• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bounce dryer sheets?

Far-I

i dont think they hurt but they dont completely keep them away

that was my experience in the RV

irish spring soap is the ticket

plus bait bars you can buy those most any where

moth balls might work but we put those in the RV one year took towards the middle of july before we got rid of the smell

might be ok in a boat

I've had good results with the dryer sheets both in my boat and in my boathouse. They definitely smell better than the mothballs in the spring. I think the biggest thing is to make sure you don't have food or anything else in the boat that might attract mice and then break out the Bounce! Irish Spring would be pretty refreshing too. I'll keep that in mind and might do an experiment in a shed this winter.

I've had good results with the dryer sheets both in my boat and in my boathouse. They definitely smell better than the mothballs in the spring. I think the biggest thing is to make sure you don't have food or anything else in the boat that might attract mice and then break out the Bounce! Irish Spring would be pretty refreshing too. I'll keep that in mind and might do an experiment in a shed this winter.

I agree with this also, I have used them in my portable fish house for years. And the boat the last 5 years. I think I might try the soap thing this fall though.

For those of you that do the soap thing. how many bars do you use??

Do you cut it up or something?? Shread it and lay in onion bags??

I've heard lots of stories about guys who used dryer sheets for years and never had a problem --- until all of a sudden one year the little ba$tard$ chewed them up and even made nests out of them. No way I'll use dryer sheets in my stuff.

I use mothballs. Put a few inside old socks, tie the ends of the socks, put them in the storage lockers and whereever else you think the mice might go (ie. by your wiring). In the spring just pull the socks out. It's never taken more than 1 day with the lids sitting open to get the odor completely out of my boat.

Good luck, hope this helps.

we put like a couple bars in drawers..couple under the sink.etc etc

we had soap from last yr and shaved off the older soap to get to the new soap

it looked liked the mice had chewed on the older soap till they got though the old stuff

its cheap use alot cuz debbie (my gf) said shes never had a problem with mice using the soap

i recommend using the bait bars to we bought some and had them under

the sink and they chewd into the unopened package

i think another thing that is important..as someone above said

be sure theres no food or loose things for them to make nests easy

even loose ends on rope.....the little critters are cagey

Dang, i have to go back to the store for soap now! Already picked up the dryer sheets and mothballs! Sheets worked ok last year, but had mice using my boat to store dog food. Didn't see the 1/4 bag tucked in the corner of the garage. Got rid of the food source and didn't have any issues. The mouse trap by the tires helped too smile

I use mothballs and it works for me. After the boat is tented off(stored outside)with open vents on each end I can smell the mothballs wafting through the air.

Two stores I stopped at were out of mothballs and I want the boat put away today.

I have some urinal mints I'll try. If the mice p in the boat I hope they at least have good aim and hit the mints. smile

My brothers boat is stored next to mine. I'll put a box of Captain Crunch in his boat to keep them away from mine. smile

Just kidding, I'll wait and get some mothballs.

Storing my boat away from my home for the first time. Never had a mouse problem at home but my truck restoration project has waited long enough...need to make room.

I am taking the boat to an out building on a farm...and I;m worried.

so

I am in the process of making a 12" tall aluminum ring that will go around the tires and the trailer jack wheel....hopefully they won't climb the smooth wall?

Sounds like I might as well put in some moth balls and dryer sheets.

I used to have a hobby farm and stored 18 to 20 boats most winters. Very few problems with mice if people followed some simple rules. The most important thing is to get all food or things that resemble food out of the boat.

Empty snack bags lost in compartments or a zip lock of dog food in the glove box from the last time Spot was in the boat with you will always attract mice.

2 things you might not think of but the mice will, are worm bedding ground into your carpet and Gulp or other edible plastic baits. Once mice chewed through the pocket on the end of a soft tackle bag to get at some Gulp leeches and that was before the Gulp Alive came out.

If you use bait blocks put them on the floor by the wheels and jack, don't put them in the boat. It is a bait and attracts mice. They may do some damage before they die.

People had good luck with dryer sheets, moth balls, peppermint oil and Irish Spring as long as there was no food in the boat.