• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Summer at Agassiz National Wildlife Refuge

Hello fellow photography friends!! Its been many months since I have last posted here as I spent the summer working at Agassiz National Wildlife Refuge north of Thief River Falls, MN. I had hoped to get out more and pick up some good shots over the summer but overall it was a poor summer weather-wise and we had many rainy, windy or dreary days making it tough to photograph. Here is a small compilation of my summer and what I saw from my eyes. Enjoy!

Wood Lily

IMG_0058.jpg

Touch-Me-Not

IMG_0145.jpg

Fringed Gention

IMG_0970.jpg

Black Eyed Susan

IMG_0377.jpg

Phragmities

IMG_9632.jpg

Rising Moon Over the Marsh

IMG_9724.jpg

Agassiz NWR

IMG_9419.jpg

White Tailed Deer

IMG_0428.jpg

Red Fox Kit

IMG_9927.jpg

Red Fox Kits

IMG_9953.jpg

Thanks for sharing those, Jeremy. They make me nostalgic for my days growing up on the Eastern N.D. prairie, including a ton of birding trips to Agassiz. Excellent stuff! I thought I was going to be able to pick a favorite, but there ended up being about 10 favorites.

I have to give the nod, though, to the two kits on the prairie. Love those environmentals! smile

Thanks everyone for the kind remarks. They definitely are no place near the quality where I would like to be at but I am always learning and one day I hope to be half as good as Steve and Ken. :-)

As many of you stated Agassiz is definitely a beautiful and diverse place for being in "the middle of now where" to many. It boasts a large number of migrating waterfowl each spring and fall, has two packs of wolves that use the refuge, a falling population of moose last estimated at 50 according to this past winters aerial survey, and thousands of acres of unbroken wetlands and open marshes (excluding when it is farmed in the early 1900s) I highly suggest if anyone gets to chance to visit it. Its part of the National Wildlife Refuge System paid for by YOUR tax dollars. They are free to visit and often times you will see and possibly photograph some very unique subjects.