• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Daily limit and possesion ?

HooknHorns

The regs dont say anything about how old you have to be to keep a limit. My daughter will be almost three when we make a June trip. Can our family keep a limit of crappies, gills or perch when shes fishing. I would think if she eats fish like she does, she could. What do you think, or is there something Im missing.

Just want to make the most out of a once a year trip.

Hook.. make sure you check the regulations correctly, possession limit for perch is 20 daily, with 40 total in possession. This is per person, i could be way off base here but I think a childs limit is counted towards an adults limit. I'm sure someone else will chime in and correct me though smile

Are you a resident? If so...

Residents

• To qualify as a resident, a person must maintain a legal residence

in Minnesota for at least 60 consecutive days before purchasing a license.

• Residents 21 or older must provide a current Minnesota Driver’s License

or ID card, unless exempt under the Religious Freedom Act.

• A nonresident under age 21 whose parent is a Minnesota resident is

considered a resident.

• All residents age 15 and younger are allowed to take their own limit of fish

without purchasing a license.

• Residents age 16 through 64 must have a dark house spearing license

and an angling license to spear. Residents age 65 years old and older are

exempt from the dark house spearing license, but must have an angling

license to spear.

Bingo, thats what im talking about. Thanks a bunch, BG. Im a resident and Ive read the book numerous times and some how I read the line below about the darkhouse regulation and totally missed it somehow. Thanks again guys.

If my mother doesn't have a liscense, and one day I give her three northerns that I caught legally, and labeled with date and liscense number, could I do the same thing the next day, and day after? This would be three limits in her possession, all caught legally. This way she can have all her children over for a fish fry. As long as the northerns were caught in a lake without slot limits, otherwise there won't be very much fish.

If my mother doesn't have a liscense, and one day I give her three northerns that I caught legally, and labeled with date and liscense number, could I do the same thing the next day, and day after? This would be three limits in her possession, all caught legally. This way she can have all her children over for a fish fry. As long as the northerns were caught in a lake without slot limits, otherwise there won't be very much fish.

Why don't you just follow the [badWordUsage] limits the way they are set and quit trying to sneek around them. For Christ's sake people. If you want that much fish, go buy some, it will probably be cheaper.

And no, you can not give her a limit one day with your name and license number on them, then do the same the next day. Unless she ate every bit of it before you gave her any more. And you can not double dip for that matter either. Let's just give these to mom then go back out and get more for myself. Come'on. The rules are there for a reason, this would be one.

Spike-

Pretty sure workin4bait nailed it.... I am pretty sure that those fish you have kept at your moms house would be YOUR fish and would count against your limit.

Since daily limits and possession limits are the same, until those 3 northerns have been eaten, legally, you can't keep another northern.

If your mom bought a license, then you could give her 3 northerns to keep which would then count against her limit.

Your kid is 3 years old and can't possible catch a fish on her own and you CAN NOT keep a limit of fish for her.

End of story.

Party fishing is legal in Minnesota. As BG pointed out in the regs:

• All residents age 15 and younger are allowed to take their own limit of fish without purchasing a license.

I was catching my own fish at 3. I didn't bait the hook or remove the fish, but I was more than capable of setting the hook when that monstrosity of a Snoopy bobber moved and reeling in a panfish. My daughter is four and loves casting so much I tease her that her line isn't in the water long enough to catch anything. The fact is that the regs do not specifically state a minimum age. If you're a resident under the age of 16, you get a limit.

I'm no lawyer, but as long as you are with her while transporting the fish, which I assume you would be since she's 3, I see no reason, from the reg book, why as a resident under the age of 16 she isn't entitled to a limit of fish.

I feel much dumber for having to read this threat. Many ignorant opinions. If you are under 16 and able to fish you can keep a limit. END of STORY and CO will tell you that. "Buy her a license"!!??? Why would you buy a 3 yr. old a licnese? Good grief.

What do you mean a three year old can't catch fish, I watched a little guy pull a 3 lb. bass out of a lake last summer on a fishing pier, he just had his bobber sitting next to the dock fooling around and there it was, spongebob fishing pole and all - made for a great photo. Also had a 3 year odl fishing next to me on a dock a few summers back and same thing - his bobber was down between the boat and the dock and he caught a nice bass as well. Spent half the night listening to him in his tent saying "go fishy".....

I was going to say Pier why can't a 3 year old catch a fish.....I had my 1.5 year old out last year and he was able to reel in a fish with my assistance ( 13" walleye) and I am pretty sure this year he will have no problem setting the hook and reeling in the fish all by himself....granted he is a big kid (most people think he's 4) but I don't see why a 3 yr old couldn't catch fish themselves not all 3 year olds but some

Quote:
If you're a resident under the age of 16, you get a limit.

You're 100 percent wrong and stop giving bad advice that could lead to people being cited.

Quote:
Subd. 2.Residents under age 16; fishing.

(a) A resident under the age of 16 years may take fish without a license

Your daughter at 4 from the sounds of it is capable of landing a fish but you are wrong on anybody under 16 being able to keep a limit PERIOD. Newborns, toddlers DO NOT qualify or kid that is not meeting the criteria of actually fishing..

It will be up to the CO to determine if the child in his mind is actually able to participate in the sport and keep a legal limit.

Think I'll grab my Nephew who's 15 months old and BIG, head down for our 12 Walleyes on P4...LOL

It's gonna be up to the CO the age doesn't matter.

I was a part of a similar situation at Mill Ruins a few years back it wasn't a limit question but an extra line in the water deal. It was determined that the kid 4 at the time was unable to meet the criteria of participation and luckily a written warning was giving and the extra line shut down.

Hey my wife's preggo with twins there's 12 more EYES.... I kid..I kid... grin

It doesn't matter what I think or what you think that under 16 tibit means it matters what CO thinks when he shows up.

I'm sorry but planning on a limit from a kid who isn't going to be 3 until summer is pretty risky and that kid better be paying attention and not sleeping in Mom arms or doing what ever 3 year olds do when the man shows up. smile

Spike-

Pretty sure workin4bait nailed it.... I am pretty sure that those fish you have kept at your moms house would be YOUR fish and would count against your limit.

Since daily limits and possession limits are the same, until those 3 northerns have been eaten, legally, you can't keep another northern.

If your mom bought a license, then you could give her 3 northerns to keep which would then count against her limit.

Dylan,

Spike can legally keep a limit and gift them to his mother, with his name, license info and date of catch noted on the bag. The following day since his gifted limit is no longer in his possession, he may keep another limit. But that limit can not be gifted to his mother, for she already has a full possession limit. Once you have gifted a limit with all proper documentation, it is no longer legally counted in your possession. That does not allow you to go out and keep another limit in the same 24 hour period though. Basically he is looking for a way to skirt around the law which is bu11sh1t.

There are loop-holes that I personally think should be taken care of. I think that limits are there for a reason. I do agree with being able to gift a limit, but think it should be one limit gifted maximum, and you should not be able to take your limit until that gifted limit is consumed. If you want to stock up on fish for a family fish fry, take the family fishing with you and get them involved in the sport. I have on occasion gifted fish, not even a full limit to my grand parents or my fiance's parents so they can have some fish to eat. But until they have consumed their fish, I will not keep any more, and I really don't keep that much fish anyway.

Right now in my freezer is a pack of 3 bluegills, a pack with 4 crappies, a pack with 2 small eyes, a pack with a 16" eye, 1 channel cat, and 15 perch. I generally will keep a few fish on a couple ice trips and eat them through the spring and have a small fish fry. With fixins, any of those smaller packs will feed my family of three, minus the 1 16" eye. And the pack with 15 perch is reserved for the welcome home fry for my grandparents. Other than the channel cat all of those fish were caught within the last month. And don't go jumping to conclusions, the walters were from LOTW.

I also make it a point to bring my grandpa out in the boat with me a couple times each summer as well as my future father in law. Grandpa had a stroke about 10 years ago and he can barely move, but put a fishing rod in his hand and he casts like a champ. F-F-I-L used to fish all the time when he was younger but got more involved with golf. Now that I am around, he has gotten back into fishing and loves spending time in the boat with us. And my son, who will be 5 in June was out in the boat probably 30 times last year and on the ice with me about 15 times this season. He loves going fishing and has been doing it since he was 18 months old.

First fish by himself - 18 months old

2188013019_b08f2d3030.jpg

Using his ice rod in the boat last fall.

5065125319_7699a5a716.jpg

Perch and the evil eye a couple weeks ago.

5542318817_465c93bb6b.jpg

You're 100 percent wrong and stop giving bad advice that could lead to people being cited.

Your daughter at 4 from the sounds of it is capable of landing a fish but you are wrong on anybody under 16 being able to keep a limit PERIOD. Newborns, toddlers DO NOT qualify or kid that is not meeting the criteria of actually fishing..

It will be up to the CO to determine if the child in his mind is actually able to participate in the sport and keep a legal limit.

Think I'll grab my Nephew who's 15 months old and BIG, head down for our 12 Walleyes on P4...LOL

It's gonna be up to the CO the age doesn't matter.

Nowhere and I mean nowhere does the law/rules on the books state what the definition of "taking" is nor does it define when or with what qualifications a child can "take" a fish. (I'm not going by the reg book, I'm talking about the actual legal docs)

If someone got cited, they should bring it to court and I have a feeling they would win.

The CO may give a citation, but they do nothing in determining if someone is within the bounds of the law.

And as another note: In ND, there is no "storage" limit once the fish is in your house. You can have as many as you want. Very interesting IMO.

Wow I was thinking about her and my son cacthing my limit of crappies and perch. If I was fishing by myself it would be for skis. She'll definetly catch (take) and reel up her own fish. So thats not an issue. Also around were I'm from Olmsted cty. has their own panfish regs that are strict on quanity. This was the reason why I usually don't fish for panfish by myself anymore. Hopefully I can change that this year. By the way those pics are awesome.

If my three son's and I, catch our 4 limits of northerns, and clean them and label them, with liscense numbers and quantities, can we leave them at my son's, for a fish fry on mothers day? These questions aren't for finding loop-holes but some people like to know the law. It would be nice to have a CO answer this. He or she would answer this with a better vocabulary, and that would be no steer.

Yes Spike, that would be perfectly legal, but you are changing your scenario now. Before it was just you with four limits, now it is four people with one limit each. I am not a CO, but have met plenty and had discussions with them and others from the MN DNR about various topics, limits being one of them.

Go to the Annandale area forum or mississippi north forum and look for smalliehawgin, montrose area CO, and direct him to this thread. He will be more than happy to share his opinion and clue you in to the legalities.

Edit...

Sorry, smalliehawgin is a DNR biologist I believe and Wareagle is the montrose area CO. Both very knowledgable guys willing share information.

I didn't mean to jump on your case, but if you go back and read your first post it clearly sounds like you are trying to skirt the laws, and you at least know enough to know it has to be properly labeled.

These were both two different scenarios, that could happen. Neither of these were to skirt any laws, but to find out the law. The family tree, from my mom and pop down is, I think 101 of us. I would have to rent a hall, and have many more fish, for a fish fry. I honestly don't want to brake any laws, that would be a poor example for my grandchildren, and greatgrandchildren.

Best to talk to your local CO he/she is the one that is going to write you. It is their opinion that counts. Local CO up here told me that once because every law is open to interpretation to some degree. Lots of misinformation flying around on here.

Duckster