• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trouts how i love thee

pkv

Hi girls!

Spring is approaching, and I'm super excited about stream trout fishing in MN and Wis. I've been using primarily spinners, but I would like to fly fish more this year. Does anyone know of any free or affordable fly fishing clinics for a poor graduate student like myself? It would be lovely if they were women friendly too.

Hi pkv! Welcome the Women's forum! Where in MN/WI do you normally fish? I have only fished for lake trout on Lake superior in the summer and up in Ely in the winter. Beautiful fish and I love a good battle!

The only two places in my area that offers classes that I know of are Superior Fly Angler in Superior and Great Lakes Fly Company in Duluth. I don't believe they are free. I would also like to think that they would be pretty female angler friendly!

last year here in anoka county, the anoka park system had a fly fishing class just for women. not knowing where you live you may want to contact your county park office and see if they had something along those lines. this state has a lot to offer as far as trout, so welcome to HSO and follow the trout threads for a wealth of information. good luck.

Hi girls!

Spring is approaching, and I'm super excited about stream trout fishing in MN and Wis. I've been using primarily spinners, but I would like to fly fish more this year. Does anyone know of any free or affordable fly fishing clinics for a poor graduate student like myself? It would be lovely if they were women friendly too.

Sigh....a woman who is jazzed about fly fishing the Whitewater and the Kinnikinnick. cool

Look no further than Thorne Brothers in Blaine http://www.thornebros.com/ Their flycasting classes will start end of March, early April, their flyfishing pro staff are experts that are very beginner friendly and have been teaching the same classes for years - not free, but very affordable with personalized attention. Call the GM there, John Nelson, he will hook you up with the Trout Bums in back. Will be the best small amount of $$$ you've ever spent; I don't work for them, but I do patronize them, and I can't say enough good things about the whole Thorne Bros. operation.

Hi LisaTealz,

Thanks for the welcome. I live in Oakdale, 15 minutes from the Wisconsin border -- so I primarily do my stream fishing on the Kinni and the Willow Rivers in Wisconsin. I venture out to Whitewater State Park 3-4 times a year. I've not fished on Lake Superior, but my boyfriend and I are planning to do some charter fishing for our anniversary in June. Any recommendations on good charter companies or guides?

Pkv - Yes, I have been to Whitewater twice so far. It was my first time at the SP, and with the snow it wasn't easy walking. However, I did catch a few fish. I'm just learning how to fly-fish, and couldn't quite get the hang out of it, but the panther martins were working just fine.

Hi girls!

I'll excuse the hi girls part! smile This was passed on to me.

Thorne Bros, do have several fly-fishing clinics/seminars through out the year. Stopping into the shop and having a chat with Scott Struif will get you all the answers you could ever want about fly fishing. If you let him, he will talk your ear off.

I'm thinking about heading to Whitewater this weekend. Is the state park open i.e. the public accesses over in the picnic area? I know that water is pretty slow moving during the summer, so I'm assuming it'll probably be slightly iced, but I'm hoping to do a little wading downstream. Hope it'll be balmy out! laugh

Happy days are here, sort of. This is my first trout of the year, unfortunately we got dumped with over a foot of snow the day after. Regardless, I had a splendid time last Saturday frolicking in the sun and stream. blush

181565_542033094365_19401139_31669609_37

Well, the Wisconsin catch and release trout season is approaching. March 5th if I can recall correctly. I hope the weather is warm i.e. 30-40s, any improvement from now would be fabulous!

Any one as excited or planning a ceremony for opening day? Haha! laugh

Looks like fun, I am headed to Ashland on Thursday to fish with the [YouNeedAuthorization] group. I am excited about trying out Chequamegon Bay. They have a fly fishing class this year, but it is kinda far from me. I may have to look into finding something closer. I had a very good buddy that was proficient in fly fishng and he used to have a riot fishing for gills with a fly rod. Sadly he passed away in 2000, I really miss him.