• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

To neuter or not?

Jmnhunter

I'm sure its alot of opinion but if someone who has experience and or has access to articles, let me know!

I have a 3 month lab right now, but in a couple of months (5-6 months old) I was planning on getting him snipped. I've been doing research on different articles and what I've gathered is that the benefits of neutering out weigh leaving them intact. But the time frame in which i was told to get him has me wondering 5-6 months, the articles were referring to waiting for sexual maturity while others said 5-6; and other saying not to at all.

I'm worried on losing drive, losing characterics, and mainly health factors?

I have a 5 year old male lab. I talked to my vet about whether to have him neutered or not. He told me that there really was no medical reason to have him fixed. He said it is a good idea if the dog is real aggressive, around female dogs or humping everything. He said the down side of doing it is potential weight gain.

Since he is well behaved and we don't live around anyone else, we left them on. I live in a house full of women and it is kind of comforting to know there is another set in the house....

Duckster

I have close to a two year old male lab and I have not had any problems with him and he is intact. I also have a 8 month old vizsla that is intact but only for a while longer. He is humping the other dog and exhibiting alpha dog traits that frankly I do not want. My vet also said that there is no real benefit to neutering but that it may help take away some of these unwanted behaviors.

Dan

I have a yellow lab that is about five months old...decided to have him snipped for several reasons. First I live in an area with many female dogs, so he would concentrate while I was training him for about six minutes, than as soon as he got wind of a female he went all humpy and tried to chase down some tail. Second reason was he was exibiting alpha male behaviors...not only around other dogs, but my toddler son too...basically he tried to mount my son ounce, but I kicked to the ground...hard...and let's just say that never happend again. But once I had him nuetered. That all stopped. With that being said some other behavioral problems did rearaise, but nothing to severe...had to reteach him to ring the bell if he had to go outside, and not to tear the garbage open...like said above its all about preference and what your needs are...as for hunting and training him his attention span has improved ten fold and his nose is still on the ground.

the kennel i picked him up at recommend doing so at 4 months old (to eliminate marking tendecies and aggression, and focus), i thought that was early, the vet said 5-6;

im not too worried on the weight gain as i'll watch his weight strictly; i'm just worried about the "drive" issue but have not found any science on that. also worried about his foucus during training such as the above post about female distraction (it happens to the best of us :-) )

thanks for the replies

I guess I am more of a wait and see if it is a problem before you get it done, kind of guy. If the dog doesn't exhibit any negative tendencies why do it. Realize too that it is not a sure thing. My daughters dog was neutered and he marks as much, humps more and is more aggressive towards other dogs than the unneutered dog.

What if he is a great dog and you want to breed him? Lots of factors....

Good luck,

Duckster

Do you want to breed him or not?? I think its as easy as that.

I had Morgan neutered at 6-7 months and it didn't change him one bit. I decided I had to have it done after he started marking territory on the walls at the obedience center and concentrating on the other female dogs and ignoring everything else. It was real frustrating, which got me to thinking how owners of stud dogs can train and handle their dogs with these "distractions".

I wouldn't...there's a chance that the dog will gain a lot of weight.

I have a 120lb neutered Golden Retriever as proof.

So neutering your dog made him gain weight and turn into 120 lb dog?

I neutered mine for various reasons. I wait until at least 1 year of age before doing so.

Out of many male black Labs over a few decades I'll say this: never a loss of hunting drive or energy; no weight gains; much milder temperament; much less "male" annoyance in the neutered dogs. We've had other "intact" males and you will see the difference if you have been around a lot of dogs.

I would listen to what my vet tells me about the process and then go have it done. Unless you have some sort of PROVEN Wonder Dog there is not real reason to breed it-there are plenty of puppies already.

I have a male black lab that was neutered at about 6 months. He turned lazy and lacks the drive I was hoping for. He is mild mannered as can be and great with people and other dogs. He still hunts and does well, but I think he could have been better with a full bag...

I have a male black lab that was neutered at about 6 months. He turned lazy and lacks the drive I was hoping for. He is mild mannered as can be and great with people and other dogs. He still hunts and does well, but I think he could have been better with a full bag...

Mild mannered and great with people. Hunts well. Great with other dogs.

You are fortunate. The dog just needs more work: running, retrieving, chasing a ball, training for something new. The dog ain't lazy pal.....you are!!

Count your blessings. The next guy in line has a bone headed, slow witted, clumsy footed disinterested dog with a "full bag."

Take your dog out for 30-minutes a day for the next week and then report back.

Ufatz,

Kind of harsh to call someone lazy because you don't agree with them. Whether to neuter your dog or not is a personal choice and there really is no right answer. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion.

Duckster

I think he was referring to the dog gaining a lot of weight after it was neutered.....and suggesting a possible reason why....all be it maybe not as PC as some would prefer. Fact is that food intake and exercise ultimately determine a dogs weight.

My Lab is currently at Cannon River Kennels for training and during the initial phone call they asked if he was intact. When I said yes, they told me that was good.

I know that doesn't mean much without the reasoning behind it, but they're pro trainers with a good reputation and that's their opinion. I'll ask why next time I talk to them.

Relax fellas....I was using hyperbole to make a point. Often a dog that appears to be listless, disinterested and lazy just needs somebody to get them up and moving again. Lazy owner......lazy dog.

I do NOT believe a neutered dog is predestined to become fat and lazy.

I on other hand, believe it was my genes that made ME fat and lazy.

Hey!......any excuse,, right?

I have yet to meet a lazy dog of any breed unless its sick or in pain. Neutered or not, every dog I have ever met is more then willing to exercise if you bring it outdoors and exercise with it. Letting the dog loose to exercise its self in the yard is what most dogs get and that just doesn't work out well. Control their diet and put a few miles on them each day and they will not get fat.

I agree with the above posts... Dogs get fat and out of shape for 2 reasons... too many calories taken in, in comparison to their excercise levels.... or most likely a thyroid problem. Schedule feed your dogs in lieu of free feeding, excercise them and all will be well.

If you are doing this and your dog is still putting on weight, it is most likely a metabolic issue such as low thyroid. Nuetering a dog in and of itself will not cause a weight gain in an animal. Old wives tale...

If you have no plans on breeding a dog, nueter or spay it. There is almost no call for an untitled stud dog anyways unless you are doing breedings with friend's dogs. Our egos sometimes get in the way of proper thinking in regards to breeding... We all think we have the best dog, the world's greatest hunter and want to breed them without regard to if it truley is "IMPROVING" or at least maintaining the breed. Leave it to those who are breeders, most guys buy their dogs from them in the first place, for a reason, we trust that they are producing the dogs we want by careful thought and selection, not happenstance.

Talk to your vet and take his advise.

Good Luck!

Ken

If you are not going to breed Labs, have him neutered. I have a 4 yr. old Choc. Lab. Had him neutered at 5 months. He has tons of drive, and is not fat. He does not wander from the yard, lift his leg at every tree, or hump anything.

thanks for the replies; I had the thought that all vets want to push the owners to neuter the dog; I have to get the pup some shots on wed; I'll try to get more info from her.

PS he started humping at 9 weeks, not sure about that!