• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Up in the Grand Forks area there isn't much snow to speak of. I will say we are having a below average year for snow fall in my part of the state. Went out with a few guys last week to bow hunt. A couple of them got lucky. The deer had plenty of fat. The deer are able to get food in the fields so far. The next couple of months will be the hardest on them.

As far as the coyote population I'm looking to try hunting them this winter. Going to buy a Foxbro call and some white camo this week so helpfully I can help you out there.

A buddy of mine just got back from bow-hunting by Devils Lake. Toma? Said there was about 2 feet of snow. The deer were pretty thick in the windrows. They were feeding on farmers hay bales, corn piles. He saw tons and shot but didn't find a nice buck and then later took a nice doe. Deer trails were like highways.

Lots of snow. I'm honestly not sure how it compares to last year at this point, but there's a lot of snow. Unless things change, I'm afraid we may see another crappy deal like last year.

Tom, do you have any thoughts about feeding deer or trying to help the herd out there? I'd certainly help in any way that I can if you're interested. Let me know if I can be of any help.

Yes, I would like to do something but I have no idea what to do.

When Dad was still on the ranch, he use to go and buy a hayrack of hay and put a bale out here and there. I am hoping that the deer can get throught the snow to the bottom in the alfalfa field.

The deer are going to talk another hard lick this winter. last year was bad and this one could be worse. Last winter the deer ate the bottom 6ft of the big pine tree in the front yard.

The last years have been the worst as the area ranches are rented out. When everyone ran their own ranch, there were always many large hay bales left in the feilds that the deer could get some nutrition.

I am waiting for a return call from Tim Phalen, the local CO to see if there are any programs for feeding the wildlife or if it is on the shoulders of the landowner.

I talked with Carter and he said the renter Chris had some of the huge round hay bales that were for sale. I am waiting for a call back from Chris to see what the cost would be to take 3-4 of the big round bales down to the ranch and put them in the north field, to the east field and 1 bale in the field out west. I also want to talk with Tim to make sure the deer can handle all the hay for food and that it won't mess up their stomach.

Yes, our neighbor had to have a very high fence put in and paid for by the G-N-F to keep all the deer out of the alfalfa bales.

Water depth and the flooding all depends how much water is let out of the dam in the spring.

If they open the gates, its a flood to epic proportions with high water in the spring.

This spring looks like it is looking to be pretty bad on the Sheyenne river.

Just watched a video on the North Dakota Game & Fish HSOforum with Randy Kriel from the Game & Fish and it looks like the deer and goats are having a very hard time with winter lose this winter.

Sounded like maybe next to no goat season this fall and the whitetail tags will really go down for this fall for sure.

One can view the video here but you will have to go to the previous webcasts for the deer one.

http://gf.nd.gov/

If the winter continues to hurt the deer herd, I may just take the year off and let the does regenerate the herd where we hunt. We do not have much pressure in our area so it would help them regain the population.

We also did this about 10 or so years ago as the herd was down then also.

I know after the last 2 winters the buck population had really dropped in our area and with this winter, it can only be worse.

Time again to give them a break.

Yeah, this deal sucks! Snow, snow, snow... On top of that, we've had some dang cold temps and some more in the near future (next few days). I hope it won't be as bad as it could be-- my guess is that March and April will play a big role in just how ugly it gets. Let's hope for a reasonable Spring, for the sake of the deer and, more importanly, the sake of many people who could be fighting floods again.

I would say that we are near the same amount of snow as last winter maybe a little more pretty close. Deer population hurt I don't know about that I had 9 deer on the street in front of my house last week. We are having to watch for deer by the alleys on our street they just streak out. I would imagne that we are going to take some of a hit. Probably will see more does with a single instead of twins. If you could gets some feeding done that would be great.