• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rage broadhead

kevfish1

Yeah I saw a buck that got shot with a 12 guage slug in the shoulder. Lucky for the party that was tracking it for 2 miles it walked by one of our guys and he shot it in the lungs which ended the chase. For a second there I thought maybe we'd all have to change to 10 guage shot guns cause those 12 guage slugs just can't penetrate bone. Geez guys come on...

Over the past 3 years I've killed five does and one 6 pt with the 2 blade Rages. I've yet to lose an animal or have one travel more than 60 yards after the shot. 3 of these kills were steep angle shots and the rage punched through the shoulder blade and continued on giving full penetration. Now,there's a huge difference between the shoulder blade and the shoulder joint, if you're hitting the joint you are aiming too far forward. Many see this and claim the perfect shot but it's actually a low percentage hit, a bad shot even with a rifle IMO. I am shooting 71#'s and close to 500 grains so KE is not a problem for me. If you are light on KE there are probably better options out there.

you are correct donbo it is all about placement. but some broadheads can punch threw the thick part of the shoulder bone. i have shot my montec g5 threw the thick part and it went right threw the bone. it did not get a pass threw tho. but in my own opinion i don't think they can crush threw bones like other broad heads. dont get me wrong that they are a nice entrence and exit wound and i shoot the rage 2 blade myself. you just have to make sure you are taking the right shot

Have shot 4 does with rage 2 blades and been wowed by the holes nothing went over 15 yards... until buckly arrow placement was good hit the farthest back rib or 2nd farthest back at a buck standing just about straight away arrow should have come out between his front legs (17 yards out 18' feet up). It came out just about perpendicular to entrance hole just a little lower. The arrow never passed all the way through, hung out both sides as he bolted (65lbs bowtech destoyer). Found the arrow 150 yards away broad head never opened up. Coyotes or wolves (we got the both) got the buck before I did the next morning approx. 250 yards farther away. Nothing is perfect, me I going back to Zwickeys they like bone. like the man before said "proceed with caution"

Dogs,

"The arrow never passed all the way through, hung out both sides as he bolted"

Not sure what your saying here because your contridicting yourself in this sentence. I'm not for or against the broadhead but just want to hear a more clearer statement from what you saw, this in no way is to bash you but what do you mean by "never passed through" and it "hung out both sides" can you clarify?

mr

Dogs,

Not sure what your saying here because your contridicting yourself in this sentence. I'm not for or against the broadhead but just want to hear a more clearer statement from what you saw, this in no way is to bash you but what do you mean by "never passed through" and it "hung out both sides" can you clarify?

mr

I'd also like to comment on the statement "at a buck standing just about straight away". This is not a high percentage shot with any broadhead and especially a mechanical as they are prone to cartwheeling at a sharp angle. Again, it all comes down to shot selection and placement. Please don't blame the broadhead.

Meaning that the arrow itself never completely passed through; the broad head did, but the arrow had 10'inches that never entered the deer. That was last night, found him this morning approx. 250 yards from where I shot him. Entrance and exit wounds looked pretty much like a field tip did them, but the inside was plum full of blood. Them deers sure were moving tonite in my area.

I've found this to be a real interesting tpoic. While I'm armed with Rage, I have never killed anything yet and so express no opinion on what head to use. But I do want to comment on the physics of a hit that hasn't been commented on yet.

When an arrow strikes soft tissue, it likely will continue through in a straight path until it passes through, or hits bone on the opposite side, or otherwise runs out of energy and stops. When it strikes a bone, everything changes.

Unlike the commercial where a mechanical broadhead is shot through a piece of particle board at a steep angle, as impressive as the demonstration is, it does not accurately reflect what happens when an arrow hits bone on an animal. The bone, be it shoulder, leg, or heavy rib, is an irregularly shaped object "floating" in surrounding tissue. No bones are truely striaght, they have some form of curved shape or surface. This produces a resultant rotational torqe on the arrow, trying to rotate the arrow off it's straight axis of flight. Furthermore, the soft tissue acts like a big shock absorber behind the bone. Energy rapidly dissapates over a larger area. The archer wanted it to penetrate but physics are woking against it.

No broadhead escapes this. Some may penetrate slightly better than others but a heavy bone hit comes down to a slim chance of whether the arrow penetrates far enough. Since most hunters shoot the heaviest draw weight they are comfortable with, knowing the animals anatomy and being skilled enough to hit vitals thorough soft tissue is the key, although it is easier said than done.

well i saw first hand this weekend what a rage can do, one of the guys that hunts with us shot his first deer ever and he was shooting rage broadheads. His two shots were BAD first shot he severed the spine the second shot i dont even know back ribs someplace. Well when i walked up to see the deer my gfs dad said look what he did to this thing then he flipped the deer over and man that rage put a monster whole in that deer, i was impressed looked like a shotgun blast to the back. That being said yes i was impressed with the size of the wound, but you still wont find me shooting those things anytime soon.