• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

4X4 tracks?'s

muddpuppy

Well, I think there is some reduction in speed with the tracks due to the gear reduction of the tracks, but some say you can go about 3/4ths your speed on wheels. I doubt it with the snow and extra work you're doing to turn those tracks, but I don't know each system 1st hand.

NO, you cannot take a tracked 4 wheeler of any sort on a sled trail, even if you get the permit. Others will chime in soon enough, but it is my understanding that the groomed trails are for sleds only.

What is the reasoning behind not letting atv's with tracks on the snowmobile trails?

it's a technicality issue. Nobody has stepped up to contact a legislator to try to have the laws changed to "tracked" vehicles (up to a maximum weight of course). Even if someone did, I think it would be a fat chance for it to be changed with the reputation ATVs have established over the years.

It's on page 16 of the DNR ATV Regs handout. The reasoning? Who knows. If you drop that kind of coin for that setup and buy a trail permit, I think you should be able to take a TRACKED vehicle on them. It would probably open up a big ol' can of worms, though.

The best way to get around that rule is to mount a ski on the bottom of the wheeler and then you can legally ride it on the trails as long as you have a snowmobile permit.

+1

Perfectly legal if you have skis not tracks where the front wheels are and you are under the weight restriction.

I know people who have done this and have state issued snowmobile permits.