• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Strikemaster Questions.,

MJBaldwin

I have a laser mag express and love it. I would go to a solo when it's life is over. So either will be good but if I had the choice I'd probably take the solo. Unless the solo is not a laser. If a chipper, I'd take the laser.

EYEBJIM,

I am not sure wither it is a chipper or not. I can attach a few pictures all it says was that it is a SM Solo 137 8", the other all they say is that is a SM 2HP lazer Mag Express and I will attach photos of that as well. Thanks you guys for your input so far this forum really makes things easier than sometimes going to the store and talking to someone that knows just as much as you do when you are looking for expert advice this is the best spot...

Strikemaster SOLO -

full-31702-3638-3k23pe3le5v05z35x5abdff6

full-31702-3639-3kf3o43p05q45x15s3abd7b0

full-31702-3640-3kf3me3o15y25z05p4abd971

Striekmaster Lazer Mag Express -

full-31702-3641-3kb3m03l85y15t55w0abf582full-31702-3642-3n83o53l75y05x25r6abf12f

I have a lazer express mag 8 inch very similar to the one you posted the pic of, and I absolutely love it. Starts up without issue and absolutely hates the ice. Rips right through it. It runs fairly quiet compared to many others I've heard out there. That auger, my vex, and my Icer armor have revolutionized the way I ice fish.

The chipper is on the bottom of the auger bit. This looks like a laser even though I can not see the bottom. The chipper have a slightly larger bottom.

I'd say either of these look good.

The solo looks like it may be one of the prototypes they used the year before they released the solo motors.

There were some trouble with the recoils getting cold and sticking last year with the solos. I think they had the grease too thick. Anyway They didn't have this problem with the prototypes from what I have read. In either event they have a great service team and will fix it for you or you can get instructions to fix on their HSOforum if it would have that problem.

First thing I notice is that the flighting has been painted on the "Solo"... my question (being the suspicious guy that I am whistle) is, "WHY" confused???

Next, the Solo is just an engine (like Tecumseh), the "137" just refers to engine type (either 137, 142, or 154). It doesn't tell you which model... might even be a Lazer Mag wink.

I've got a 10" Lazer Mag Express that I've run for a few years... never had a problem yet in some pretty thick ice & nasty conditions up here 2c.

Go take a look & fire them up grin.

I had the opportunity to drill holes with both models for a fishing contest in Centerville this last February; we drilled close to 1500 holes. From what I experienced the Solo had a different engine than the Lazer and it did not perform as well. The Solo overheated while the guys drilling with the Lazers could keep drilling. We had about 8 Solo's and 6 Lazers and most of the Solo's had this problem.

I had the opportunity to drill holes with both models for a fishing contest in Centerville this last February; we drilled close to 1500 holes. From what I experienced the Solo had a different engine than the Lazer and it did not perform as well. The Solo overheated while the guys drilling with the Lazers could keep drilling. We had about 8 Solo's and 6 Lazers and most of the Solo's had this problem.

Lazer is simply the type of auger blade, not the powerhead. The SM Solo can have both the Lazer style or chipper style augers. Solo is the brand of motor.

This is the first I have ever heard of a Solo overheating.

How did you know they were overheating?

My brother-in-law has the 2.5hp lazer solo, that thing will smoke my 2hp tecumseh lazer mag, we've run em side by side a few times.

My opinion........Solo, hands down

I too have never herd of the solo overheating, i'v run my brother-in-laws pretty hard, drilling hole after hole, it never skipped a beat.

We knew they were overheating because after about 50 holes through 24" of ice and we stopped them they would not restart for about 15 minutes or until they cooled down. I believe I also should have stated that the Lazer Mags were powered by Tecumseh engines vs. the Solo engine.

We knew they were overheating because after about 50 holes through 24" of ice and we stopped them they would not restart for about 15 minutes or until they cooled down. I believe I also should have stated that the Lazer Mags were powered by Tecumseh engines vs. the Solo engine.

Very odd. Pretty sure that is an isolated incident or we would have heard about this from others. The guys who drilled for some of the larger contests never complained about the Solo overheating. I've drilled 50 holes on several occasions and never skipped a beat.

I would also go Solo. Nothing but rave reviews other than Nordern's above and the minor recoil issue from last year that has since been resolved and a quick free fix anyways.

I have the solo 3hp, best ever! Sold my old laser express when the solo's came out and never looked back. The first day with the solo I ran almost 2 tanks of gas thru it with no problems. The solo is way easier to start and cuts a lot faster.

Get the Tecumseh powered engine. Drills a holes a few seconds slower than the Solo, but the Tecumseh is a reliable proven product. The Solo has issues.

Wrong. The Solo had one "issue" and that has long since been resolved. I wouldn't even consider a Tecumseh again after running a Solo for a full season.

Don't get me wrong, Tecumseh makes a great quality motor, but the Solo has it beat for sure.

Get the Tecumseh powered engine. Drills a holes a few seconds slower than the Solo, but the Tecumseh is a reliable proven product. The Solo has issues.

But I find it funny that someone say that a particular product has issues but never gives any of the issues.

I have a two year old Tecumseh Stikemaster Magnum 8 inch and have no issues with it. My brother-in-law bought a Strikemaster Magnum 10 inch with a Solo last year and he has had no issues with it.

I can't tell you much about the SM with the solo engine. I had planned to buy one last year but ran across a screaming deal on a slightly used Lazer Mag with the Tecumsah engine so I went with that instead. It's an oustanding auger imo and I'll be using it again this year.

I owned 2 Strikeasters the first one was great and would still own it today if it wasnt stolen, liked it so well I replaced it with another Strikemaster and in the course of a season replaced the rope twice, whole recoil once, 2 carb rebuilds and finaly a new carb. Got so tired of fixing it I sold it to my buddy and got a Nils.

solos do rip... I like the chipper blade, if you hit something with the lazer theyre done. chipper you can still make a hole with a little elbow grease and they are easy to sharpen with a file.

the durability and reliability of the chipper is more important to me than speed.