• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

springer jumping on people

huskie0302

You can break him of this by kneeing him in the chest when he jumps up on you and saying "down" when you knee him. Once he gets that then bring a friend in to do the same thing. Keep doing that and he will eventually associate jumping up on people with being kneed in the chest and will likely stop that behavior.

step on his back feet when he jumps on you. Also be sure to never let anyone praise him for jumping on them (wait for him to sit back down before petting him). At least that worked for me

Please don't take this advise. While it may work, it is very dangerous to the dog and is very easy to harm the dogs feet by stepping too hard.

A quick knee to their chest, or better yet, have them on leash when someone comes over. Make them sit before any reinforcement, and if they do jump up, an immediate correction is given.

someone on here in the past, suggested letting the dog jump up on you, but when he does it grab the front arms and where the dew claw should be or still is, pinch really hard with your thumb and hold it as you command "down" and do not release until your dogs feet are back on the ground.

this is supposed to be a very tender area for dogs and I only had to do this a couple times with each of my GSP's and it worked like a charm.

We have him on a leash when people come over and that has helped, but he still continues to jump. I have tried the knee into the chest, then he thinks you are playing (lots of puppy still in him). After about 2-5 min he is calmed down and normal again. I will try the pinch and see if that works.

Yeah, the stepping on back foot also worked with me. Very quickly too I might add. My trainer who is a nationally known field dog trainer taught me this with my 1st springer and have seen him do that with many other dogs. I don't buy "This will harm your dog stuff". My pup has been through hell, she's had 2in twigs pulled out of her eye socket, barbed wire cut from the legs and a limb pulled from her chest. Stepping on her foot is no different than stepping on yours. It's not like you will be doing 10x a day for the next 2 weeks. It took her about 3 times to understand it and that was 8 years ago.

Yeah, the stepping on back foot also worked with me. Very quickly too I might add. My trainer who is a nationally known field dog trainer taught me this with my 1st springer and have seen him do that with many other dogs. I don't buy "This will harm your dog stuff". My pup has been through hell, she's had 2in twigs pulled out of her eye socket, barbed wire cut from the legs and a limb pulled from her chest. Stepping on her foot is no different than stepping on yours. It's not like you will be doing 10x a day for the next 2 weeks. It took her about 3 times to understand it and that was 8 years ago.

+1

Couldn't agree more! The things we do to our dogs (assuming you are sane) are nothing compared to what they are biologically built to handle! I get a little tired of people babying dogs like they are a fragile toy; when in all reality they are an extremely well built (but domesticated) hunting machine.

Unless of course you have a Yorky or something, but then again shame on you wink JK

As or if and when you build up the SIT maybe use that to hold him and teach him what SIT means think of it as stay where you are. do the same thing you do when teaching SIT as people come in the door. maybe have the person pet him quick on well they take off there shoes. he should be sitting with you over him all along.

we do have him sit while someone comes in the door, but when hes sitting hes shaking his tail so bad that he automatically stands up. I tried the stepping on his toes. I barely touched his toe and he instantly stopped jumping. He looked at me in total shock!! What a funny look. My mom walked in the door and he ran over to her and thought twice about jumping. I can't believe that worked the first time!!! I swear I didn't even put pressure on it and it worked. Thanks for all the ideas. I hope he continues to not jump...

You can break him of this by kneeing him in the chest when he jumps up on you and saying "down" when you knee him. Once he gets that then bring a friend in to do the same thing. Keep doing that and he will eventually associate jumping up on people with being kneed in the chest and will likely stop that behavior.

This was about the smartest idea and as said be firm about it. Another full proof way is to put a pinch collar on when people are coming to the door. It slips on easy and fast, have a 8-10 cord on it and be ready. when he goes for it have the slack out and give a little tug. He will quit. Also the rope can lay on the ground as he walks, Step on it short enough to not let him get up with out him pinching him self and when he trys it he trains himself. This works for taking birds from them as well so they don't rip your hand off as you took it away.