• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New PS3 - What games to get?

LightningBG

So my wife mentioned she is going to buy a PS3. Gotta love that girl. grin

Anyways. I haven't played a video game since 007 back in college on the N64.

For the most part I like shooting type games. I'm guessing COD or or MOH will be on the list, but I'm not sure what one or which version.

Any thoughts?

Also I would mind getting a couple cheaper filler games, any ideas?

EDIT: or should I try to get her to get a different system all together?

hard to say.. maybe try renting a few to see what you really like.. I have the new Black Ops and really like it.. I also have the new Medal of Honor and really like it. They do play very different, one is more of a run and gun style, while the other is more suited to sniper...

Then I got a bunch of sports games too.. Really like MLB the show.

I've had my PS3 since launch and still love it. I've always been a Playstation guy so I can't comment on XBox or there software.

As for recent games.....COD has a massive following. I used to play this during the Modern Warfare series but haven't had an itch to buy the more recent versions. I'm not much of a first-person shooter guy and prefer the tactical 3rd person shooters like the SOCOM series or MAG.

For sports, it depends on what your into but I do prefer the EA developed games over 2K and other sports games. I typically pick up NHL and FIFA every year for my sports fix.

Other games worth mentioning:

Red Dead Redemption. I've been playing this one a ton and the worlds are incredibly fun to explore and play online. Rockstar usually does it right. I also highly recommend Uncharted 2, everything about this game is phenomenal. I think it was game of the year so I'm sure you could find it at a reasonable price. Also, Little Big Planet is pretty awesome as well. It may appear to have an intended target audience of 9yr. olds but the game is incredibly deep and complex. The level maker tools are an absolute riot and being able to play other peoples levels is a very cool concept. They are releasing LBP2 I think in the next few months so look for that as well.

Other things to consider is the independently developed games available through the playstation network for download. Echochrome, flOwer and flow are all very unique and interesting games to play. With the amount of money in the gaming industry these days, it's nice to see the small developers getting exposure.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Uncharted 2 is amazing... heck even the story is captivating.

Metal Gear Solid 4 is another great one.

Bioshock = great. Bioshock 2 = great.

I have both an xbox and a ps3... if you plan on doing a lot of online gaming with fps, xbox live has a much bigger community, but I've never had a shortage of matchups on my ps3 games. And you'd give up uncharted 2 and metal gear solid 4 and gran tourismo if you went any other way.

I'm happy with my ps3 for sure.

Love the PS3, graphics/sound are awesome, plus its a Blu Ray player if you have an HD TV.

-COD (MW2 & Black Ops are both great)

-Battlefield 1943 (WWII Shooter) is a great game for $10 you can buy through the PS Store - and you can even drive tanks!! (It was the first game I started with)

-God of War series is good if you like hack/slash action games

-Grand Theft Auto series

-Assassin's Creed 2 is awesome (hard to get the hang of at first, but very addicting)

-Need for Speed Shift is probably the best driving game out currently. Gran Tourism Series is considered the top series, and is coming out in a month or so.

-Elder Scrolls: Oblivion for dungeon crawler/fantasy game

-Pixel Junk Monsters for Real Time Strategy ($10 through PS Store)

-Final Fantasy if you like the Jap Fantasy genre (haven't played it)

-Prerequisite Madden NFL. I have kind of gotten bored with the series and played Madden 10 maybe 5 hours.

-Red Dead Redemption (Western Based) Haven't played it but have heard good things.

Note: You can check out the Greatest Hits section in a retailer and there are some decent games in there, but some bad ones as well. They are usually in the $20-30 range) Might be a good way to pick up an earlier version of a current game to see if you like it. Otherwise I would rent a few and go from there.

Another vote for the COD and MOH series. If I were you I'd pick up COD modern warfare 2 right now, lots of used copies floating around and most all of the hard-core gamers have moved onto Black Ops, so the online gaming should be a little easier to get the hang of without getting killed every 30 seconds. I loved Fallout 3, huge game and takes forever but it's a ton of fun, and should be pretty cheap since it's a few years old now. I really don't like sports games so I'm the wrong person to ask if that's you're cup o' tea. Red Dead Redemption is awesome. And personally, I like the Playstation more than the 360. Also you get a free Blu-Ray player with the ps.