• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Navionics lake map app for Droid

Has anyone used Navionics lake map app for their Droid? Thoughts? I was thinking for less than $20 it wouldn’t be a bad option for ice fishing but was curious if it really was any better/detailed compared to the lake maps on the DNR HSOforum.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't imagine it being too much different, but if it's anything like the iPhone version, it's definitely worth the money IMO.

The HD maps beat the snot out of the DNR maps for definition (1 ft. contours), and as far as portability, well... Add in GPS capabilities...

The thing I haven't figured out how to do yet is how to drop a waypoint. "Favorite" spots, yes; Waypoints, no. Otherwise, I'm marking all sorts of different places I want to try out once the ice is good.

The thing I haven't figured out how to do yet is how to drop a waypoint. "Favorite" spots, yes; Waypoints, no. Otherwise, I'm marking all sorts of different places I want to try out once the ice is good.

In the FAQs for the droid version it says it can save up to 99 waypoints per route, and you can create up to 100 routes. Doesn't sound bad for a mobile app.

I've got it for Droid2 and its pretty sweet. I'm sure many of the lakes are dnr based but so far alot of the lakes I fish the most are Nav scanned and 1 foot contours. So far the map portion is better than my Lakemaster chips in both my H2O and Bird sidefinder, especially on the lakes I fish the most. Can't vouch for the accuracy of the gps yet since I just got the app a couple weeks ago, but it seems pretty good around the house.

In the FAQs for the droid version it says it can save up to 99 waypoints per route, and you can create up to 100 routes. Doesn't sound bad for a mobile app.

For me it says you can save an unlimited number of routes.

Hey Caman, what was the exact one you downloaded? There are a few I am thinking it could be and they don’t give good descriptions of actual states that are included. I don't want to download the wrong one. Thanks

I have this on my HTC Droid Incredible and it rocks! GPS is accurate to within a few feet especially when your in the open. It was 12 bucks to download and worth every penny. especially when you consider the chip is 100 bucks. Definately makes sure you download the "lakes" north one. It is way better than DNR maps and as stated above has 1 foot contours and place names on the maps such as for gravel bars and such. For the money its a must have if your an android user.

My buddy (MNSnow) bought it and we used it on Lake Kabetogema this August. All I'll say is it was better than my H20/Lakemaster combo, with a bigger, easier to read screen and functionality. Its a great value. Days of the stand alone GPS units are numbered.

Since I picked up a Droid X this week, my H2O may be put on Craig's list soon.

Remember, you are still dealing with a phone, so you will have to be much gentler on it than a stand alone GPS. grin

But as far as usablity, it blows the H20 out of the water. For example, I can pull up the app (with GPS turned off), and in 5 seconds have the map up and running. The GPS locks on that fast. Try that with your H20 smile

As far as memory, not sure how much it takes, but on the Android marketplace, once you pay for it and download it, you can re-download as often as you want. It's tied to your account, not your phone.

One thing to remember, I do alot of early ice 4 wheeling ice fishing trips. I have a ram mount for my lowrance. My droid phone is much more expensive to replace. I'm not going to want my phone to take the beating my gps does! If I'm in the truck, that's different, but on a rainy/snowy day, my phone needs to be protected

Dtro, what size card do you have in your Droid? I'm not sure how far/long a 2GB card will get me. My phone has a 12GB internal memory but I've learned that some apps or components of apps require you to save things to the card vs the phone. I seen different opinions on how much space the Navionics lake map app and maps take up. Do you recommend purchasing a 8GB card?

I downloaded it 2 weeks ago. It ended up being $14.08. I've only got to use it on a small lake in the cities so far and it did not impress me. It showed none of the structure that i know is in the lake but on most other lakes that i do fish it seems to have better detail.