• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

MNTRAX ?

jerkbait

TRAX maps are not planned for release via the Android Marketplace. An application used in the TRAX implemenation on the Droids called Navitel Navigator is part of the solution. The TRAX version for Android includes 3 pieces. First, it includes a physical memory card. This card contains the mapping images and it will be local on the card. This way it doesn't matter if you have cell coverage or not. The second part of the solution is the download of Navitel Navigator from the Android Marketplace. The third part of the solution is in the packaging with the microSD is a license key to use Navitel Navigator for the life of the Android device. The product will be available on the OutdoorProStore soon.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The product will be available on the Outdoor Pro Store soon.
I was just going to ask this question. I noticed android devices have an application, but on the OutdoorProStore it doesnt list it there.

Is the price the same for Android versus Garmin/Lowrance?

Captainmusky, as you mentioned the android version is not available yet on the OutdoorProStore. However, I can explain the process. When an Android version is purchased, it will include a pre-loaded microSD card where the maps are located as well as a key to an Android market application called Navitel Navigator. Once this app is downloaded to the included microSD card, and the key is entered, the TRAX map will work on the Droid device.

Price: The price is 99.99 for a TRAX map for Android so $20 more than a Garmin or Lowrance TRAX map. The difference in price is due to the cost of the Android Marketplace app.

Kirsch

Captainmusky, as you mentioned the android version is not available yet on the OutdoorProStore. However, I can explain the process. When an Android version is purchased, it will include a pre-loaded microSD card where the maps are located as well as a key to an Android market application called Navitel Navigator. Once this app is downloaded to the included microSD card, and the key is entered, the TRAX map will work on the Droid device.

Price: The price is 99.99 for a TRAX map for Android so $20 more than a Garmin or Lowrance TRAX map. The difference in price is due to the cost of the Android Marketplace app.

Kirsch

Thanks. So, maybe another dumb question, but, will this same microSD work in my Lowrance HDS? Meaning I can load it in my phone, use the provided software, remove the chip and put in my Lowrance? Or is it something different?

Trying to kill two birds with one stone.

Thanks!

Acemac,

I wanted to update you as you have requested KTRAX maps for smartphones a number times. I can confirm the KTRAX maps will soon be available for Android smartphones at OutdoorProStore.com. There are 2 reasons why Droids and not iPhones (at least for now). The reasons are virtually all Droids have an internal GPS while most iphones do not as they use cellular triangulation to determine location. Also, iphones typically don't allow an application or apps to be loaded on a removable microSD card. Unfortunately requiring downloadable maps and cell service are not features that equate to a great outdoor GPS. These are a few of the reasons for KTRAX being available on Droid and not on iPhones at this time.

For those of you with Droids, this is great news. For those of you with iphones, complain to Apple that Droids have internal GPS devices and allow for local storage of data on memory cards and iphones typically do not.

The only iPhones that don't have internal GPS were the very first generation from four years ago.

The memory card is true, but I don't see why you couldn't use the internal storage.

tsande00,

Actually we are both saying the same thing. I may have gone a bit broad on my statement. I said "most" iPhones do not have an internal GPS. As far as I have read, the iPhone 3G and above have added A-GPS location abilities so it does have an internal GPS in the newer style iPhones. Anyway, Droids have a much more open interface along with other features of why I chose Droids first. I try to keep an open mind and at some point in the future, iPhones may be an option.

gtaggart,

I will add your suggestion to the list of states being requested. I attempted to work on a Wisconsin map when the TRAX series was first released in 2009. At that time, there was not enough good quality GIS data available at a county and state level to make a good TRAX map. 3 years of time can change a lot, so I have Wisconsin as a state I plan to look at this spring. This does not mean there will be a WITRAX in 2012 but I can say it will be evaluated again.

CaptainMusky,

This is a very good question and one that I get often. Although a microSD card fits in both your HDS, Garmins, and Droid smartphones, and many other devices, the type of map format is very different. In fact, your HDS actually requires a different map than even the Lowrance Endura handheld GPS units that also takes microSD cards. For Lowrance GPS units, I have to include 2 different maps on the microSD card, so it can be swapped between a Lowrance sonar unit and a Lowrance Endura handheld.

I wish it wasn't this way as in a perfect world, I could make one map and it could be used by every different device vs having to make different maps for different devices. You would need a map for your HDS and an Android map for the smartphone. The good news is I do have both.