• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Land Owners in the Superior Area

gardn184

Hello Everyone,

I'm looking for a new hunting spot for the season since the City hunt in Superior is getting rather crowded. I'm a 22 year old college student at the University of Wisconsin Superior. I study Biology and am a firm believer in proper hunting ethics and Quality Deer Mangagement. I'm just curious if anyone has had any luck with previous land owners in the area. I'm not looking to move in on anyones spot but if there was someone who had an old area that they used to hunt and are no longer using, any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any and all info, I'll be making cold calls as soon as my mouth is back to normal after getting my wisdom teeth yanked out today.

To keep the information a little more private here is my email

[email protected]

Good luck with the cold calls to strangers in MN, Ive never had much luck. I do know there is a ton a public land up in your neck of the woods, your time might be better spent scouting and ground truthing some of those big tracts - My $0.02

I would love to get into the duluth hunt but unfortuneatly I can't afford the out of state license. Maybe after I graduate I'll be able to, but until then I'll be hunting the cheesy side of the border. Was just curious if anyone knew of someplace else to hunt over there, thanks for all the suggestions though guys I'll definetly be looking into the city hunt in Duluth down the road, I'll be video taping a couple of my buddies over there this fall as it is so I'm sure I'll see some big deer

I also hunt in Superior. The fact is, there are acres of territory that are either lightly hunted or not hunted at all. You just have to be willing to find them or hoof it a little further. For sure, obvious spots, like 28th street ski trail, has a little pressure but the trails go a long way and hunters thin out. Last year, I believe I encountered only two hunters in the woods while following deer trails. Occasionally I would meet a hunter in the parking lot, ask where he was going or even walk half way in with him. Because I had done my scouting I always have a spot and alternate locations. Get the map on line of where you can hunt and study the areas and do some pre season scouting. To be sure, much of it is brushy, but there are stands of pine, aspen, open meadows, shallow ravines and areas of open forrest floor. Many spots others pass by for one reason or another. Some of the cleared snowmobile trails go for miles. Got a boat? Some spots are accessable by boat yet few do it. (Hogshead Island, Nemadji river, Pokegama Point). Get out your compass, carry a cell phone in case you get lost (yes, you can get lost big time), and I gaurantee you wil find a remote spot and you will be alone and you don't have to go far from UWS.

Yeah, the whole Superior Municipal Forest is full of deer. They're all over the place. I used to spend a lot of time in there when I lived in Suptown, including bowhunting. Great advice from musky hunter. If you don't have a boat, borrow a canoe from someone to access those locations he mentioned.

The munie is used for a lot of activities. I once found 10 five-gallon buckets with pot growing in them when I was bushwacking out there.

Good advice musky, when its on high ground I usually try and use a bike to get further back, when things get wet I pull out the canoe. When you find a nasty combination of wetness sprinkles with some high ground you usually find big bucks. Also don't be afraid to hunt those overlooked areas, some even very close to parking. Mature bucks get away from the pressure in either hard to reach or under your nose areas.

Although not an option now, I have cross country skied every inch of the municipal ski trials. The entire loop is about 12 miles and it's criss crossed, total length of all loops and cross overs must be about 20 miles. So when I ski I'm checking out potential hunting spots. I'm not kidding, you can get lost back there. But for short notice scouting, start by walking the paved Milleneun trail. Since it is fairly frequently used by hikers during the bow season I don't recommend using it as an access point, but it does cross ski trials and you can get a lay for the land now. I believe all of the trails are open to hunting. You can do the paved trail now for scouting. That is just the ski trails. Then add the snomobile trials, and then add the back roads where you can drive, park, and walk in and you have miles of access to woods all within the city limits. A little later the city mows much of the trail system, making it much easier to walk and a lot less wood-ticky. That should give you a good start.

Thanks for the help guys, I'll be using the boat method this season seems to be a great way to get some access into some hidden spots...and if it all comes to bust I can always leave a walleye rod with a pack of crawlers in it for the afternoon right....

'

Bear55:

If you aren't familliar with the City of Superior trail system I invite you to come up and bring your rollerblades and give it a try. Some of the paved trails go right through the open archery area. But you can't hunt from the trail, the Wisconsin regs state that an archer must be 50 yards off a trail used by the public. So the city hunt isn't quite as easy as I may have made it sound.