• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

pulling trailer during winter.

iceman16

i am going to pick up my boat this next saturday. my question is with snow sill on the ground and salt still on the road do i have to worry about the trailer rusting at all? when i get home should to bring it to a car wash and spray the trailer down? thanks for any help.

iceman

All trailers rust, unless they are galvanized. If it is new, I would be less concerned with it, but you will keep it looking good by washing it as much as you can. If it is painted, don't be afraid to put some wax on it every now and again, because like I said before, they all rust.

If the roadway is dry salt shouldn't be an issue, but I guess you could power wash it when you got it home. More commonly the cause or rust to trailers are paint chips caused by sand and rocks. Rust on trailers especially on the lower cross members is common and IMO doesn't cause much of a structrual problem. At least it never has for any of the trailers I've owned. I've never had a trailer that didn't get chipped up and show some rust after a couple of years. To limit the sand and gravel you could use a gravel flap or skirt that attaches to the trailer hitch and covers the entire back of the vehicle. They cost a couple hundred bucks.