• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Navionics lake map app for Droid

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First thing is yes you have to be more gentle with the phone, not a deal breaker. second no it cant take being submerged but i use an otterbox brand case for my phone (the defender series) and it gives three layers of protection. it has 2 hard plastic shells that slide lock together over it with a built in screen protector then a soft rubber sleeve that fits over the shell. makes it shock proof dust proof with and wet proof (again NOT submersible). no i dont work for them im just impressed by the quality. the cost is about 50 bucks. As far as the memory card goes the app itself doesnt allow to be moved to the memory card. maybe saving the waypoints does im not sure. maybe someone else knows that answer. my phone does not lag with the addition of this app and i have countless others on it as well. i believe its a well developed app.

Mobile market going to be the death of the xpensive lake chips? I'll be getting the Droid2 or Incredible and will for sure download the Navionics app.

I hope so, I cant believe they can get away with charging 100 bucks for them in this day and age.

Then again, a HDS-8 is like 1700 bucks too. Thats like 4 iPads, which is arguable more computer for the money.

A couple of things I would really like to see with the app, is the ability to zoom closer in, and also be able to "pinch zoom" in and out rather than a +/- button.

I contacted Navionics about adding these features in the future:

To answer your first question, there is no information suggesting that future versions of the Navionics Mobile apps will have the ability to zoom in closer than 0.05NM on the Android platform.

As far as the ability to “pinch to zoom”, it is currently available on the iPhone and iPad versions of the Navionics Mobile apps, but is not available on the Android platform at this time. This function may be added in future versions, however, there is no definite release date as to when an update with this feature will be released.

I just finally downloaded this app (for iphone). WOW. I can't believe how great this is. I was considering buying a handheld GPS but now wouldn't even consider it. It even had the dinky 200 acre lake out by my parents house with contours.

Well worth the $10. Thank you to everyone who encouraged me to try this route first.

I can't wait to use this on my regular "go to" lake.

When you bought the app, was it in foreign currency? I have the samsung moment and have never bought an app before, It appears that for me it is thru google and shows to be foreign currency. Is this the norm?

That does NOT sound normal to me. Obviously it's different for an iPhone, but I just went to the Appstore and searched for "Navionics", then pressed "buy". Cost me $9.99 US dollars.

I would hold off on buying that particular app.

Otherwise check the Navionics HSOforum...sounds like they have apps that work with other Samsung smartphones but the people at navionics should be able to direct you to a reputable source for a legit app in US currency.

I have tried to download the charts and it keeps telling me that the download failed? It has failed 8 or 9 times now? I have an HTC EVO which isn't on the supported phones list, but it uses the same OS as the HERO which is on the list.

Adam

First off, I have to say thank you to all! Just downloaded it, and I'm very impressed. I've been looking to replace the 4 yr old Lakemaster chip for my Garmin, and I think this did just that.

quijibo, I have an EVO 4G and it worked fine. Before downloading, I shut off the sprint network and used my WIFI. Might try that?

I wouldn't even try to download it without Wi-Fi, the file is way too big and will take too long over a cell connection.

and yes, my purchase was in Euros, not dollars, but it converted to us dollars through google checkout.

The purchase might be flagged by your bank because of the google foreign currency thing. But just wanted to confirm that it is legit.

The only reason I shut off the network was because I've found that occationally WI-FI will disconnect if the network is on. It's a once in a while thing, and I figured that with the size of this download, I didn't want to take that chance.

This is with the EVO, and it could just be my phone.

Now it just says "Non riuscito a scaricare la configurazione" and gives me the options; Retry or quit. I actually had it working for a while but it would only show info for California. There wasn't so much as a road listed East of Cali. Their FAQ's recommended deleting the charts and trying again, now I get the message listed above.

Adam

P.S. I didn't have a problem downloading it, but once it reached 100% it would say that the download failed.

Quijibo: sorry to say this but it sounds like you downloaded the California or west coast app. Make sure you are downloading "Lakes - North"

And just so nobody gets scared, my bank flagged this transaction and called me within 30 seconds of purchasing while it was being downloaded. No big deal I just confirmed the transaction and I was good to go. The foreign currency thing is the kicker.