• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

MNTRAX ?

jerkbait

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking about getting this as well. I am curious to see any reviews. From the research I have done, it may not have the HD contour lines for lakes (like Navionics or Lake Master chips) but general contour is what I am looking for. Also would like to know how it works for marking tree stands deer trails, scrapes, etc.

I had seen the reviews last year. Was just asking now that there ihas been more time for people to use it. I am looking at it strictly for hunting and seeing the boundaries between state land and private land.

I have the MNTRAX 2010 version with the new updated minor roads. I would say it is very good. I have not seen any issues so far. I would recommend it. I also have the NDTRAX, and found it very accurate and handy.

I wanted something additional with my Garmin without breaking the bank for fishing and also hunting tool. I was looking at getting a H2O but saw this product and wondered if it would work for me on the water knowing it wasn't a very detailed fishing map but had the waters I fish. A lot cheaper than H20. I also like the idea of the upgraded maps for a reasonable price.

If others have tried it, let's hear your comments. Thanks!

MNTRAX provides a 100% money back guarantee policy so if there is anyone on this thread who mentioned they wish to sell it, they can return it.

For comments on it shows public land where it is not, I would appreciate you posting here with those details. This is the first time I have heard of this comment. As others have mentioned, potentially with early versions but not with late 2009 or 2010 versions.

MNTRAX is the only source I am aware of whether GPS or paper that shows the County Tax Forfeit land. Tax forfeit land is subject to change but MN sportsman have continued to ask for this data. This is the only piece of data that I believe may not be public and it may not appear public even if it is still Tax Forfeit. The map can be used for hunting, fishing, hiking, biking, and much more. It is the only map of its kind.

There is no other GPS map with WPA, WMA, NWR, SNAs, State Forest, National Forest, Tax Forfeit, State Land Management,National Parks and more. Plus you add over 1000 lakes with contours, and it is a great deal.

As far as roads and trails included, the road database is a merge of 4 different road sources to give the most roads possible. I have never heard that there are roads that do not exist, but they may be trails or were trails at one time that are now grown over. TIGER is a source of data that shows a lot of detail including some trails that are barely even classified as a trail but this is used for outdoor purposes not for basic travel to big cities. For ND, this is a great asset, as I use these all the time. It may not be a road that is designed as a main road, but it was a road/trail at one time.

For all the comments, both good and bad, feel free to ask right here.

Kirsch,

Are you sure ALL public hunting areas are on the chip? I bought mine last summer thinking it would be nice to drive up to a public hunting area and be able to check out the boundaries before hunting - and low and behold some were not on there.

I also wasn't as happy with some of the lake contours, they didn't seem as good as the detailed lake chip, right now the Mntrax card sits on my dresser.

I have the the Lowrance XOG and move it back and forth between my boat and pickup, I'll have to dig out the Mntrax card and take a drive.

BlackJack,

I have no idea how old of a MNTRAX card you are using so this could be part of the issue as early MNTRAX 2009 versions didn't have all the land types listed below.

MNTRAX 2010 includes:

Wildlife Management Areas (WMA)

National Wildlife Refuge (NWR)

Bureau of Land Management (BLM)

Waterfowl Production Areas (WPA)

State Management Land

County Tax Forfeit Land

State Parks

National Forests

State Forests

Scientific and Natural Areas (SNA)

and more.

Is it possible that there is some type of county program or other type of county, state, or federal land that is not on the map. Yes, this is always possible as I work off the data provided by the various entities and attempt to keep the map as current as possible. I also look for land types that I believe are pertinent to sportsman, so I don't include all public types if I believe they aren't relevant. The files were pulled in March of 2010. There is no other GPS map that has this much detail for the all around sportsman.

Please provide more specifics on the type of public land and GPS coordinates and I would be happy to verify why it isn't on the map or if it is on the latest 2010 map. Keep in mind there have been lots of additional land added since MNTRAX 2009 was released, so the first thing is to make sure is that you are on MNTRAX 2010. If you do not have 2010, MNTRAX would update you for free to try out the 2010 version.

The contours on MNTRAX are the DNR maps. Most of detailed lake maps are also from the DNR with the exception of their 1 foot contour lakes which have been surveyed by a private company. Are these more detailed, yes. However, you are buying a specific fishing program with them and if you happen to have some of the 1 foot lakes, that is great. I would hope they would have more for some lakes as they are more expensive, don't have nearly as attractive of an update policy and are mostly just for fishing. What you didn't say is all the additional land detail and other features that MNTRAX has that the detailed lake one doesn't.

Feel free to post here with the public land in question and I will look it up for you.

I bought mine last summer,

Used it all fall and erlier this spring.

Works pretty good for public lands and all.

BUT,

It is WORTHLESS when it comes to roads, mine shows interstates that down't exists.

It does not even recognise roads like hwy 23, Hwy 59, Hwy 29 and many many more don't exist at all.

SD Ice Angular,

Send me your's for updating and let me know if it changes. My guess is you are using a Lowrance. The map format on Lowrance GPS units are really goofy and for awhile I used Interstate highways to show boundaries of the hunting units. I am 99% sure this what you are referring to. I changed the boundaries on this a long time ago and this tells me you have a very old mapset. I have redid the roads, and have added about 60% more land so your map will look and function very different than the one you have now. I wish there was more color yet as exists on a Garmin but the later 2009 and 2010 versions are still much improved.

Send it back to me for an upgrade.

If you mention this thread, I will update your MNTRAX for free. You will be happy with the changes to MNTRAX 2010.

Well I received my MNTRAX chip back today. It is a world of difference. I have not really played with it much other than to see the difference.

I really appreciate you helping me out with this Korey. It looks like it will be very useful for this coming hunting season.

Great Customer Service

Thanks Again!!!!!!!!!!

Well I received my MNTRAX chip back today. It is a world of difference. I have not really played with it much other than to see the difference.

I really appreciate you helping me out with this Korey. It looks like it will be very useful for this coming hunting season.

Great Customer Service

Thanks Again!!!!!!!!!!

Korey,

I was in Southwest Minnesota today and I90 is labled as I694.

This is what it was doing the fist time but not nearly as bad.

Any advice???