• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Keeping dog alone in house

Jmnhunter

i had a kennel inside the garage [still do] for both our dogs with fresh water and a small door where they could go outside. i have a fenced back yard covering around 1 acre with a second fenceline covering the other 4 acres which is basicly woods where they could roam around all they want and come in the kennel protected from weather and always fresh water to drink. during the evening they would be with us in the house till the next day. good luck.

I used to let both of my GSP's have free run of the house all day while I was at work and they were good about it. Then one day out of the blue there was some ripped up carpet in front of our sliding door where they like to lay in the sun.

I came to the conclusion that if I leave them out of the kennel, all they do is pretty much sleep in the sun by the sliding doors or lay on our bed. So I decided that I would leave them in a the kennel down in the basement or one we have in our garage all day. I used to feel bad about doing that, but once I realized all they do is sleep and lay around all day, why not just play it safe and leave them in the kennel.

After my golden was house trained, she was fine to be left out alone in the house all day. Every dog is different. Some dogs will always dig in the trash or do other mischevious things while they are left alone. Others seem to never get into those habits.

I think JW summed it up, all dogs are different.

I just started "trusting" my 20 month old chocolate lab, by leaving her alone in the house while I go into town and she is good. On the other hand, the short hair I wouldn't leave him alone for quite a while. He will watch to see if your looking (While I'm in the same room) and then pull the counter crook routine. He stays out in the garage run when we leave, the lab gets a break from him at times by staying in the house.

You have to be able to judge your dog based on how they behave for short intervals while you step outside and leave them alone to see what they do.

I think JW summed it up, all dogs are different.

I just started "trusting" my 20 month old chocolate lab, by leaving her alone in the house while I go into town and she is good. On the other hand, the short hair I wouldn't leave him alone for quite a while. He will watch to see if your looking (While I'm in the same room) and then pull the counter crook routine. He stays out in the garage run when we leave, the lab gets a break from him at times by staying in the house.

You have to be able to judge your dog based on how they behave for short intervals while you step outside and leave them alone to see what they do.

GSP always seem to get into trouble. I have noticed this with many people who have them. Im a lab guy and always will be. I can trust my lab, as long as there is not something on the counter like my fresh 1lb turkey sandwich!

One time I brought my sandwich downstairs, set it on the coffee table went back to get my chips and drink and came back and couldn't find my sandwich. Went back up stairs to the kitchen to see if I left it up there. Thought I was losing my mind, looked at the dog he was laying there liking his lips. He got the boot out of the house and in the rear. ever since he wont touch anything on a plate unless you put it right in front of him.

I've got a 6 year old lab and he's pretty good except occasionally he'll swipe a fish from the ice or a slice of pizza on the edge of the counter when unattended.

We adopted him when he was 4 and for the first 9 months kept him in the kennel all day. One day I forgot to kennel him and everything was fine so that was that. Haven't locked him up in the kennel since and we've had no issues.

As somebody else mentioned...I'm convinced all he does is lounge around all day. He's too scared of the cats to venture around much.

We recently tore out our carpet and put in laminate flooring. Ever since then he started laying on our couch. At first it peed me off but now I just let him be. There isn't a soft spot to lay upstairs so he can claim the old couch if he wants to. I'd rather he did that than have to take up space with a big doggie bed.

Ours stay in the kennel all day, but its an indoor/outdoor kennel, so they can kinda do as they please, come in and out. (This is when they are older)

The pups have different rules. They spend the winter out of town, where they can get some more attention and play with kids, until training begins in April.

I have an indoor kennel and an outdoor one. Cant trust him (lab) inside. He can smell any minute smell and find it, usually food but it could be other bad stuff too. He loves tearing up bags and paper. Only time hes permitted upstairs is when im home so I can keep track of him. He likes his indoor kennel which gas his travel cage and pillow in it. Hes usually outside unless its to cold.

We kenneled Buzz (lab) all night and during the day while we were at work for over 2 years. The we started letting him out of the kennel at night. Eventually, he won, and the kennel is no more. To this day, if he thinks he has done something wrong, he lays down where the kennel box used to be. He has not torn up anything, ever.

dukhntr