 10 years, I have put in 1 impeller, 10 oil changes, and 10 lower unit changes, and dumped the factory water seperator 10 times. That is it. Always starts, Always! Great fuel economy, and very quiet. Not much else to say.

dukhntr